Ski rack or box?

I swear I searched and found nothing relevant....

But I'm about to drive my new car NY --> CO and somehow my ski equipment ended up with me in NY, which amounts to more than everything else I own combined. The problem is, what was supposed to be the perfect ski car can't fit one pair of 175 skis lengthwise even with the seats down.

I could run out and buy a ski rack, or use an old thule box carrier we have lying around.

Is my already dismal gas mileage going to be noticeably affected by the box on a 2000 mile trip?

or, is 2000 miles on a regular ski rack going to ruin my skis?

Thanks for the help in advance...
    I'm having the best time being off my pickle and feeling the music. -HT

I've had a box up top for >10years ,I have put all kinds of stuff up there from computer parts to crutches

your milage already sucks and you gotta put the skis up there anyhow so just use the box

can't imagine life without a thule box

I've driven cross country about 8 times in my Subie and never noticed a substantial loss of gas milage,or damage to the skis.

If your going solo just put the tips of the skis over the passenger seat.
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermittent
    And furthermore. What is up with turkey bacon? Healthy bacon? Unpossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowsprite
    That is like masturbation. People resort to it when they can't have the real thing!

My mileage dropped from 27 to 26.5 when I put the box on instead of using a traditional carrier, or about 1.9 percent.

On a 2000 mile trip, this means you're burning about 1.39 gallons more fuel, or about $5.50. Use the box, it will protect your skis better.

To clarify, by unsubstantial, I usually see about 1 mpg loss when I am driving cross country, but that is with both the skis in the rack and in the car. I think the bigger issue with mpg loss is with the extra amount of weight in your car.
    That is like masturbation. People resort to it when they can't have the real thing!

Quote Originally Posted by StroupSkier View Post
    To clarify, by unsubstantial, I usually see about 1 mpg loss when I am driving cross country, but that is with both the skis in the rack and in the car. I think the bigger issue with mpg loss is with the extra amount of weight in your car.
    I feel like the weight would be much less of an issue one that drive since 80%+ of it is traveling on flat ground at a constant speed. But perhaps the extra weight makes for extra road friction, and I'm sure that it uses a bit more fuel every time you accelerate.

P.S. Are you back on the southern fried snow? I thought that you moved to Denver.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    I feel like the weight would be much less of an issue one that drive since 80%+ of it is traveling on flat ground at a constant speed. But perhaps the extra weight makes for extra road friction, and I'm sure that it uses a bit more fuel every time you accelerate.

P.S. Are you back on the southern fried snow? I thought that you moved to Denver.
    I ended up in Cali instead

If you are going to put the skis on top of your car put them in the box. Either way you will see a minimal decrease in gas mileage due to an object being attached to your roof. I am no expert in aerodynamics but I would find it hard to believe that one way over the other causes a greater amount of drag while driving. Protect the ski and just use the thule.
    Don't be that guy. That guy is dead.
    www.skimavrick.smugmug.com

Helldawg Guest
    If u already have the box, it's a no-brainer.

i have a rack... wish i had a box cause the extra space could be useful, and on long wet trips my skis get nasty. The only thing i have put on my ski rack other than skis and boards has been a long board, a swim suit, and a cardboard shark fin (twas badass)

Helldawg Guest

Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    i have a rack... wish i had a box cause the extra space could be useful, and on long wet trips my skis get nasty. The only thing i have put on my ski rack other than skis and boards has been a long board, a swim suit, and a cardboard shark fin (twas badass)
    Your original post sez...

"I could run out and buy a ski rack, or use an old thule box carrier we have lying around."

I'm so confused...?

Quote Originally Posted by StroupSkier View Post
    If your going solo just put the tips of the skis over the passenger seat.
    I rigged up a system ( piece 0f 1x2 over the rear seat cieling handles, and a ratcheting cord from the rear seat belt points) and effectively pin my skiis up to the inside of the roof of my car. I can get 3 pairs of skiis up there!
    Last edited by Huckin eh?; 06-24-2008 at 08:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    what happened to Shadam this year? Usually by now he is posting drinking reports daily.

Well, I originally thought that having a huge box on the top would make my gas mileage worse, I feel like I heard that somewhere. Guess I was wrong.

Might take the old box (although it has a broken hinge) or just leave the skis at home for the summer and bring them out later.

I like ^ that idea of rigging them to the roof inside. Pics??

Quote Originally Posted by Huckin eh? View Post
    I rigged up a system ( piece 0f 1x2 over the rear seat cieling handles, and a ratcheting cord from the rear seat belt points) and effectively pin my skiis up to the inside of the roof of my car. I can get 3 pairs of skiis up there!
    Hey that sounds great. Got pics?

Sorry Dude!
    Didnt take any detailed pics. And I am separated from my car by about 4500km until next Wednesday. If you leave after July 3rd check in to this thread and I'll try to snap a photo of the set up for everyone when I get home.
    Last edited by Huckin eh?; 06-24-2008 at 09:00 PM.
    what happened to Shadam this year? Usually by now he is posting drinking reports daily.

I'd still like to see pictures if you have the chance!

Since I'm leaving in two days I think I'm going to postpone figuring out the ski rack situation, since I don't need a box on all summer and don't have anywhere to keep it. I might get one in the fall but I'm still looking at other options.

I use the Packasport 90 and will never ever switch to another manufacturer. They are bvuilt with reninforece fiberglass using laminations of aluminum cormat and foam. I can't get over the fact that they are all carpeted, come with all marine-grade hardware, locks and even use lift-assit heavy-duty gas shocks.

Best of all, they look great BUT they will adjust your gas milage. I figure that when going to and from the mountain I put the car under a lot more stress in general, but I lose about 3-4 miles a gallon.

I will never go back to a ski rack because the amount of money I invest in my skis, I hate seeing the checmicals, garbage and general grime accumlated from the road.

If you have a single pair, just throw them in the car. If you wanna pony up, get a Packasport

here you go. perhaps some info in here
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...hlight=mileage
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

[QUOTE=nikster140;1899261]Well, I originally thought that having a huge box on the top would make my gas mileage worse, I feel like I heard that somewhere. Guess I was wrong.

Might take the old box (although it has a broken hinge) or just leave the skis at home for the summer and bring them out later.
    QUOTE]

Yeah thats a popular debate but only now that fuel$ are up ,IMO its not the 1 or 2 MPG thats the killer its the fact that folks choose to drive a gas pig and suddenly realize the cost of their actions

My thule box has 4 hinges ,I wouldnt worry about 1 being broken ,usually the rivets pull out and its easy to fix them with a poprivet tool.Or just thro a thule strap around the whole thing or even ductape

after 10 years my thule is developing minor cracks ,must be getting brittle from the UV and >500,000km of constant vibration .Thats easily fixable from the INSIDE with 12 hr 2 part epoxy and fibreglass cloth ,for cosmetic appeal thro a sticker over anything that looks too ugly

I found if you leave skis in a box and the temp gets above zero they WILL rust ...I always take em out at home to warm up & dry

Quote Originally Posted by Helldawg View Post
    If u already have the box, it's a no-brainer.
    seriously.

I lose ~2-3 mpg in the winter when I have the box on top and sandbags in the back of my truck. So you will lose a little, but not a ton. And you will also lose some with just a ski rack, probably not as much. The box (which you already have) will protect your skis and probably fit other stuff too. This one is simple.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I would think that you would lose more mileage with a ski rack rather than a ski box. Given that the box is at least somewhat aerodynamic vs. the ski rack, which has a very clumsy forward footprint. Either way, the difference between having a ski rack and a ski box is less then negligible (MPG speaking), while one protects your skis, the other one doesn't.

Throw some epoxy on there and you're good to go. No constest.
    "Life's not a bitch. Life's a beautiful woman. You only call her a bitch 'cause she won't let you get that pussy." - Aesop

Here is the pic of my how I rig my skiis under my roof.
    I will admit there are improvements to be made as the tails do scratch the back window.
    And to help them shift from side to side they do need something on the wood bar . I have some rubber sheet but no matter how I fasten them they still pull off eventually. For now I spiral a bungy cord around the tips that rest on the wood cross bar. However I got lazy and didnt spend enough time perfecting it. Shouldnt be too hard tho.

Last edited by Huckin eh?; 07-09-2008 at 08:32 AM. Reason: spelling

^^^^

thats awesome