and, do you think it helps your skiing?

Big Balls Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tele'ndaboat View Post

When there are lift lines yes.

Did them 1 year ago

Cho Li Fut Kung Fu

1 year

Liked the school, instructors, philosophy, students.

ABSOLUTELY. I moved from Socal to Sacramento and have not found a school that I like up here. The loss of flexibility, balance and stamina is very noticeable.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Done before:
    Shotokan Karate - from Age 12 to Age 18
    Boxing (classic) - 2 years in college

Aikido - 3 years in college, still doing it on an irregular basis (about once a week for an hour, including sword fighting)
    Khali/Eskrima - 1 year in college, still training on an irregular basis (stick fighting, weapons drills, free-hand, grappling)

Current intense focus on these arts:
    BJJ - 6months, still doing it, 5 x 2hours / week
    Muay Thai - 6 months, still doing it, 3 x 2 hours / week

Don't know if they help with skiing - maybe they improve my balance, and BJJ & Muay Thai definitely improve anaerobic strength endurance.

What Style?
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    Muay Thai
    Submission Grappling
    Kickboxing

How long?
    A little over a year

How'd you choose your style?
    I got 2 hernias from skiing the doc said I had weak abs, also as a runner I was having hip issues. So I looked around at all the sports that I could do and have fun at and found MMA.

do you think it helps your skiing?
    Yes big time.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

I did Taekwondo all the way through High School and into College, about 7 years in all, lost interest after I got my second degree black belt. Definitely helps with balance, flexibility and overall conditioning, not to mention some serious ninja skills! I highly recommend for the groms, good way to teach those little shits some discipline.
    Is it winter yet?

I have always been a proponent of the adam's apple jab coupled with a running car in near proximity.

"You think anyone wants a roundhouse kick to the face when I'm wearing these bad boys?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Did aikido, liked it.

I am a strong advocate of cougars and whisky. Great in all situations.

Failing that if stuck in a tight corner you can do some nifty things with a house brick or a lump of 4"x2" and/or a good pair of running legs

What Style?
    I did boxing for a little over 6 months I believe, 5 times a week. I chose it because it was more of a sport then just brutally beating someone, and gets me in better shape. also I knew someone who was happy there.

after the summer I am going to start doing Hapkido and tao kwon do. because I want to learn more about pressure points, grappling (I think thats the term) etc.

boxing might have helped my skiing because we jump roped 15 minutes at the beggining of everyclass. made my legs stronger etc.
    [/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by powderhound100 View Post

after the summer I am going to start doing Hapkido and tao kwon do. because I want to learn more about pressure points, grappling (I think thats the term) etc.
    Is that small joint manipulation like fingers and wrists?
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Aikido 1 year
    American Kempo Karate 1.5 years
    Seven Star Preying mantis 9mo
    Wing Chun 10 years

I wanted a style with teeth(ie non-sport oriented) that had the complexity and sophistication that seemed fitting to keeping someone alive when multiple people(who knew what they were doing) were trying to kill you and that might have included knives, blunt force weapons, etc. before the advent of firearms. If an art can't enable someone to do that, then it's a bunch of bullshit IMNSHO(Edit: I guess I should add that if you are just interested in the sport side of it and then there is tons of good stuff out there. Not trying to start a flame war. That was just my mindset at the time.).

But more than that I choose an instructor. After I ran into the limitations of Aikido and Kempo I opened up the phone book and began systematically visiting every school listed. If I heard the words "we don't get into that situation" or "that's not something you are likely to run into" I thanked them for their time and moved on. If the instructor hadn't fought with the art(really fought, not sparred or competed), I thanked them for their time and moved on. If I got the sense that the instructor was the slightest bit nervous with any of my very pointed questions, I moved on.

I finally found someone I was happy with and never looked back.

Helped skiing? Do wheels help your car go down the road?
    Last edited by Rubicon; 06-12-2008 at 07:01 PM.
    it's all young and fun and skiing and then one day you login and it's relationship advice, gomer glacier tours and geezers.

-Hugh Conway

Who does em'?

What Style?

How long?

Tae Kwon Do, Judo, Hapkido, first degree with all three.

On and off, mostly on, for seventeen years

It was what was offered in the town I grew up in

very much so
    backcountry makes my wee wee tingle...
    "What was once a mighty river. Now a ghost." Edward Abbey
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    It's not wyoming...it's Jackson.
    Different rules apply.
    My Adventures

"Feeling good is good enough."

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    Is that small joint manipulation like fingers and wrists?
    I have not started yet, I am going on vacation and will start in August. I can get back to you with more information after that. It is just more useful in a real life situation then boxing, not just punching, and blocking punches, but what to do if someone tries to punch you......like grab their arm and get them in some crazy position or some shit, not really sure yet. One of my good friends does it, his ummm trainer?? coach, teacher, not sure of the correct term, is a 9th degree black belt, so I am pretty confident, mostly because of what I am hearing from him.

Big Balls Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Aikido 1 year
    American Kempo Karate 1.5 years
    Seven Star Preying mantis 9mo
    Wing Chun 10 years

I wanted a style with teeth(ie non-sport oriented) that had the complexity and sophistication that seemed fitting to keeping someone alive when multiple people(who knew what they were doing) were trying to kill you
    Umm dude, you just listed all the hollywood great for movies styles without teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Balls View Post
    Umm dude, you just listed all the hollywood great for movies styles without teeth.
    Mantis and Wing Chun have teeth. Aikido does not and Kempo is still in it's infancy.
    it's all young and fun and skiing and then one day you login and it's relationship advice, gomer glacier tours and geezers.

-Hugh Conway

If you really train, I can't think of anything better. A series of bad back injuries cut my martial arts training down to almost zip. But I lived and trained daily with a couple masters (Ed Parker Kempo, Sil Lum, Five Animal Kung Fu, self taught Jeet Kune Do from the Tao book, minimal Judo and Shotokan - alway wanted to do Aikido) for a total of about 7-8 years constant. Kept it up for years afterwards on my own. I miss being in that kind of shape. For skiing, instinctual reactions without thought and the conditioning go a long fukking ways toward better skiing. Was working out with a Shaolin guy for a year or so recently and really loved the inside moves.

Grew up doing TKD....Did muay thai under mr. badass Matee Jedeepitak (http://www.warriorway.com/index.php?topic=instructors) for 4 years before I moved up here. Also got my blue belt in BJJ while in college...thinking about getting back into things with the gracie jits place in town here but just cant seem to find the time.

What Style?
    Wing Chun

How long?
    Forever. And never.

Pretty much anything Chinese would work for me.

Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by bptempleton View Post
    tit ass balls. that's a better sig. or fucktardnutz. YOU MUST NOW CHOOSE!!!!

So, so far we got :

Cho Li Fut Kung Fu
    Shotokan Karate
    Khali/Eskrima
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    Submission Grappling
    American Kempo Karate
    Seven Star Preying mantis
    Wing Chun
    Sil Lum
    Five Animal Kung Fu
    Jeet Kune Do from the Tao book
    Shotokan
    Awesome. It sounds like an excerpt from a Monty Python sketch.

Oh, I did a few years of judo as a kid. It did not help me to anything, but it was rather cool. I challenge you all to a fight. Roar.
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

I have studied at the Mecca of the martial arts, the Duke of Wellington pub in Dartford, Kent.

Styles I have learned:

Drunken master with charity box on a chain
    The 'Dartford Throwing Star' (heavyweight glass ashtray)
    Pool cue kendo
    Way of the Exploding Barstool
    The Overhand Becks Bottle Smash
    The Crane-style cue-ball in the sock to the ocular orbit
    The Grand Slam (cigarette vending machine through the window onto the bonnet of your assailant's Astra GTE)

This training has helped my skiing enormously as I can now utilise any available tool (ice axes, Letahermen, ski poles) to devastating effect.
    "Nothing is funnier than Hitler." - Smokey McPole

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    I took some Tae Kwon Do (three terms) and Shotokan karate (1 term) way back when I was freshman/sophomore in college, I wasn't skiing much those days, but I noticed it really helped my defense improve playing basketball, particularly shot blocking.

I still practice a bit from time to time, I think I understand it more now than I did then, though I've forgot most of the forms.

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I have studied at the Mecca of the martial arts, the Duke of Wellington pub in Dartford, Kent.

Styles I have learned:

Pool cue kendo
    The Grand Slam (cigarette vending machine through the window onto the bonnet of your assailant's Astra GTE)

This training has helped my skiing enormously as I can now utilise any available tool (ice axes, Letahermen, ski poles) to devastating effect.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Best TGR post in weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post

Styles I have learned:

Pool cue kendo

I think we may have once gone toe to toe over what the fuck you were looking at, wanker.

Astra GTE - you're a poet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Astra GTE - you're a poet.
    Astra GTE? I guessing Roo's period of Martial Arts study was closer to the Capri era: