Wireless expander/repeater?

So the next door neighbor to our ski house lets us pooch her wireless - the router is on the other side of her house and she doesn't care to move it - there is one area in our house where the signal comes in OK, not full-strength but usable - can I put a wireless expander/repeater in this spot? Or should I put it in her house closer to our side? What info do I need to install/configure it? Any input appreciated, I haven't messed with this sort of thing.

Well,first you need to know what her wifi router is (there is some issues on some when repeating),find out her settings (passwords,what channel etc,,) and then start to try to get things working.

I use apples Timecapsule wich range is extended via airport express.
    Setup was painless, it is just that the N and B/G networks usually have some problems when used together. So stick with either if that is possible config wise.

The setup is usually simple.
    It is just to set the host to accept WDSsing and range extension and then make the relay to "extend network" or "act as a end station".

But if you are using together different brands with different probgrams (D-Link+Buffalo) you usually get shafted..like..gitmo style..

Be warned..

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

I am told it's a Linksys Wireless 2.4 Ghz w/speedbooster.

If your neighbor doesn't mind arts and crafts projects on her router, you could try building a 'dish' around the antenna. It is very effective, I boosted my signal from low and dropping every 5-20 minutes to good/very good and never once dropped.

I used chicken wire, I used an 6 inch x 5 inch piece with ~1/2 inch square pattern. I made a reasonable sized parabola (focal point ~1 inch from the origin) parabola using a graphing program on a computer, and printed out 2 of them. Then I laid the print outs on cardboad, and I poked the chicken wire ends of the 6 inch sides into the cardboard along the parabola, so its parabolic shape looking down on it along the antenna. So its not an actual dish shape, but the same idea except for a dipole antenna. Then I poked holes at the focal point, and put the antenna through the holes.

Once you've put them on the antenna, turn them so they point at your house.

You could also use foil to build it, but I think chicken wire is a lot easier to construct it with.

Its worth a try since its free, and hassle free since when I had this problem I read that repeaters have lots of issues.

If this is a standard WiFi Linksys router that she has then you can get an 802.11G access point to boost the signal. It could be placed on your side (that way you are paying the electric and able to reset it etc. if needed for some reason. You of course need to know some basic info about her connection- password, security encryption used, etc. to get it set up.

There are other solutions out there including bigger and better antenna but that would have to go on her side. If you are on common electrical circuits then there are wall power units that turn your standard electrical circuit into a ethernet extender.

You can put a directional antenna on your extender. Mount a yagi or a panel antenna outside your house, run the wire inside and hook to the extender/AP.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

or just get a USB wireless adapter put it in a pringles can and make your own directional antennae, google cantennae
    It’s the places you ride that are special, not you riding there.”

All stunts performed without a net!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChief View Post
    or just get a USB wireless adapter put it in a pringles can and make your own directional antennae, google cantennae
    Nice! Can you use this if the wireless is built in? I have a Dell D410

Dave TV - yes, but you have to put the whole computer in the pringles can.

Some manufacturers make repeaters for their particular equipment (i.e. Linksys, ZyXEL, etc.) and this is probably the best route to go, especially if you have multiple computers that you want to connect to the wireless signal. You could buy her a pair of better antennas (linksys sells these, as does www.hyperlinktech.com) which will boost the signal significantly. The external repeater probably works best, however, for your particular application.

If you have any questions, pm me. I work with, among other things, RF network design and implementation and have had a chance to play around with multiple repeaters, mesh, amplifiers, and antennas.

Quote Originally Posted by Powow View Post
    If your neighbor doesn't mind arts and crafts projects on her router, you could try building a 'dish' around the antenna. It is very effective, I boosted my signal from low and dropping every 5-20 minutes to good/very good and never once dropped.

I used chicken wire, I used an 6 inch x 5 inch piece with ~1/2 inch square pattern. I made a reasonable sized parabola (focal point ~1 inch from the origin) parabola using a graphing program on a computer, and printed out 2 of them. Then I laid the print outs on cardboad, and I poked the chicken wire ends of the 6 inch sides into the cardboard along the parabola, so its parabolic shape looking down on it along the antenna. So its not an actual dish shape, but the same idea except for a dipole antenna. Then I poked holes at the focal point, and put the antenna through the holes.

Once you've put them on the antenna, turn them so they point at your house.

You could also use foil to build it, but I think chicken wire is a lot easier to construct it with.

Its worth a try since its free, and hassle free since when I had this problem I read that repeaters have lots of issues.

umm you are gonna have to post pics of this contraption as it sounds slightly absurd.

Range extenders rarely work and are generally a huge headache. if you decide to go that route make sure you get one the same brand and vintage as her router and search online for tweaks as out of the box doesn't usually give you much better service
    __________________________________________________ _
    "Son, when you participate in sporting events, its not whether you win or loose, its how drunk you get." - Homer Simpson