Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
    You are too dumb to live.

The idea with "herd immunity" is that everyone that can be vaccinated, is.

That protects the people that cannot be vaccinated and the times the vaccine doesnt work.

The percentage needed to achieve herd immunity is different for different viruses because of different levels of contagiousness.

Also, note. The woman in Port Angeles that was basically murdered by anti vaxxers was vaccinated.

She had cancer and her immune system was not working.

Keep being selfish, America.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Why stop with the unvaccinated ones, ban all children from public spaces. The little shits shouldn't be seen or heard.
    Better yet, ban children, period. There are enough people. Trump says the country is full.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Better yet, ban children, period. There are enough people.
    I've been saying that for years. Fuckin' filthy breeders.

It's like people that cite the one guy who burned to death in his car because he was wearing a seat belt and couldn't get out, or their grandpa smoked two packs a day, but still lived to 100. It's not really worth your time trying to convince these people they are wrong, because they're too dumb to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Exactly. My making fun of herd immunity was based on the comment that one kid could cause an outbreak in a preschool where every other kid had vax.

The correct response is either:
    Some kids can’t get vax
    Sometimes the vax dont work.

The latest NY measles had three percent of the measles outbreak in kids with vax. So I guess it ain’t guaranteed.
    Exactly what? Did you read anything I wrote or linked?

We know that a certain percentage of the population cannot be vaccinated due to age/health, are immunocompromised, or vaccinated but did not seroconvert. We need the sum of those three nonimmune subpopulations to be less than 5.5% to have measles community immunity (Q0 needs to be 94.5% to achieve effective R0 less than 1 in the population for a true R0 of 18). ~2% are too young (<12-15mo old), ~1.5% are vaccinated and don't seroconvert (vaccine didn't confer immunity), ~1% are immunocompromised or medically unable to be vaccinated.

That adds up to about 4.5% of the population not immune to measles in the best possible vaccination scenario.

There is basically no buffer left (<1%) for preference or letting a vaccinatable person not be vaccinated because they want to "hide in the herd."

Herd immunity for measles is truly reliant on everyone getting vaccinated who can be and on schedule.

So yes, only a few voluntarily unvaccinated kids at a school can be the cause of failure of herd immunity when you have something as contagious as measles. Also remember I'm giving math for community immunity and base reproduction numbers in macro populations, but when dealing with small populations, they are non-uniform in contact/distribution and there are superspreaders too. Lastly, remember that community immunity (herd immunity) doesn't mean 0 secondary cases if index infection cases are introduced to a community immune population; community immunity means that the infection spread is immediately self-limiting: it "burns out" rapidly and the disease cannot remain endemic (naturally occurring through continual spread) in the population. With something as contagious as measles, in the best case community immunity vaccination scenario, you will get an average of just less than 1 secondary case if you introduce an index case from an outside population.

Here is a nice 2 minute conceptual demonstration of community immunity:

Epidemiology and infection prevention/control are based in proven mathematical models. You can pick the level of complexity you want to understand the topic:
    Algebra: https://allnurses.com/understanding-...n-how-t561777/
    Calculus: https://web.stanford.edu/~jhj1/teach...ones-on-R0.pdf
    Matrix calculus: https://mysite.science.uottawa.ca/rs...MAT3395/R0.pdf

We can build complex computer models that account for many real world variables over time. GleamVIZ is a great one, very complex, yet free.
    Last edited by Summit; 04-09-2019 at 01:12 PM. Reason: clarity
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Name:  index.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  5.5 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Let's not get too carried away with math

Name:  beautiful_mind.JPG
Views: 326
Size:  43.4 KB

We can build complex computer models that account for many real world variables over time. GleamVIZ is a great one, very complex, yet free.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

community immunity
    Hehehe..

Name:  jim-carrey-dumb-dumber.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  142.3 KB

community immunity
    Heh...

Name:  1xl4la.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  29.9 KB

Yes. I know.
    I’m an enormous child.

I'm sick of all these empty words
    that run through us in misery
    tomorrow there might not be a single soul left
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 04-09-2019 at 11:41 AM.

and it appears I've broken yet another thread.

balls.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    and it appears I've broken yet another thread.

balls.
    There's got to be an algorithm for who has the most "last post in thread" thread killer posts in the forum. Probably best compared with a kill ration of total posts/thread killer posts or something like that.

Core Shot has been vaccinated against Information, Critical thought and cognitive ability.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    There's got to be an algorithm for who has the most "last post in thread" thread killer posts in the forum. Probably best compared with a kill ration of total posts/thread killer posts or something like that.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...st-on-a-thread
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

de Blasio orders mandatory vaccinations for those possibly exposed to measles in NYC outbreak. "Fuck your religious/personal exemptions!" -de Blasio

de Blasio orders mandatory vaccinations for those possibly exposed to measles in NYC outbreak. "Fuck your religious/personal exemptions!" -de Blasio

Dat a scary woman: she be eaten' da meat of'n yo bones.

One of my local schools gets a “nod” https://www.motherjones.com/politics...kids-vaccines/

It’ll be interesting to see how it will be spun by anti-vaxxers if Sears gets his license revoked.

That school mentioned in the article had a measles problem a few years ago, but it never spread beyond the kid that brought it into the school. I have not read a good discussion about why it didn’t spread. The kid was at school for 2 days with measles before his parents took him to the doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    That school mentioned in the article had a measles problem a few years ago, but it never spread beyond the kid that brought it into the school. I have not read a good discussion about why it didn’t spread. The kid was at school for 2 days with measles before his parents took him to the doctor.
    Reproduction numbers for diseases are averages. Some people are superspreaders, some are the opposite. Plus who did the kid hang with and were they immune? Individual cases and secondaries vary across the realm of mathematical probability.

I'll laugh if that huckster Sears loses his license for his made up BS, just like that fraud Wakefield. They are personally responsible for kids getting sick. When Wakefield was stripped of his license, they should have disposed of it, forcibly, into his rectum.

I have an acquaintance from high school that parrots all that anti vax crap. I too hope that Sears gets his license yanked and she refers to him as "proof" she's right

She's been especially vocal this week w her crap in response to the CA vaccination law. She's not dumb, but her risk analysis is comical and any unique case will stir about a tirade of what abouts

Why Facts Don’t Change Our Minds
    New discoveries about the human mind show the limitations of reason.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Why Facts Don’t Change Our Minds
    New discoveries about the human mind show the limitations of reason.
    Shit KQ, THIS, will end most of our best/worst threads here... how dare you.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Shit KQ, THIS, will end most of our best/worst threads here... how dare you.
    Eh... no matter.... according to the article no one is going to believe it anyway.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Reproduction numbers for diseases are averages. Some people are superspreaders, some are the opposite. Plus who did the kid hang with and were they immune? Individual cases and secondaries vary across the realm of mathematical probability.
    Thanks for the response and additional info.

Here is a follow-up press release from the county about 2 weeks after the exposure incident. What it does not say is that the 100 kids that had to home quarantine was about 25% of the total student body. https://www.mynevadacounty.com/Docum...---Revised-PDF

The fact the no other measles cases were reported to occur was really surprising to me. I feel like I have seen academic-based follow-up if similar incidents several years after the incident.