My f-ing neck (CB Creeks Report)

This past weekend I ran O-be-Joyful and Daisey creeks outside of Crested Butte. Not the hair but certainly a step up for me. Three small mountain cascades, the Slate, OBJ and Daisey flow out of 12K+ plus peaks just west of CB. You can camp right at the confluence and hike all the runs. Here's some 400 foot per mile goodness. So much fun!

Right at the put in, peel out and go

Some in between stuff

Just above the log eddy of death in the middle of the 80' slide

Ferry out of the log eddy

The big slide LEOD on the left

Perfect line through the lateral on the final slide

Final slide - go left under the bushes

There are plenty of other drops that we didn't get pics of. The big falls is the 25 footer. I went deep and whiplashed onto my back deck. Must remember to tuck next time.
    Last edited by Foggy_Goggles; 06-15-2004 at 06:12 AM.

nice Foggy! Those are some great shots! The OBJ has always sounded so damn good. Wished I were a better boater when I lived in CO. Hows the flows for the state looking?

Some Montucky stoke for ya, we're looking to run this guy sometime soon.

Last year on West Gallatin
    Last edited by FreakofSnow; 06-14-2004 at 11:50 PM.

Thumbs up

Love this pic:

Way out of my league. Good stuff FG.

Thanks Foggy, much sicker than 10 mile which we lapped this past weekend. Sick dude. Keep the TR's coming.

Freak, that's big! The hole on the bottom drop looks nasty. Flows just peaked I think. #s was at 2K and now it's back down the 1K. Clear Creek maxed about 600. Poudre might have gotten to 3' on the rock. Bailey will run all summer and I love that run.

That drop is a ten footer, fairly high volume, maybe 1000 ceefees. Right after that pic was taken of me I proceeded to miss my boof and pencil straight in. Didn't touch bottom, popped up under the falls and hit my roll .

The one you can see above is Ousel Falls, about a 40 footer. Only been ran once by my nutty buddy Dave the hand paddler.

Yes, he is hand paddling that. A few weeks later, Alex Allen ran it and broke his back

Lots more OBJ pics on American Whitewater

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/ri...d/3375/#rapid2

Wasn't OBJ part of the Teva Whitewater Games?

What's the time frame for those 3 creeks usually? Maybe I'll try hard and make it out there next time they are flowing.

Good work!
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

Originally posted by BakerBoy
    Wasn't OBJ part of the Teva Whitewater Games?

What's the time frame for those 3 creeks usually? Maybe I'll try hard and make it out there next time they are flowing.

Good work!
    The creek race for the games was on Homestake outside of Vail.

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/rivers/id/3415/

The Slate, OBJ, Daisey and East generally run during peak runoff (Mid-May to Mid-June most years). The problem is the flow can vary drastically day to day. If it gets cloudy the snowpack locks up and they won't run for a day or two. Also, you woun't catch me in there at very high water. Basically, plan a CO vacation if our snowpack is good and catch them if you can.