Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bootie Beers

No, it compels people to NOT SWIM.

Also, it serves as public shaming, and who doesn't love that?

Ok but there's nothing in it for me besides I find if you just admit you swam and leave it at that people forget it pretty quick unless you are dead or something

its when you make excuses that folks pick it up like a dog with a bone and RUN with it!

Just to add something for XXX-er....I think the paddlers should adopt a twist that is used in Rugby....you NEVER get to drink from your own boot...the group as a collective chooses the boot that you must drink from...usually the largest most sweaty and stinky dudes boot.

so at what point do beginers get out of the bootie beer free zone and into accountability?

Doing a bootie beer is what got me from beginner to intermediate. After the first bootie beer enforcement, I thought long and hard about pulling. I actually reached for the grab loop a couple times and then went back to trying to roll. It was a year before I swam again, and that was a well earned swim.

Bootie beers start when you are a semi competent class III paddler with a solid roll.

well maybe Bootie beer enhances the taste of american macro brew or something but I really don't see it catching on up here

We never did the bootie beer thing when I was learning. Been a long time since I swam now.

But.....a bottle of whiskey if someone had to chase down your boat. Six pack for a paddle ( at least ). For rafting a guide swim was a case. They started out trying to make the newbies pay beers for guest swims, but we were all trying to put our people in the water so it didn't seem right to be penalized for succeeding.

While you will never get me to drink out of a bootie the images of the hot yakker girls swilling beer out of a bootie have me strangely .......well disturbed. And I kind of want to see it in person. At least once.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

I think beginners usually know when they are good enough that they shouldn't be swimming, thats when the bootie beers begin. And in AK everyone I've paddled with adheres to it though the peer pressure is never even comparable to the Montana. I swam out of BZ on the White Salmon once with some Missoula boys and we didn't have beer at the takeout. Did the same run the next day and someone brought a beer in their boat for me to do when we got to BZ. Scouted the drop, drank my bootie and styled the drop, had to fix the karma before trying again.

I've also paddled with crews that adhere to class I-IV =bootie beers Class V equals bootie liquor

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Bootie beers start when you are a semi competent class III paddler with a solid roll.
    That's lame.... every paddler should get a 1 season grace period and then it's bootie time.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm11 View Post
    That's lame.... every paddler should get a 1 season grace period and then it's bootie time.

Are you saying that even if they swim often after their first season they should drink often? or that if you get good enough in your first season you don't have to drink. I hope it's the former.

Grew up paddling in the southeast for a dozen years and never heard anything about this.
    It's a bit more like the penalty box in hockey: Do something bad....feel shitty about yourself for a few minutes.....then get back to business. Nice smooth rocks in the Appalachians too...lots of people paddling barefoot with a pair of Tevas clipped inside.

Lots of superstitions though....Don't load the boats backward, Don't taunt The Dog, Don't run the Monkey with a banana in your boat

definitely heard the boat loading backwards one. A friend of mine twists it and will only load his creeker forward and his playboat is always backward.

jm2e is the poudre still running? I might be headed that way in a week or so for work, worth bringing my boat?

poudre's running, but not at 4+ feet anymore. Plenty of whitewater in the narrows and farther up stream.

Pretty much need to be flexible on how boats are loaded now. That was old school when everything was shaped like a pencil or a pickle. Either way, it's imperative to take any superstition and stare it in the eye and call BULLSHIT! It's just you and your little inner conversation.

The only thing that should keep you from swimming is the determination to get beyond the freakout, the knowledge that you can hold your breath for much longer than you think you've been upside down, and the desire to become better than you were. Oh yea, and paddling stuff where you're much safer in your boat than out of it.

I had a buddy who went to Africa to guide on the Nile. 100,000+ CFS. He sends a postcard that says "I learned the trick about running these gigantic holes. Knowing that I can hold my breath for a minute"

Quote Originally Posted by Lost in AK View Post
    definitely heard the boat loading backwards one. A friend of mine twists it and will only load his creeker forward and his playboat is always backward.
    See that is what I'm talking about. I always loaded my boat backward. And I loved to back surf so it made sense.
    People would freak out when I'd throw it up there ( that didn't know me ).
    Seemed like most carried their boat upside down at the time too. They didn't seem to think that was bad. Or worse sideways, stuck in a permanent brace.

???
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

Every other boat goes backwards.

Superstition is dumb...except for bootie bears.

Bootie beers are fucking stoopid. I don't do them and I don't make people do them. The only purpose they serve is to inflate the ego of the douchebag that enforced the rule. Get over you're bad self, we're all between swims.

Maybe we'll meet someday in Montana. But you better hope we don't.

Quote Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
    Stupidest tradition ever. OK, maybe not ever. But stupid nonetheless.

'course I haven't been in a boat in who knows how long...
    +1.

Do you guys play the lets kick each other in the nuts game too?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Do you even boat?

Chase someone's boat down some class V sometime and then see if you don't think they need some public shaming.

Last edited by RootSkier; 07-15-2008 at 08:14 PM.

I don't boat any more. Used to, for a few years, but seemed to have fewer and fewer friends with the few bits of loaner gear I needed, and I ended up needing to sell my boat. I miss it though (the boating, not the boat).

Anyways, if I had to chase down someone's boat, I'd rather they buy me some beer or do me a favor than make them do something disgusting. Drinking beer from a booty benefits no one.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

How often are people swimming up there? Where I come from, it's either beginners who are swimming all over class 2&3, or it's people who have stepped it and decided to not get into something unless they're fairly confident they can hold their shit together. Swims should be few and far between. Otherwise you're getting in over your head relative to your ability to stay out of trouble and have a solid roll. If you're lacking in one of these, take it down a notch.
    Swiming in class V is serious and should be treated as such. Boating with others obligates you to save them and their shit because they'll do it for you. If you turn it into a game, you make it a game.
    The no swim zone is just like the no fall zone, and you wouldn't want so ski with a crowd that has regular yardsales in the no fall zone.
    That is all.

+1 for Bootie Beers. Why the Hell not?

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    How often are people swimming up there?

Swiming in class V is serious and should be treated as such.

The no swim zone is just like the no fall zone, and you wouldn't want so ski with a crowd that has regular yardsales in the no fall zone.
    Sanctimonious much? Yeah dude, swimming is bad. That's why we do our best to make a public display of how much it sucks to swim. A number of those booties I posted are from rafters on the Lochsa. Danger factor = very low.

Only two of swims above were sketchy, one sieve -> pin -> swim and one hit to the head on a huge side.

The others were hole beatings which sometimes just happens, especially when paddling with large groups at high water around here. The one of me is my only swim in the last 4 years.

Thanks for your concern and the wonderful lecture, though.

Heh, late to the party, but whatever.

My paddling career was born and raised on bootie beers, but go figure, I started in Bozeman.

It's a tradition pretty ingrained in the groups I paddle/paddled with. None of us saw it so much as a punishment, and no one needed to be forced to do it, you just did. It is more of a tradition and even more, comaraderie with your crew. Heck we even had a song to go along with it.

Also, if you believe in such a thing, it's a way to right your river karma.

I recall swimming on a creek in WA one afternoon, after taking off, we high-tailed it down to hood river, and never really stopped to do the bootie I owed. The next morning we put on and I ran a good portion of a pretty solid rapid upside down. No swim, but I was definately not on it. Promptly upon taking out, I drank the bootie I had pending, and the afternoon run was much better.

As far as being rewarded for a rescue, pulling my buddy and his gear to shore before going around the corner into the next drop is plenty reward.
    Our great works of human enterprise will fade away with time. The mountain will endure. ~nps