Thread: TR: Epaulet, The Bear Track Couloir? 6/14/08 (never documented to my knowledge)

TR: Epaulet, The Bear Track Couloir? 6/14/08 (never documented to my knowledge)

Well I knew there is more to evans then what meets the eye, and this year I started to do a bit more research. After studying topos and trying to find any pictures and any other info on ski routes on near by peaks I had started to get a little clue of an undiscovered gem. Thing is finding information on the net on this peak is pretty bleak, finding pictures was hard enough let alone any proof of anything being skiied back there.

Epaulet is a over shadowed 13er which neighbors evans, access doesn't get much easier as far as summiting is concerned and as far as access to most of the potential lines I had in mind is concerned. I had spotted the line a few months ago and acknowledged the potential. Nice thing about where I work is that I drive all over genesse, evergreen and conifer on a fairly regular basis which gives me a chance to view evans from different unique vantage points (sometimes from a customers house). When I went up for bad finger I spotted a potential lined I had seen alot in recent months which was this diagional couloir which is easily seen in this picture:

We didn't ski it and now it's melted out badly, however this wasn't the gem I had initially discovered. I hadn't seen the line for months however last week I got a view from a mansion in the timbers (marshdale) of the line head on. I was currently trying to make plans for the weekend and was weighing more towards climbing untill I saw it. When I saw it was still in good condition I decided it was on as I wanted to get out atleast 1 last time this year, and I had an eager partner lined up.

Saturday morning rolls around and we are trying to be up there around 9:30-10 as I figured the line faced heavily east and maybe somewhat south. We got a bit hung up and ended up there around 10:30. We reach the rim of the basin and the top of our line around 11. At first view we weren't sure what to think as it looked extremely steep, but we were prepared for anything so we proceded up. A view from near where we first got a view of our line (some other random possability that I never knew about):

Apon inspection of the entrance we deemed it sane with out having to deal with rope work. I was feeling really good about it in particular as I have been on alot of extremely steep stuff this year..........

The goods:

Who likes to air into couloirs?

Then proceede to rip them wide open.

Nathan went next and also ripped it up:

Victory!

We cut the line about 700-1000ft short due to deteriorating snow conditions (nasty sun cupped hardness) as well as the option to shorten the climb back out.

The view from that point was awsome as I had never even seen this basin and most backpack to get in there. Pristine...

These are the bear track lakes, and that is why I feel it's fitting to call the couloir bear track couloir as it's the most direct main obvious line into the bear track lakes basin from evans. Packed up the winter gear and hiked back out.

On the way out we were offered quite a few treats such as spotting about 5 other skiable couloirs atleast 2 of which are quite spectacular and challenging in their own rite. (nice projects for next year when the snow is in good condition)

Also we got great views of large granite walls all around some with a bit of potential for FA's as far as I know. To get out we had to go up over epaulet which was a bit of vert and back to the entrance of the couloir to grab the stashed gear. We were all done around 6. We should have dropped in later for softer snow but it was still a blast!

Real Nice

you have the knack for finding these short, steep pitches

Nice job! Looks like a good day out! It's always fun to explore and find the goods where others haven't
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

That's sweet. It looks pretty steep in those first shots; I doubt I'd have the balls to air into it. Nice work.

This is a sick shot!

please tell me your buddy is wearing an avalung

(ps: very sick stuff... nicely played)
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

that is some first class spring rippage right there.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

That couloir doesn't look as steep when 'nathan' skis, but that first series of shots from kind of across from it are sickkk

Nice Line Jason !!

"I'd Rather Be On Top... Nah... I'd Rather Be Going Down"

Love this shot.

Nice job on getting a better perspective then just from above or below. Nice choice on line too, Ive been meaning to get back in there.

I am so jealous! I've been out with a fractured ankle since early May. Maybe you guys will find it your hearts to invite me out next season?

nice stuff

Sick Bird.
    Have fun or get hurt bad. "MFT" A.K.A. Dr. Doom

There are but three true sports--bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. "Ernest Hemingway"

Thanks for all of the positive responses everyone. Im glad you enjoyed my efforts. The camera angle for the shots of me was awsome for sure, remindes me of what it would be like shooting out of a heli. We stumbled across the vantage point because we came in a bit low (near the top of the couloir that hike4turns posted up) and had to hike back up the ridge, we stopped and looked at the line and I wandered around and found my way down on to a ledge above a 200-300+ foot overhanging face. Pure luck as it would be.

Hey hike, did you guys ski that other couloir? Were those pics shot early season? Also do you know any history on the area as far as sking goes?

Hey hestra, hit me up next season for sure.

NIce pics!

I skied that line a few years ago with some random dudes from the old powdermag board. Good stuff.

I've been wanting to ski the three together in one day: Evans, Epaulet, then Rosalie and ski out to my old neighborhood. But I don't live in Bailey anymore so it sounds less appealing now.

Great Stoke!!!

Forum, those were taken in December 06. I havent done any couloirs in that area. It seems to be a decent early or late season spot though, maybe Ill have to check it out again in the fall. Id also like to dip a fly line into those lakes too.

Cool line. Sometimes the obscure line is better than the well known, both because its rare, but also because the snow can be that pure untouched corn we dream about.

WOW. You aired into it? And ripped it wide open? If you didn't mention that, I might never have realized how cool you are.
    Wagner Custom Skis
    Powder snow skiing is not fun. It’s life, fully lived, life lived in a blaze of reality. What we experience in powder is the original human self, which lies deeply inside each of us, still undamaged in spite of what our present culture tries to do to us. Once experienced, this kind of living is recognized as the only way to live–fully aware of the earth and the sky and the gods and you, the mortal, playing among them. Dolores LaChapelle