Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Dudes,

I sooooooo have to pick up any sport where you should, for $60 worth of damage to your board, commit a felony and expose your self to years in prision.

COOOOL!!

I don't know.... $60 could buy a lot of cool shit
    "I'm only human Harry!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Jongalot View Post
    Dudes,

I sooooooo have to pick up any sport where you should, for $60 worth of damage to your board, commit a felony and expose your self to years in prision.

COOOOL!!
    SJ, you really are a clueless surf JONG.
    Maybe the midgets would give you some pointers.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

OK, so it's an old thread, but surely it's now common knowledge and more than just bog standard surf lore that you give way to the person coming into th beach - no matter how retarded - just get out of the way.

In GB the standard surf insurance package won't pay out for anything if you are heading out and get hit by someone coming in.
    Not around much these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorey View Post
    In GB the standard surf insurance package won't pay out for anything if you are heading out and get hit by someone coming in.
    Is there really such thing as surf insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    SJ, you really are a clueless surf JONG.
    Maybe the midgets would give you some pointers.
    I'd like some pointers from some angry, vengeful, violent, mentally disturbed, but oh so manly surfers.

When I was in Maui i tried to hit some spot on the rental boogie board, but some guys told me to split. Made me so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    So I am surfing at Swamis this morning, catch a nice wave, paddling back out, guy outside fucks up, gets pushed in on his belly no less, all the while struggling to come in my direction, when I am thinking "just go straight in you dork" and straight out hits the rail of my nice custom board with his beat piece of shit.
    Fin cut goes about 5 inches into my boards rail
    When he pops up, I show him the board and tell him I need a check for $60 to get it fixed. "Sorry bra, I don't have that kind of money. I didn't even see you, sorry dude".
    Was I out of line to tell the guy if I see him surfing there again without my $60 I am going to kick, or make ever attempt to, kick his ass.
    My friends saw the whole think and thought the guy was a dope not to offer to cover the expense.
    Now I have never hit another guys board. WTF is up with some people??
    End rant
    Give me a break. You surf Swamis you should expect collisions...not to mention you saw him coming from a ways away and you couldn't avoid him? Duck under him? nothing?

We could use a lot less of punks like you in the water sucking the vibe out of the sport. shit happens, deal with it. If people were to collect for every collision you would have to put a f'nd cash register on the beach.

Swamis is full of idiots, both good and bad surfers. sounds to me like there was one of each in that collision.
    you could use a serious attitude adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by 4to8andoffshore View Post
    Give me a break. You surf Swamis you should expect collisions...not to mention you saw him coming from a ways away and you couldn't avoid him? Duck under him? nothing?

We could use a lot less of punks like you in the water sucking the vibe out of the sport. shit happens, deal with it. If people were to collect for every collision you would have to put a f'nd cash register on the beach.

Swamis is full of idiots, both good and bad surfers. sounds to me like there was one of each in that collision.
    you could use a serious attitude adjustment.
    It has been awhile, but let me try and elaborate on the original circumstances of said collision since some of you experts think I fucked up.
    I was paddling back out after my wave. Dip shit is sitting on his board perpendicular to wave and proceeds to go over the falls (WTF). While in the whitewater, he struggles to his belly on the board and aims for me as I am furiously paddling into the direction of the broken wave, giving him the shoulder of the wave direction (that is what you do), however not even looking up, his struggles to maintain himself on his board runs him right into me. This all happens quickly, as we were maybe 15-20 feet apart when he went over the falls. I know how not to get hit and this guy made many errors in this instance.
    I hope this explanation helps.

As to those posts about why surfers getting pissed off and that doesn't happen in skiing I have this take.
    Especially in the summer, I am often waiting 5-15 minutes for a nice set wave to come in. When I paddled out, I saw a few guys, where I wanted to be, so I gave them the right of way until it was my turn. But a few minutes before the set comes, some fuck paddles out and parks it 10 feet in front of me and snakes me on the next set wave. Being polite is difficult under those circumstances. In surfing there is a lot of waiting and then 4 guys paddling for the same wave to get tempers going. That and other breaches of etiquette that do not happen while skiing, so really the two sports are very different from each other. While I love to surf, I can get pissed off at times by inconsiderate actions. That shit never happens skiing, so chill on the op if you have never surfed in his shoes.

BTW 4to8andoffshore, your a fucking dope if you think anyone that surfs Swamis on a regular basis expects to get hit. For the most part, there are a lot of really good surfers that go there and the few hacks that make an appearance are quickly reminded what isn't cool. For a wave with such great potential, I find the regular crowd pretty patient there, but the situation and the conversation with the idiot that hit me would have had you pissed too. so adjust your attitude and understand there are many sides to a story.
    Last edited by liv2ski; 09-22-2008 at 09:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I'm pretty relaxed in the water. I generally do not surf in very crowded conditions. I am considerate, but I get my waves as well. General rule of thumb for newbies is if you can't handle the wave - go some where else.

ZG - it is very different than what you describe. As surf collision is much more like said snowboard side slipping into while you are getting your tree line.

Surfing is very dynamic. Someone not being in control of their board is dangerous. If a fin put a 5 inch gash in a fiberglass and foam board, imagine what that would do to your face.

The surfer on the wave has the right of way, but also has the responsibility of being in control. I will yell at some kook on the hill that can't stop and flails into people. When some ass ran into my wife from behind down near the slow sign, hitting her low and causing her to flip - he got a verbal beating and I reported him to patrol. If it is was in the water, I would just send him to the beach at my home break. If I was visiting his home break, I'd call him an ass and probably leave. Getting hit just plain sucks.

Would I fight him? Not worth it in my opinion, but some meat heads only understand you if your fist is in their face. Just saying.

Surfing is an amazingly relaxing and frustrating sport. One thing I love about skiing is that you just go. You drive to the hill and ski. On a powder day you do try to get your lines, but if my favorite is already hit, I can still go five feet to the right.

With surfing, you can check twenty different spots and still not get in. When you are finally in you want every one to be considerate, take turns, play by the rules and stay in control. If you get hit and have to go in because of board damage or injury, you session is ruined. It really sucks when the waves are primo.

Liv2Ski - if you see the guy again out there w/o your money, I would probably just paddle all over him and verbally abuse him. He won't have fun. He should not be allowed back at Swamis. At my home break we kind of have a pack - if someone kooks out, they just are not welcome anymore unless they make amends. Not fights, they just don't get any waves. The community takes care of it, even if you are not there.

Ottime, I disagree. Sounds like an accident, regardless of the guy's skll level.

And I still say live2ski could have avoided him.

If you're paddling out and are 15-20 feet inside of someone, you're at risk of getting hit. That's close. A wave is going to go 20 feet in a second or 2. No way the dude had time to get on his belly, see what's going on and avoid anything.

And didn't he apologize and say he didn't see you?

I say let it go.

J-

^^^^ Sure, it was an accident. But regardless of skill level, if you hit someone, you need to take care of the damage. Just like with cars and the rest of real life. IMO, it is still the responsibility of the person catching the wave to be in control. If you have an accident it does not make you an ass. When you shrug, say sorry, and I have no dough.... then you are pushing.

Years ago I hit some local bro at the lane with my (30 lbs) long board. He wanted money for ding repair. I did not have any. I told him I would get it to him in two weeks when I got paid. Problem solved, and he gave me no grief. I am sure if I said, "sorry, bro, but I don't have that kind of cash" that would have been my last day surfing there.

OTOH, I have been in collisions perhaps 3 times in over twenty years of surfing. Everyone needs to stay awake to avoid it. And I almost never surf a break with a crowd factor like Swamis or the Lane on a good day. Eck.