Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stuff to do in/around Monterey?

Need recommendations for things to do in Monterey in early December. Golf, restaurants, activities, tours, galleries, etc- anything you can throw out there. What is there to do?

Kill and eat a sea otter.

I would focus on the golf, restaurants, activities, tours, and galleries, etc.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

If you mean Monterey California you'll have no lack of things to do. The most obvious is the Aquarium which is spectacular. And it sounds like you're a golfer so Pebble Beach and SpyGlass are very close and very, very expensive. A visit to Carmel followed by one to Carmel Valley (for some wine tasting). Any restaurant in Cannery Row although the restaurants in Carmel tend to be better. Cycle 17 mile drive. Go south along the coast (Big Sur). Go north to Santa Cruz. It's all pretty close.

Specifics (besides Pebble and other courses)? .... this should be a list of activities that would interest various company CMO's.

Ditto on the aquarium (it's pretty awesome and I always try to visit it when I'm down in that area), walk around in Point Lobos, and the Bernardus lodge in Carmel Valley is supposed to be an excellent restaurant although I've personally never eaten there. I also always make a pilgrimage to the Cheese shop in the Carmel plaza - great selection of imported cheeses and interesting wines.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Whats the budget?

Play golf (pick a course to fit the budget)
    Eat at overpriced restaraunts (how much do you want to overpay?)
    Buy overpriced craptacular art (how many wives are going to be shopping?)

Sea Kayak, Mt Bike & SCUBA are available for active living.

Think I've got enough crap to fill what I need. montereyinfo.org is a wonderful website.

Ditto on the Aquarium. Last time I was there, they had a juvenile great white shark in the outer bay aquarium to view. As for wines, check out Talbott in Carmel Valley http://www.talbottvineyards.com/ They have some very good wines, but a bit pricey. If the surf is pumping, go check out Ghost Trees and watch some tow in surfing. Have fun!
    Whoa, what you gotta say?? Whoa, girls turn 18 every day!!!
    --Vandals

Hugh Conway Guest

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Think I've got enough crap to fill what I need. montereyinfo.org is a wonderful website.
    Going to hangout in Sand City?

I hear that the Bixby Creek bridge on PCH south of Carmel is a cool sight to see

http://www.bayonetblackhorse.com/
    http://www.golf-monterey.com/sites/c...=292&page=6001
    (Laguna Seca)

As far as THAT goes ~ see if there's any racing while you're at Laguna. Usually *something* of interest going on over there.

Pebble is about $425 (and even if you start looking now, it's doubtful you'll get a Dec. t-time)

Spanish Bay & Spyglass are both about $275.

However ~ the 2 (3) courses I listed above are fantastic & fun layouts that aren't going to crush your wallet. Ask for Joe Zoccalli at Bayonet / BlackHorse & tell him Erik's crew was wondering if the "Old Farts" wanted a rematch.

Fisherman's Wharf is a "must see" while in Monterey. Touristy, but fun anyways. Aquarium is a must. 17 Mile Drive, absolutely. Big Sur, absolutely. (And be SURE to stop for drinks at Nepenthe's!!) Shopping in Carmel is always a safe bet, and if you're in Carmel, you must, must, MUST stop HERE: http://www.thecheeseshopinc.com

Just to say you DID it, go have a few drinks at the Lodge at Pebble Beach & watch people trying to par 18 - always good for a few chuckles.

Yes, Bixby Bridge is pretty awesome - there are turnouts on both NB & SB sides to get a good look at it.
    We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need? ~ Lee Iacocca

So much to do there. EPskis and I just got married in Pebble Beach back in November. Though we spent two weeks there, I still didn't have enough time to show EP everything there was to see.

Golfing is all over and where EP spent most of his time "preparing for the wedding". Of course the Pebble courses are great and pricey, but Laguna Seca is also a good course and not too expensive.

Aquarium is great, but a drive to Big Sur is a must. If you drive to Big Sur a drink at Nepenthes is required. If you would like to camp, Pfeiffer Park has great sites next to the river.

Best sushi in town is Robatas, located at the mouth of Carmel Valley in the Barnyard. I little further down the Valley is Baja Cantina with great margaritas.

Enjoy. Thinking about it all makes me home sick.
    "You got to express what is taboo in you and share your freak with the rest of us, cause it's a beautiful thing"

HEY!!! I thought you were "super busy" at work! Obviously not too busy if you are posting.

(I forgot about the cheese shop. How in the hell could I have missed mentioning the cheese shop??)
    "You got to express what is taboo in you and share your freak with the rest of us, cause it's a beautiful thing"

Quote Originally Posted by Gebster View Post
    I hear that the Bixby Creek bridge on PCH south of Carmel is a cool sight to see
    "PCH"? *gasp*

Don't say that to anyone from the Carmel area! That's so SOCAL.
    We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need? ~ Lee Iacocca

Quote Originally Posted by Alioops View Post
    HEY!!! I thought you were "super busy" at work! Obviously not too busy if you are posting.

Waiting on my little old lady to finish ~ I'm trying to get OUT of here!

+1 for the aquarium.
    Apparently it's one of the top aquariums in the universe.

And be sure to read Cannery Row before you go so you'll feel like a local.

Quote Originally Posted by EPSkis View Post
    Waiting on my little old lady to finish ~
    i really don't want to know 'the rest of the story'...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Monterey Mexico?
    "Verily, my folly has grown tall in the mountains." - Fredrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra

Specifics (besides Pebble and other courses)? .... this should be a list of activities that would interest various company CMO's.
    CMO's? Great cigars from this place on cannery. Make sure to light them with 100's on the links.

http://www.coolcatcigars.com/
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

In addition to the ideas above here are some group things you could do:

Go to the aquarium in the afternoon, and then have a dinner in the room in front of the massive shark tank:

You can rent that room, and others, for after-hour functions.

Rent a bus or two and go down the coast to check out some redwoods in the morning, stop by Nepenthes for a drink or lunch on the way back, then go up the Carmel Valley to a couple of wineries and then end up at Bernardus for dinner. That would be a fat day.

Rent a charter boat and go whale watching or fishing.

Take a driving course at Laguna Seca.

Rent a bunch of horses and go for a ride on the beach.

Lots of cool stuff to do in that area, it just depends on what the people you are entertaining are into.

I grew up there. Prepare to be cold and damp. It likely won't rain (but if it does, it'll pour), but it will very likely be foggy, gray, and drizzley.

Everybody already covered all the touristy things to do. I don't play golf or dive, but those are two of the biggest sporting attractions in the area. Lots of good restaurants.

There's decent mountain biking, and good road riding (if the weather is OK). If you like wandering around on beaches, there's plenty of that.

That's about it, really.

NCGA Poppy Hills course on 17 mile drive is very nice and tough. Around $100; cheaper for twilight

Aquarium. With out a doubt. And it is really an Outer Bay tank - tuna and sea turtles. etc.

The restaurant in the aquarium is really top notch - Chef Cory Ford kicks ass.

Outside, avoid Cannery row food unless you like tourist kitsch. try Stokes downtown. Some of the best food on the peninsula.

17 Mile Drive - meh. Pretty, but pricey IMO. The drive from Pacific Grove to Asilomar to Cannery Row is plenty fine.

Head south to Garapata State Beach if it is sunny. Across Route 1 on the inland side is a trailhead that brings you up a series of ridges.

Further South is Andrew Molera - hike out to the beach. And further south the hamlet of Big Sur.

Do you surf? Plenty around with SC just up the coast. PM if you need some notes on that.

Another for the aquarium, it is worth a visit, I can easily spend the whole day there. Read "Cannery Row" and "Sweet Thursday" before you go. If you look past the touristy crap you can see remnants of Steinbeck's novels. The 17 mile drive is nice on a bike at sunrise, otherwise you pay a lot to see how the filthy rich live. A drive down highway 1 to see some of Big Sur is cool. A trip to Carmel, if you have like the high end artsy stuff, can put a big dent in your wallet. Rent a kayak and paddle the Elk Horn Slough if you are into birds and such. If you are traveling with some big money people look into a driving class with Skip Barber Racing at Laguna Seca. It is a world class track, and it is worth it just to drive the cork screw (turns 8a and 8b). You will shit your pants the first time, but after a couple laps you get used to the fact that you just have to turn, and assume the track with be there after you drop. There are some nice bars in town itself, stay away from the "Row" for drinks and dinner, too crowded, overpriced, and touristy.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot