Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    I'm interested, but a couple states south of you.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Ugh, if it wasnít so goddamn heavy Iíd throw it in the car with bikes and head south soon!🤣

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

We have had an RCF Chameleon since 2007 new construction. Itís kind of a hybrid fireplace with a catalytic system. We have only stowed the glass door a few times. It heats our 1700 sqf well without a blower. I think the best part of my setup though is the long straight double insulated straight pipe, so I am just jumping in here to say I think the pipe is one of the most important parts of the set up. We had to have the super expensive chimney because it is a chaise and needed extra length to get clearance from the roof peak. I am happy we had to invest in it though because every time we sweep it, we learn we just waisted our time and it was clean as a whistle, but we still sweep it every third year or so just in case.

Biggest weakness of this unit is that it has no damper, only the ability to control adjust air intake. If I am careful and particular I can keep her going 24/7, but really building a new fire isnít a big deal and we like the house cool at night anyway.

I did overfire her twice, both times beer, football, and old growth ponderosa pine were involved, but I got her cooled down in time without damage. We mostly burn oak, maple, and Doug fir.
    "Let's be careful out there."

In our house we have a cathedral ceiling with about 18 feet of double walled pipe and another 6 feet of double walled chimney. We have an older pre EPA cert wood stove with input and output dampers.

We burn mostly doug fir and broadleaf maple, seasoned at least one summer, but we get serious creosote buildup at the roof juncture which I have to clean out every year. I used to shut down the fire at night and get the burn going all night, which was likely a main contributor to the buildup.

It's a job I hate with a 4/12 metal roof. I put up a rope every year and just do it, but one of these years I'm going to hire it out. One year, I neglected it and we got a chimney fire which was thought provoking.

We just replaced the old feeble electric furnace from 1983 with a heat pump augmented with an electric furnace. In previous years, the wood stove was the primary heat source, using the fan from the crappy furnace and the air return, which is along the cathedral ceiling, to circulate the wood heat. With the new furnace, we hope to slow down on the burning.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    In our house we have a cathedral ceiling with about 18 feet of double walled pipe and another 6 feet of double walled chimney. We have an older pre EPA cert wood stove with input and output dampers.

We burn mostly doug fir and broadleaf maple, seasoned at least one summer, but we get serious creosote buildup at the roof juncture which I have to clean out every year. I used to shut down the fire at night and get the burn going all night, which was likely a main contributor to the buildup.

It's a job I hate with a 4/12 metal roof. I put up a rope every year and just do it, but one of these years I'm going to hire it out. One year, I neglected it and we got a chimney fire which was thought provoking.
    Same here. My chimney gets a moderate amount of creosote and I sweep it once a year, but my chimney cap gets super gummed up pretty quickly - I usually have to get up there once or twice a winter and bang it clean. Best thing I did was build a "ladder" by screwing a bunch of steps into the roof, built out of 2" aluminum angle. Makes getting up there to clean things much, much less sketchy. I can do it without a rope as long as it's not icy.

For 5 years I had a medium sized Vermont castings with a cat in a house i was caretaking.

IME its started easy & burned well, probably cuz the stove was in the middle of the house so the pipe was very long cuz it went straight out the peak of the roof for a great draw

but it only ever once ran all night which seems to be the holy grail of stoveness, still i think that requirement is misguided
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

When I burned in alaska I had a very clean pipe. Double/Tripple wall all the way, burn hot and dry and no creosote build up.

I'm about to install the tiniest epa certified stove I can find for my 240 square foot cabin w/ cathedral ceilings and will have two 45's in it. Not looking forward to getting back on my 8/12 pitch metal roof to punch a hole in but I have to get this done.

Been using a Rais Gabo for three winters in our cabin. It really projects the heat well and I've been able to get 8 hours at night if fully loaded right at bedtime. Very compact and efficient but it was in there when we bought the place so I don't know how it compares to similar stoves on price.

http://www.raisstoves.com/stoves/rais-gabo-wood-stove/