Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Martial Arts

Will there be an octagon set up at the Alpental and Jackson summits?

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    bet my kung fu would best you
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiberAwptik View Post
    Been a Blue belt for a bit over a year. Fairly competent at simulating murder on untrained opponents. I have a crushing over-under pass.
    I got my blue belt earlier this month in arnis jitsu and have learned to recognize moves as they are being pulled on me by the upper belts, but just starting to figure out how I got myself into that predicament in the first place. I've gotten better at recognizing when I'm being baited, but I still fall for it too much.

It is difficult for me to find people around my own size or sometimes skill level to roll with. The two most common people I've been rolling with are one that has probably 100lbs and almost a foot on me and has a lot more experience and the other has 6 inches, 25 lbs. and is half my age. From time to time I roll with a guy close to my size and somewhat more advanced than myself, but I think my agility and strength make us a fairly even match.

Do people still actually learn and practice kung fu in the US? When I was in San Francisco there was a shaolin temple I was curious about checking out, but I never actually made it over.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgnar View Post
    Do people still actually learn and practice kung fu in the US? When I was in San Francisco there was a shaolin temple I was curious about checking out, but I never actually made it over.
    There is a lot of kung fu in the US, all different kinds.
    it's all young and fun and skiing and then one day you login and it's relationship advice, gomer glacier tours and geezers.

-Hugh Conway

Just got home from training and in Wu Ying Tao, Modern Arnis and Arnis Jitsu. In Arnis Jitsu I was grappling with an upper level belt who has about a foot and at least a 100 lbs advantage on me. I actually did pretty good as I am faster and more agile until he muscled me over and then got into a high mount position. I could handle his weight on my chest, but then got a grip on my gi and proceeded to put me in a choke to which I had to tap out. Now that I'm a blue belt I'm fair game for higher level belts to use chokes. Just when I was getting comfortable with some good counter moves to common locks they kick it up a notch with chokes. Damn this stuff is fun.

Getting choked out sounds like a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Generally you don't realize it's happening. Most chokes applied properly will shut the blood off so fast that if you don't know what is happening you will just go out. And many times you don't realize it happened once you wake up.

Generally though most people that have trained for any length of time realize when they are caught, and tap.
    Training for Alpental

Yeah when he was able to get a good grip high on my gi and started pulling I knew exactly what he was going for and was ready to tap once I felt the collar tighten on my neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Just ask David Carradine.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Hah. That came to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I have studied at the Mecca of the martial arts, the Duke of Wellington pub in Dartford, Kent.

Styles I have learned:

Drunken master with charity box on a chain
    The 'Dartford Throwing Star' (heavyweight glass ashtray)
    Pool cue kendo
    Way of the Exploding Barstool
    The Overhand Becks Bottle Smash
    The Crane-style cue-ball in the sock to the ocular orbit
    The Grand Slam (cigarette vending machine through the window onto the bonnet of your assailant's Astra GTE)

This training has helped my skiing enormously as I can now utilise any available tool (ice axes, Letahermen, ski poles) to devastating effect.
    damn roo was funny

Lesser know but equally as effective Lee style. Shane E Lee. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J1nXlK0gb-I

I'm researching Defendu.

Martial Arts

^ you are gonna get your old ass beat! Wish I could see it you senile fuck!!'

I once saw a tee shirt that said:

Never pick a fight with an old man
    He know's he can't beat you
    So he'll kill you
    Quick

Defendu was developed by William E. Fairbairn in 1920's Singapore to fight gangsters trained martial arts after he got the shit kicked out of him. It was called Gutter Fighting when he taught it to the British Commandos. I like the concept for personal self defense. Deflect+Maim+Kill. "I'm not here to teach you to hurt your enemy, I'm here to teach you to kill your enemy."

A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

It's interesting as that's close to the opposite philosophy of aikido

After a decade of northern styles of king fu, tai chi, and some kick boxing and now a decade out... its time to start training again
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I got my black belt in Modern Arnis earlier today. During the test I had to full contact spar the other black belts with real sticks after some high intensity knife disarms. By the time it was over I was so tired I could barely stand. Next up is a black belt in Wu Ying Tao some time next year.

Guys? Has anyone tried getting gear from nogibjjgear? Im new and looking for rashguard and nogibjjgear has some really cool but i wanna know if anyone has tried and had a good experience with them? Or it would be great if you guys could suggest me a place that you have actually tried buying gear from?

Jesse Enkamp, aka The Karate Nerd. I stumbled across one of his videos recently, and have since watched a bunch. His thumbnail choices are a little sensational, (no doubt designed to generate clicks), but the dude is down to earth, sincerely curious, and he has a dry sense of humor.

He travels around the world and spends time with all kinds of different martial artists, talking technique and philosophy with them, sometimes training, sparring or occasionally actually fighting with them. His vids are pretty interesting and entertaining. For example...

I got a kick out of this one cause ... Bill Wallace! Guy's pushing 80, still full of piss and vinegar, and a lot of wisdom to share!

And I'm not a big Steven Seagal fan, but this encounter made for a fascinating watch...

https://www.youtube.com/@KARATEbyJesse/videos
    Last edited by fomofo; 01-31-2024 at 12:56 PM.
    The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.

He's got some interesting videos. I like the collaboration videos he did with another Youtuber, Sensei Seth. It's been years since I trained in karate (Shotokan) so watching his videos especially when he discusses katas bring back memories. These days I train more Filipino martial arts, a kung fu based martial art and some jujitsu.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    I'm researching Defendu.
    I remember that old man on the Mike Douglas show I think. Could've been another program but that was so long ago. Fast forward into my early teens and a guy we knew that was well trained had a life altering car accident. He could barely walk with a cane but changed his training to suit his situation. He showed us nerve pitches, pressure points and how to use someone's energry against them and it reminded me of Defendu. Never judge a book by its cover was the lesson I got from him.

As for training I used to box and from that I was privately trained by a master of many disciplines. Rather than try to get me to learn lots of new stuff he took what I did well and made it better. I still like to practice some of the moves but it's amazing how muscle memory kicks in. A few years back a friend of mine was fucking around and got too close. Without a second to think I had hit him on the chin and had to hold him from falling backwards. I felt awful but it was good to know that it stays with you even decades later.

My pop was trained to use a form of Defendu so thats why I wanted to research it. The brand he learned was Close Quarters Combat System. How to maim/kill for control. I researched pop and I don't think he ever had a reason to use it. I have been able to talk my way out of the few confrontations I've had. Except that bully on the ski bus in HS. He grabbed me as I got off the bus and I cold cocked him a few times in the face before he had time to say two words .
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.