FS: '02 Subaru Legacy Wagon; 2.5L (SLC area)

Mags,

Gonna post this on craigslist too, but thought I would start here:

'02 Legacy Wagon, 2.5L, 4 cyl, automatic, 136K, AWD, ABS, power everything, tape/am/fm, minor cosmetic damage (inside and out, NO smokers), tires only have 1500 miles on 'em, new brakes and rotors (04/08), thule ski box, alta stickers.

A great car that I am not using enough to justify keeping, making a decision to use more public transport, money to travel, etc... I've got a lot of the paperwork from previous trips to the mechanic, but NO accidents or major repairs needed, clean record when I bought with 85,000 miles, mostly highway miles since my purchase.

Gets close to 26 miles to gallon on highway, better with thule off.

$5,000 OBO - up at Alta Lodge, can meet in town some days.

-andy
    "I'm on the High-T and all I need is a little gravity to bring me back...back to the fringe"

Pics

Bump for pics...anyone else interested? Pics show only blemishes on car. Interior is in great shape, a couple minor spots on the floors, no burn holes or seat stains, etc... Great deal here.

The subie...

Side view, notice the only patch of rust on the car. Also missing that small piece of wheel-well panel.

Closer view.

Tires only have 1500 miles on them, all weather Coopers.

A small animal tried to get out of the car with the last owner, this is the worst of it.

Example of small scratches from winter shoveling, etc...

Small scratches on windshield.
    "I'm on the High-T and all I need is a little gravity to bring me back...back to the fringe"

might know someone who is interested if this is still around later this summer

Last bump! Someone make an offer...please!

hate to say it but anybody who knows roos isnt gonna buy it if the head gaskets have not been replaced. 136K on a 2.5 is a blown hg waiting to happen...if its not leaking already. Did you ever have them replaced?

i am not sure if 02 is included. i think the problem was fixed this year.

it effected 97-01 i think..... deffenately should have been a recall too.

Gasket issue or no, $5k is a ripping deal for the car.
    We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need? ~ Lee Iacocca

'02 was the first year of the new engine, no head gasket issues with this model. So I've been told.

$5000 is a great deal on this car, its in great shape. Who's looking?

OBO

Quote Originally Posted by ECbum View Post
    '02 was the first year of the new engine, no head gasket issues with this model. So I've been told.

$5000 is a great deal on this car, its in great shape. Who's looking?

OBO

fwiw: 2000-2004 was the "Phase 2" engine. Head gasket issues are pretty uncommon among the phase2 engines, however - Subaru is doing a "good will" campaign to replace any gaskets on the P2 engines that are having issues. The P2 gaskets are a layered, metal riveted gasket , whereas the P1 engines were a graphite composite gasket.

(Supposedly, this can be done at ANY Suby dealer on any '00-'04 who still has UNDER 100k miles)
    We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need? ~ Lee Iacocca

yes phase two 2.5s are effected...not as bad as phase 1s. Speculation runs that phase 1s are failing at upwards of 50%...phase 2s in the 25-33% range. I'm just so damn glad GM got out of the gene pool and Toyota is gobbling up Subaru...quality will be on the comeback.

Phase 1s leak internally and phase 2s leak externally...hence the subaru stop leak addidtive...which btw has been fing up radiators...the 02 obw i had experience with was the worst pos car ever...back to 95 and all is bulletproof again.
    Last edited by powderpig77; 06-26-2008 at 04:04 PM.

What year did you graduate from Holderness? A friend of mine from way back in the day went there.

Quote Originally Posted by powderpig77 View Post
    yes phase two 2.5s are effected...not as bad as phase 1s. Speculation runs that phase 1s are failing at upwards of 50%...phase 2s in the 25-33% range. I'm just so damn glad GM got out of the gene pool and Toyota is gobbling up Subaru...quality will be on the comeback.

Phase 1s leak internally and phase 2s leak externally...hence the subaru stop leak addidtive...which btw has been fing up radiators...the 02 obw i had experience with was the worst pos car ever...back to 95 and all is bulletproof again.
    dude 75 percent of statistics are made up on the spot.

All subbies suffer from the head gasket issue...some worse than others...

If you want to be extra safe when buying a subbie go for the older 2.2l engines..they did not suffer the same head gasket issues.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggs View Post
    dude 75 percent of statistics are made up on the spot.
    Its not made up or anecdotal...a good friend is a service manager at a suby dealer in the midwest...they have two mechanics that work all day everyday replacing 2.5 hgs...these are the percentages they are seeing on a daily basis...just called him...they have (3) 00-02 obw in and (4) 96 obw in for hg repair...but hey its only a grip to have that work done.

before somebody yells tech talk jong...i'll refer you here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/...isplay.php?f=3

how much without the Alta stickers

SOLD, via craigslist - $5500

Thanks for the conversation, at least would be subie buyers are now more informed. Mechanic told them not to worry too much about this engine.

FWIW some of the 02's were involved in the little recall that involves putting radiator stop leak in the engine to prevent seepage which supposedly helps alleviate HG problems. Others were not. It depends on time of production. They modified the engine sometime during that model year. My 02 was never recalled.

Glad you sold the car. Pretty large patch of rust on it though? My 02 is still completely rust free.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 06-27-2008 at 06:11 PM.