So I road my first 50 this weekend...

Pics are up, and the event was awesome.

I decided to test my endurance for the Tahoe 100 coming up in September, so I entered the local 50-miler MTB race with 8000+ feet of climbing. There were some wicked-fast riders there. Top finishing time was just a hair under 4 hours. My goal was to finish, and I did that. Broke the top ten in the singlespeed open class, didn't bonk (too hard), and finished under 5 and a half hours.

I went out fast, and didn't eat or drink enough for the first lap, but I was averaging just over 10.5 mph...not bad. Then I hit the first climb on the second lap and felt that good ol' fashioned feeling. I had to stop and eat and drink for a few minutes. It was hard watching all those riders go by, knowing that I would probably not catch back up. After a ten-minute rest, I headed up the rest of the first hill. Only 5 more major climbs to go.

Slowly getting power back from the engine refuel, I started to catch a few riders. I was really fearful of going too hard the last lap and not being able to finish due to a total bonk, so I was pretty conservative with energy and stopping to eat every 30 minutes or so. I was surprised at how much I had left for the last ten miles - amazing how the body reacts to having an energy source other than fat or muscle.

For a self-proclaimed hack, I was pretty stoked for my first event in over 3 years (since a solo venture at Captain Thurmond). The singletrack was a blast, and the fire roads were long and steep. Felt like I spent about 4 hours climbing, and just 1 hour descending...if that. At the end of the day, my altimeter read +8434'...the most I've ever done in 50 miles. Not quite the Cream Puff, but almost half of it...

Lessons learned:

Get a mountain feedbag for eatin' on the go
    Ride harder due to easy food/fuel access
    Drink more water (I drank only 4 liters)
    Electrolytes are good for performance
    Gel seems to actually work
    Stop for a PBR at the bottom of the last climb, because it's all about the ride when you're on the SS
    I want a 29'er...never thought that was gonna happen

Thanks to the mags who bumped the Tahoe 100 thread - I needed a swift kick in the ass to get my life back in gear. Hopefully, we'll see you there.

Picky's - courtesy of Mudslinger Events

A few miles in...

A few more miles in...

Flying the bird...who says you can't get one-finger braking w/o discs?

More singletrack bliss...

Done. Gimme something cool to go home with! (I'm cross-legged on viewer right)

Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by NlytendOne; 06-22-2008 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Stokage in the 3rd degree...

Quote Originally Posted by NlytendOne View Post
    I want a 29'er...never thought that was gonna happen

Noooooooooooooooooooo.......

Strong work on your race! Aside from the conditioning, you're obviously learning lots of valuable lessons as the Tahoe-Sierra 100 gets closer. Probably see ya there! You racing SS in Tahoe?
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Sounds like a solid race.

dayglo aerobic enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Noooooooooooooooooooo.......

Strong work on your race! Aside from the conditioning, you're obviously learning lots of valuable lessons as the Tahoe-Sierra 100 gets closer. Probably see ya there! You racing SS in Tahoe?
    Hehe - I just want a "big wheel" to remind me of my toddler days...I'll be keeping the 26, fur shure. Thanks for the support

Yeah, SS for Tahoe. I have a feeling that it is going to be a good time, 'specially with the lessons learned. I started training for the 50 two weeks ago...<insert laughter here> It would be cool to have a strong maggot showing at the hundie.

Sweet. Sounds like a fun race. I see a bunch of my old CCP buddies in the 2007 TOE results.
    bodies be all up on my behind

Quote Originally Posted by NlytendOne View Post
    It would be cool to have a strong maggot showing at the hundie.
    There will be. Or at least maggots and their associated partners in crime. There are 3 of us doing this for sure (Chaka, myself, and madturtle), and maybe a 4th (onehotchili?). Chaka and I are singlespeeding solo, madturtle on gears, and onehotchili if he can make is planing on SS as well.

Being local, I've managed to rope in a few other riding buddies to enter as well.

It'll be a blast. Or as much of a blast that 14,000 ft of climbing on a single speed can be
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Bump for pictures and to get more peeps out here next year.

How did I miss this?!! Stong work, Blake!

Stoked for ya for Tahoe!
    Montani Semper Liberi

Nice work!! You should do the Creampuff, though. And the Test of Metal. Oh, AND the Cheakamus Challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkyjoe View Post
    Nice work!! You should do the Creampuff, though. And the Test of Metal. Oh, AND the Cheakamus Challenge.
    Thanks blinky. The Squamish TOM was on the same weekend, and I'll be on the east coast during the Creampuff this year.

The Challenge is do-able this year. Two weekends after Tahoe. I love the riding around the Cheakamus - it's better than the boating.

Next year - maybe try to do all of them - the TOE will be moved back one weekend, so it's possible.

Maybe see you there?

Quote Originally Posted by MarsB View Post
    How did I miss this?!! Stong work, Blake!

Stoked for ya for Tahoe!
    Thanks B! See you in a few weeks?