Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I guess it's a regional thing. In CA it's frequently as I described. Private Waldorf schools have by far the highest non vacc rates in the state, even after the state banned all but medical exemptions. There are certainly plenty of families that meet SJG's description as well.
    In “our” county, it’s also the JWs and Christian scientists.

Ooops. Measles infection may wipe out memory/immunity to other pathogens.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-03324-7

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I guess it's a regional thing. In CA it's frequently as I described. Private Waldorf schools have by far the highest non vacc rates in the state, even after the state banned all but medical exemptions. There are certainly plenty of families that meet SJG's description as well.
    Regional makes sense. I admit to media bias as well. When I think of west coast anti vaxers I think of Jenny McCarthy types.. But there's RF Kennedy Jr as well though out on the east coast.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    It seems some people are prone to a conspiracy theory gene. Doesn’t seem particularly related to education or political bent, I’ve met all types of antivaxxers but conspiraphilia is the only common theme I’ve noticed
    Remember earlier in the year when the Orthodox Jewish community in New York went all anti-vax because of a concerted effort by a group to distribute information aimed specifically at them?

Then there is this:

Her son died. And then anti-vaxers attacked her

All this reminds me it's time to get a flu shot. Just had our first death in WA.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

It seems some people are prone to a conspiracy theory gene. Doesn’t seem particularly related to education or political bent, I’ve met all types of antivaxxers but conspiraphilia is the only common theme I’ve noticed
    PM Spats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

This is why I've been expecting WronG johnson to start posting about how vaccines are just another conspiracy for scientists to line their pockets. Call them "epidemic alarmists" LOL

You guys saying it's a partisan thing haven't kept up...
    From 2017:
    http://theconversation.com/anti-vacc...rization-81001

And then it's gotten worse:
    https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/...san-dangerous/
    https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...stream-1344955

Prominent GOP consultant Mike Madrid has been calling out the GOP a bunch on this recently. Here's a thread where he shares some thoughts in addition to his SacBee op-ed from September. Some good replies too.
    https://twitter.com/madrid_mike/stat...827675136?s=20
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Remember earlier in the year when the Orthodox Jewish community in New York went all anti-vax because of a concerted effort by a group to distribute information aimed specifically at them?

Then there is this:

Her son died. And then anti-vaxers attacked her

All this reminds me it's time to get a flu shot. Just had our first death in WA.
    seems like one more good reason to avoid (anti)social media.

Re: the Orthodox Jews who are antivaxers, most of the leadership of those communities support vaccination and there's certainly nothing in Judaism that opposes vaccination. It is not a religious thing; it's another example of social conformity--if your friends are antivaxers you will be too.

I also think that anti vaccination is something that pops up when people have too much time on their hands--in religious communities and affluent communities where women don't work, for example. Seems to me a busy working mother is a lot more motivated to keep her kid from getting measles or the flu. Call BS if you want, I can't defend this theory.

pretty bad measles outbreak in Samoa, which is now entered American Samoa. It seems reasonable to me that this will end up in HI soon.

It seems pretty simple to me. Foreign interests who want discord and disagreement in the US used social media to raise awareness about many falsehoods. Only a couple stuck, and the anti-vax movement was one. Morons were susceptible.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I'm hearing rumblings that a lot of people over age 50 would need to get a MMP booster as the doses given when we/they were children are no longer effective. So, even if you did get measles vaccine as a child, you might still be vulnerable to getting it if exposed. How's that for a fun fact.. er um fun FUCKED..

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I'm hearing rumblings that a lot of people over age 50 would need to get a MMP booster as the doses given when we/they were children are no longer effective. So, even if you did get measles vaccine as a child, you might still be vulnerable to getting it if exposed. How's that for a fun fact.. er um fun FUCKED..
    What about if you actually got measles as a kid? Would your immune system still protect you or has it changed enough over the decades where you're pretty much screwed anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    What about if you actually got measles as a kid? Would your immune system still protect you or has it changed enough over the decades where you're pretty much screwed anyway?
    Measles has a low mutation rate relative to many infectious viruses and is actually pretty stable. Most people would still be protected but those with compromised immune systems or other underlying infections/diseases would be more succeptible.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Just go get your shot.
    It's easy and insurance covers it.
    Got my booster back in March.
    Needed to be up to date with overseas travel last summer.

Isnt the word Christian Scientist an oxymoron ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Check out Christian Science nurses!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...hboring-samoa/

I agree, Kennedy should take his family to Samoa, help care for the victims, and eat a bag of dicks

Quote Originally Posted by TWINS View Post
    Just go get your shot.
    It's easy and insurance covers it.
    Got my booster back in March.
    Needed to be up to date with overseas travel last summer.
    I asked about it at CVS minute clinic.. at my PCP, and at the provider urgent care while there for flu shots. All three couldn't tell me where I can go to get the ADULT booster, Maybe I should have asked about the travel booster. Is it still MMP or just measles?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...hboring-samoa/

I agree, Kennedy should take his family to Samoa, help care for the victims, and eat a bag of dicks
    Well played, Sir!
    Seconded.

I asked about it at CVS minute clinic.. at my PCP, and at the provider urgent care while there for flu shots. All three couldn't tell me where I can go to get the ADULT booster, Maybe I should have asked about the travel booster. Is it still MMP or just measles?
    We don't give boosters to people with presumptive immunity, which includes having MMR twice. No 3rd dose... Not even to health workers in outbreaks. It is not necessary. Life long immunity against measles from MMRx2 is high enough. Super high. In fact for adults we assume immunity with one dose. The only time we give MMR booster in adults is if they never got one ever, or are considered high risk (like international travel) AND they only ever got one MMR dose.

Other exceptions to the no boosters rule would be someone born before 1957 without serological evidence in a high risk situation like an outbreak or international travel... Or some who received unknown or killed measles vaccine from 1963 through 1967 during childhood. These two exceptions are probably what you are thinking of for old peope needing boosters. Whoever didn't know this should review their preventative care. CDC/ACIP guidelines are readily available.

The vaccine/dosing are the same. But maybe they didn't know what an MMP is
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Here is the healthcare providers guidance https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/mmr...endations.html

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Here is the healthcare providers guidance https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/mmr...endations.html
    Ya if I said MMP instead of MMR I definitely said "measles" in the conversation. One of the nurses at my PCP said they tested her before giving her a new booster but that wasn't something they offered there, recommended the city health department. I called and they said only children and international travelers, immigrants, etc.

Thanks. Not sure if I qualify, born after 57 and pretty sure I did get the full regiment as a child. I guess they'd want to test me to check the effectiveness of those previous doses before approving a new booster.

Ya if I said MMP instead of MMR I definitely said "measles" in the conversation. One of the nurses at my PCP said they tested her before giving her a new booster but that wasn't something they offered there, recommended the city health department. I called and they said only children and international travelers, immigrants, etc.

Thanks. Not sure if I qualify, born after 57 and pretty sure I did get the full regiment as a child. I guess they'd want to test me to check the effectiveness of those previous doses before approving a new booster.
    We no longer recommend measles titers (tests) if you had 2 MMRs because you can have a negative titer and usually still be immune if you got 2 rounds, as in MMR twice gives 99% of people lifetime immunity to measles.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    We no longer recommend measles titers (tests) if you had 2 MMRs because you can have a negative titer and usually still be immune if you got 2 rounds, as in MMR twice gives 99% of people lifetime immunity to measles.
    How can anyone born in the 60s before electronic records know for sure they got 2 doses? Odds are pretty good that I did because we went to live in Korea for a little while when I was 6. But, being an army brat who had at least 8 different primary care doctors before I was in elementary school and at least that many since, there is no way I could track down the records from when I was a child.

How can anyone born in the 60s before electronic records know for sure they got 2 doses? Odds are pretty good that I did because we went to live in Korea for a little while when I was 6. But, being an army brat who had at least 8 different primary care doctors before I was in elementary school and at least that many since, there is no way I could track down the records from when I was a child.
    3 shots for your dumb ass then
    Move upside and let the man go through...