Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankZappa View Post
    While you're at it, you might as well do the same thing to the motor on the dryer.
    ...and change the oil on the truck
    ...and do a load of laundry
    -They all take the same things. A lil clean-out, a lil freshnin up, and the same amount of beer.
    Laundry is where I'm a viking.

Bumping this old thread. I've lived in a house in the Adirondacks that has a 1980's era Vermont Castings Defiant stove in it. Pre EPA, but airtight, and more than enough to heat a roughly 1600 square foot house.

I've recently moved to Utah and I'm in the process of leasing a cabin that has a similar era Vermont Castings Resolute stove in it. Obviously this is a smaller stove, but they've had it overhauled recently so it has new gaskets and is in prime operating shape for it's age. The cabin is right around 1000 square feet. There is also propane and electric baseboard heating in the house but I would like to use the stove for as much heating as possible.

Anyone have experience with this model? Will it be adequate to heat the house? I'm planning on burning a blend of Pinion and Apple/Oak over the winter, and was thinking that around 6 cords should get me through. My burn season will likely be mid October to mid May. Input? Suggestions to get the most out of the stove/my wood?

The place is reasonably well insulated but it is older so I'm not expecting it to be the tightest, most draft free abode.

You should be all right. That little stove cranks. Depending on the lay out of the house you may want some doorway clip fans to circulate the heat. We use them and they work great.
    Mix that pinion in with the apple and oak and go with the harwood overnight slow burn.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

The owner is actually springing to put in a new Englander stove before I move in. EPA certified and very large for the square footage. I should easily be able to get 8-10 hour burn times out of a firebox that large, which will be great with my schedule.

The Englander seems to be very highly regarded, especially for the price point, and should throw significantly more heat.

Turns out the older Vermont Castings is so dated that they couldn't find anyone to work on it. It may have heated the space, but I would have needed it cranking all the time and would have been coming home to a cold house after being out for 10 hours.

Very excited to be heating with wood this winter.

Well that changes things - for the better! Nice.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

Is there such a thing as "over stoving" instaling too big of a stove for the house then having to burn damped down instead of hot to keep creseote buildup down?

Around here there is usually an inversion in winter (its usually 6C warmer up at the ski hill ) which keeps the smoke in the valley so to make for better air quality the gov is promoting clean burn which usually means running wood stoves hot
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I think you can definitely put too large a stove in a space. If this cabin was newer and better insulated, this new Englander stove (model 30-NCH) would be too much for the space, but given the current setup of the place, I think this stove will be just right in all but the spring/fall shoulder season.

I'm hoping that I can avoid this too by having a variety of wood to burn, some hardwoods for overnight burns and cold spells, pinion for every day and dead fall from the property (mixed pine/fir) for when I don't need a ton of heat.

Looking forward to hanging out in my underwear when it's -10 out.

If anyone wants an upgrade to their current stove, look no further. VT Castings are awesome,. These are better.

My new (since this thread started) 24" Elm Wildfire. Warming shelves have been added now too.

so, vermont casting, jotul, or lopi for a wood fireplace insert?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Is there such a thing as "over stoving" instaling too big of a stove for the house then having to burn damped down instead of hot to keep creseote buildup down?

Around here there is usually an inversion in winter (its usually 6C warmer up at the ski hill ) which keeps the smoke in the valley so to make for better air quality the gov is promoting clean burn which usually means running wood stoves hot
    Never sold stoves so limited to the experience I have had. Seems you would only loose out on overpaying and occupying a bit larger space with a bigger stove. Just put less wood in at a time and it should burn just as well as a smaller stove. The problem with small stoves is that their run times are shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by keipow View Post
    My brother has an insert, I put the stove in front of the fireplace and ran the pipe up the flu-we have different living room spaces. I would go with what seems best from the local showrooms. Vermont Castings reputation has fallen on hard times.

This thing looks cool.

The WiseWay stove relies on gravity and draft to keep it going. There are no augers or blowers to fail and leave you out in the cold. It really cranks out the heat, up to 58,000 BTU's, and it's easily regulated by opening or closing the damper. The stove requires minimal maintenance compared to a conventional pellet stove. Come on by, see the stove, and feel the heat.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Quote Originally Posted by keipow View Post
    I grew up with Jotul's

Bump. Starting to stove shop. We have an old, pretty big Pacific Energy stove that works ok, but it doesn't burn very cleanly and it's oversized for our space. Some prior owner did some questionable modifications to it, which I don't think are helping the situation. Looking to replace with something a little smaller that burns cleaner and longer.

What's the collectives thoughts on catalytic vs. non catalytic stoves? I've owned a bunch of non-cat stoves and they've generally been ok, but not great. On all the stoves I've owned, if I load it up right before bed, they're pretty much out by morning. I'm burning 100% soft woods (mostly larch and fir), and the stove burns from mid October through April-ish. In theory, my wood is pretty dry. In reality, some of it's not quite as dry as it probably should be. Does that scenario seem like a cat stove is going to be a maintenance nightmare? Or is it going to get me the longer burn times I want without too much extra hassle?

I have run a Woodstock fireview soapstone stove for 16 years now. It is a catalytic stove. Just need to clean the element once during the season and once at end. Wood is wood to a degree, but softwood will burn faster and thus hotter. I mention this because you have to get the stove up to temperature before throwing the diverter to have the exhaust run over the catalytic element. Burns more efficient for the environment and more heat for you per log. Stoves are made n the northeast and everyone burns mostly hardwoods so you may ask them or whoever you go with how they play with the catalytic converter as they operate above a certain temperature.

Not asked, but I will never buy another stove without a window as not only is the fire enjoyable to watch, but you can gauge when more wood is needed. Soapstone does a nice job of modulating the heat.

This one is pricey, but sometimes there are sales.
    https://www.woodstove.com/the-progre...rid-wood-stove

Its my understanding that you cannot have a clean and long burning stove, so i have an old VT castings that has enough coals to easily ignite itself after 10 hours, for another 10 hours.

If timed just right an overnight burn can peak early morning for us.

I hope in my lifetime we can invest in a ground loop heat pump but I will still miss the ol gal when shes gone

This is my home unit. It’s not a catalytic stove. Buddy has a Vermont Castings catalytic and hates it. I kind of wonder if it’s user error on his end.

Regardless, this Morso is super basic yet clean and hot. I love it.

I generally burn one log the size of my calf or thigh in an hour with the flue fully open. At night I’ve been known to put a few logs in and close the flue 90% to have some coals in the morning. But I generally consider that a waste unless it’s February blizzard season and we’ll lose heat quickly.

The air-wash system rocks. The glass is huge. And the flue results in a lot of control.

https://morsoe.com/en/product/indoor...g-stove/p_7110

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thanks all. I was eyeing those Woodstock stoves - those things look well made. It seems like most people I know have non-cat stoves, but I'm not sure if there's a reason for that other than there are a lot of old, cheap stoves around.

I don’t know. I think my modern yet simple stove is vastly superior to the old stove I grew up with. The design of the airflow through the stove walls, internal pipes, firebox, and up through the exhaust pipe is all relative.

For sure the epa has been getting after woodstove manufacturers to meet design criteria and it has shown. I have the fireview Woodstock stove. On real cold nights I need to give it a middle of the night feed.

Wood Stove Home Heat thread

Those woodstocks are pretty.

I’ve also been curious about soapstone. Seems like it would cut down on wood consumption.

My stove will likely go into the garage in a few years. I want a new wood heater/oven. We cook a lot of soups on top. And that’s rad. But baking is also intriguing. I haven’t researched it very thoroughly yet though.

Just got a new Quadra Fire for the house. Anyone want a Napoleon 2500 used one season? Same issue as Toast describes, just can’t quite hold a fire through the night. Putting an old stove in the shop, well, just because. Curious to hear more about the soap stone stoves if anyone has one. Almost went that route, but the slow to build up heat killed it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    Just got a new Quadra Fire for the house. Anyone want a Napoleon 2500 used one season? Same issue as Toast describes, just can’t quite hold a fire through the night. Putting an old stove in the shop, well, just because. Curious to hear more about the soap stone stoves if anyone has one. Almost went that route, but the slow to build up heat killed it for me.

I'm interested, but a couple states south of you.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I've been running a blaze king princess for 2 seasons(replaced an old quadra fire insert). Its cat and I love it. One I got it dialed it's no problem to wake up and get it cranking again. Besides a very small electric baseboard and in wall heater in bathroom it's our only heat source. I'm in MT as well and pretty much only burn lodgepole and Doug fir.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

I’m knee deep in this too. The 25(d) tax credit is 26% of whole project cost (I’m in need of carpentry, chimney pipe, etc., so it will be a big bull) if your stove/insert is above a certain efficiency (75% hhv) if installed or invoiced in 2022. I think it’s reduced next year to 22%.

The epa maintains a database of qualifying stoves here: https://cfpub.epa.gov/oarweb/woodsto...sortby=EffSort

Me too. Metal roof on the #dreamshack, 12" hole cut to allow 2" clearance on 8" exterior diamter 60" double walled chimney. Cutting splinters and jags from the hole to ensure clearance.

Now screwing around with trying to fit the support box, planning on the tiny jotul.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<