Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC

UFC

So as not to royally cunt up any concurrent fighting/martial arts threads...

Any maggots like the UFC?

While honestly I'd rather watch K-1, the UFC is what we get here in the US, and I'm not afraid to admit I'm a big fan.

WHAT A NIGHT, last night on the ultimate fighter season finale!!! Amir fights CB for the right to go to the final. Intense fight, AWESOME action, for 3 rounds, and an incredible ending. Then in the craziest twist in 7 seasons of TUF, finalist (and meathead) Jesse gets booted for his drunken vegas tirade, and top pick Tim Creuder faces off against top pick CB in the fight that never happened, and that fight is even better than the first fight of the night, with the guys going toe-to-toe for most of the 3 rounds, and trading some HUGE shots. Awesome action the whole time.

The LIVE finale now is a REMATCH of the Amir/CB fight, which has never happened on TUF.

It was an incredible night, maybe the best in the 7 years the show has been on... For those who missed it, it get replayed tonight on SPIKE at 11pm est.

Gman is offline Mack Master William Large
    I think CB is a boring fighter. He just takes people down and lays on top of them, he could barely pass Amir's guard and he wasn't doing that much damage. Yea he opened up a cut with an elbow but every time he got tagged on the feet he would shoot for the take down. I'm hoping amir has been working on his TD defense and knocks CB out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    I think CB is a boring fighter. He just takes people down and lays on top of them, he could barely pass Amir's guard and he wasn't doing that much damage. Yea he opened up a cut with an elbow but every time he got tagged on the feet he would shoot for the take down. I'm hoping amir has been working on his TD defense and knocks CB out.
    Really? I thought that about Jesse. I was psyched he lost his spot in the final. (I even predicted it when I saw the preview, cause the guy was clearly NOT that smart...)

While I agree that Amir fought better on the ground (especially in the guard, where he was SOLID), I think CB's stand-up was fine, (even if he didnt use it much in that fight) and I thought he controlled the fight; he had more take downs, landed more shots, fought on top longer, did more damage, etc. I definitely think he wins that fight if it goes to the cards. And in the Creuder fight, he stood almost the whole time and I thought he looked REAL good, landing a bunch of straight right bombs, some nice hooks, a bunch of solid leg and body thai kicks, and plenty of other punishment. He also took some shots, showed he has a chin, and pretty much took the fight to Credeur the whole time, who has some solid stand up himself. If CB throws more combos (he threw lotsa 1 punch or kick "combos", no real 1-2-anything), I think he destroys Credeur. Their fight was awesome, one of the best all season, and Amir/CB wasnt far behind in exitement. You really thought they were boring? I'm stoked to watch it all again tonight...

Definitely rooting for Amir in the final though, and I think its gonna be a sick fight. Cant wait.

Boxing is dead --- UFC is the future.
    "Hold my beer...Watch this!"

A couple of weekends ago Spike had an Ultimate Fighter Marathon, I found myself tuning in for the fight instead of painted like I should have been. That kind of action, intensity and blood was great. Then to see the fighters smile and laugh about it after the fight was really interesting. I think I will now tune into more MMA events.

Quote Originally Posted by freezorburn View Post
    Boxing is dead --- UFC is the future.
    Not so fast I hear Kimbo is going the become a boxer to try and help save boxing.

The local boxing gym will have nothing to do with MMA the owner hates it. The owner of the academy were I train called the boxing gym owner last year to see if they would be interested in put on some clinics for us and apparently the gym owner went off on how MMAs not really a sport and he was insulted that he was even asked to run a clinic.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

I prefer K-1 as well and I wonder why it never took off in the US. In Asia where both MMA and K-1 overtook boxing many years ago, K-1 became far more popular than Pride. As a sport it is easier for the layman to appreciate than MMA and even most hardened MMA fans seem to prefer a fight that stays standing. Furthermore the quality of the stand up fighters barring a few exceptions is higher in k-1. Oh well, I guess Americans like the idea of a "real" fight.
    Days on snow this season: 54 Last Season: 83

www.poachninja.com

A guy from my gym is fighting on the undercard on this Saturday night on the Ultimate Fight Night Live. Rob Kimmons, fighting Rob Yundt. Rob is 20-3 and is FINALLY getting his shot. IMO, the undercard is a HELL of a lot better than the televised fights. Fisher and Amir are the only 2 guys I care about on the aired portion...
    Kansas - First Of The Rectangle States

OK I finally watched the fight last night off my DVR as you guys all talked it up...

It was a tremendous fight...however I dont know what fight the judges were watching because I think Tim took rounds 1 and 3 and ALL the judges voted unanimously.??? Sup with that??? CB didn't win all three rounds...not in the fight I was watching.

The finale should be fantastic......Amir/CB II...if CB wins we'll need a rubber match!!!!

And forrest/rampage....mmmmmm how fun...great fight weekend.

that Jesse dude's an idiot. built like a caveman with the brain of an 8 yr old.

the Amir/CB fight should be good, seemed after CB lost he wasnt as annoyingly cocky.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    OK I finally watched the fight last night off my DVR as you guys all talked it up...

It was a tremendous fight...however I dont know what fight the judges were watching because I think Tim took rounds 1 and 3 and ALL the judges voted unanimously.??? Sup with that??? CB didn't win all three rounds...not in the fight I was watching.

The finale should be fantastic......Amir/CB II...if CB wins we'll need a rubber match!!!!

And forrest/rampage....mmmmmm how fun...great fight weekend.
    You don't have to win all three rounds to earn a unanimous decision. It just meant that all three judges gave the fight to CB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim J View Post
    You don't have to win all three rounds to earn a unanimous decision. It just meant that all three judges gave the fight to CB.
    Oh I know...I just dont see how they couldve seen it so "one sided"...I must have been watching a different fight.

CB: for a guy that claims/IS and awesome wrestler he couldnt pass the guard of a guy who is admittedly HORRIBLE on the ground?

FWIW both those guys can take a friggin punch!

Cant wait to see it Sat night!

Man... I cant believe that Amir/CB fight ended the way it did!!!!!!

Best fight of the night? I'd say either Diego Sanchez vs. Firoivante or Fisher vs. Stephens.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodore View Post
    A guy from my gym is fighting on the undercard.. Rob Kimmons
    Looks like your boy handled his shit, huh?.. congrats!

Too bad SPIKE had to show a few more commercials, though, so they didnt show that fight.. (or a few others). It's not like it took that long?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Looks like your boy handled his shit, huh?.. congrats!

Too bad SPIKE had to show a few more commercials, though, so they didnt show that fight.. (or a few others). It's not like it took that long?
    That he did! My friend was there and called me doing the "so you wanna know how Rob's fight went??" thing. Needless to say, I was/am about as happy as I can be for him. I'm still looking for the vid, heard he won via guillotiene from top mount. If I can't find the vid soon, I'll just get it from ufc on demand. That makes him 21-3! Woot!!!!! Congrats Rob!

Just watched your MMA fight, Ted. Nice work.
    I should want to cook him a simple meal, but I shouldn't want to cut into him, to tear the flesh, to wear the flesh, to be born unto new worlds where his flesh becomes my key.

Thanks! I'm assuming you watched the first one only...

Fischer versus Stevens was a good one. Kendall Grove and Evan "Target" Tanner both sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    Not so fast I hear Kimbo is going the become a boxer to try and help save boxing.

The local boxing gym will have nothing to do with MMA the owner hates it. The owner of the academy were I train called the boxing gym owner last year to see if they would be interested in put on some clinics for us and apparently the gym owner went off on how MMAs not really a sport and he was insulted that he was even asked to run a clinic.
    That owner sounds like sounds like some of the guys I knew, or met, when I was a kid. They'd start a fight, and then complain that I'd only beat them by "cheating". By "cheating" they meant using judo, ju-jitsu, etc. These guys thought fighting meant boxing.
    Interesting to see one of them grew up to own a boxing gym.

Oh, and I really hope Kimbo goes into boxing. And stays.
    Last edited by Cliff Huckable; 06-23-2008 at 12:07 AM.
    "Active management in bear markets tends to outperform. Unfortunately, investors are not as elated with relative returns when they are negative. But it does support the argument that active management adds value." -- independent fund analyst Peter Loach

Wow... finally was able to see Kimmons beat Yundt. He looked GOOD. Great sub attempts, the armbar he tried was SLICK! The guillotiene he finished him with was TIGHT! Awesome for Rob, I couldn't be happier for him!

That's your guy. right - know where we could see it? Just checked a couple places but couldn't find it.
    "Active management in bear markets tends to outperform. Unfortunately, investors are not as elated with relative returns when they are negative. But it does support the argument that active management adds value." -- independent fund analyst Peter Loach

Only place I found it was on ufc.com, I had to buy it for $2. If I can somehow steal it off of the stupid ufc player they make you dl, I'll rehost and put it up for all to view.

Get it while its up! Not sure how long it will be until the UFC juggernaut takes it down.

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/Video...10000512&tid=0

Wow that kid is fun to watch on the ground.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    Wow that kid is fun to watch on the ground.
    Watch? Yes. Be a punching dummy for? No.

My left elbow still clicks from an armbar a little over a year ago from Mr. Kimmons. I couldn't even yell 'tap' in time!

Who's stoked for Rampage v. Griffin?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodore View Post
    Get it while its up! Not sure how long it will be until the UFC juggernaut takes it down.

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/Video...10000512&tid=0
    sweet, thanks! I didnt want to give Dana White any more money than I do already...

Nice ground game... He tried like 6 different submissions before he got the guillotine..

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Who's stoked for Rampage v. Griffin?
    Cant wait...

Stoked for the undercard too, Patrick Cote vs Ricardo Almeida. Patrick just left Boston (on monday) after brushing up on his muay thai for the last week at my gym.. Two really good BJJ guys, Almeida's actually from Brazil (fighting jiu-jitsu since the 90's), but Patrick can BANG too. Definite KO possibility. It should be a great fight either way, as should Griffin-Jackson..
    Last edited by Diamond Joe; 06-25-2008 at 01:05 PM.