Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Somehow I doubt that. I've never seen a post from you that would label you as an idiot.
    That's a good one!
    Congrats, mags! We collected 1030.68! for birdman!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    No is that like whne I come on your mosms face whle you lick my ballsss???

Quote Originally Posted by gonehuckin View Post
    So when you say that you train in the "ancient ways" because it teaches you to groin bite, I can just picture you in a situation where thats your only recourse. Maybe as a prison bitch?
    That's not what he said - that was in response to the supposed "No Rules" of MMA.

I have used my training in the real world on multiple occasions. And the most important thing is the ability to remove yourself from the situation.
    If you look at any video of Wing Chun you'll see that's exactly what they do.
    Eye Gouging, Biting, Fishhooks, ect. are certainly not off limits but you generally can't train it and you're better off learning modern ways to defend yourself.
    Once again, he didn't say that -- you inferred it.

Now to Rubicon: If it's superior to BJJ or Muay Thai why don't more people use it in MMA style competition... or do they and I just have no idea? (I don't really watch it - my "knowledge" comes from you guys posting about it.)

Youre so full of self-righteous shit its spilling out your ears......
    Buttfuckin = butthert yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    His instructors:
    If I'm not mistaken, Rubicon ain't a dude.

Rubicon is a dude.
    Last edited by gonehuckin; 06-17-2008 at 07:08 PM.
    Goals for the season: -Try and pick up a sponsor.--Phill

But whatever scares you most... --Rip'nStick

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    That's not what he said - that was in response to the supposed "No Rules" of MMA.

If you look at any video of Wing Chun you'll see that's exactly what they do. Once again, he didn't say that -- you inferred it.

Now to Rubicon: If it's superior to BJJ or Muay Thai why don't more people use it in MMA style competition... or do they and I just have no idea? (I don't really watch it - my "knowledge" comes from you guys posting about it.)
    No he definitely refered to those as ways in which he his training to defend himself and win a fight. He said he's training "no rules" and he refered to those as some examples of "no rules".
    The answer to why MMA fighters use BJJ/Grappling and Muay Thai is because they are as offensive and aggressive as they are defensive. Self defense arts train you to remove yourself from a situation. MMA awards offense and defeating the other person over defending yourself. Both have there place. That being said, its not completely black and white. Many of the martial arts are spawned from each other depending on context.

No he definitely refered to those as ways in which he his training to defend himself and win a fight. He said he's training "no rules" and he refered to those as some examples of "no rules".
    The answer to why MMA fighters use BJJ/Grappling and Muay Thai is because they are as offensive and aggressive as they are defensive. Self defense arts train you to remove yourself from a situation. MMA awards offense and defeating the other person over defending yourself. Both have there place. That being said, its not completely black and white. Many of the martial arts are spawned from each other depending on context.
    There were years of no-rules fights, and I don't recall anyone with exotic training winning anything.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying about self-defense being essentially different than (any type or combination of) MMA.
    "Active management in bear markets tends to outperform. Unfortunately, investors are not as elated with relative returns when they are negative. But it does support the argument that active management adds value." -- independent fund analyst Peter Loach

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Now to Rubicon: If it's superior to BJJ or Muay Thai
    Saying that one art is superior to another is kind of like saying that one ski is superior to another. The abilities of the fighter(skier) are far more of a determining factor in determining fighting ability than is the style he has chosen. So the question that should be asked is which art best fits you and your abilities.

That was the comment I was making in response to Cliff's question about the outcome if I meet my duplicate who had trained in Bjj, etc. I wasn't commenting about the objective value of the arts in comparison to each other. I was commenting on how well the art I had chosen fit my particular strengths and weaknesses.

why don't more people use it in MMA style competition... or do they and I just have no idea?
    In short, the nature of the arts prevent it.

Kung fu training is easy to mess up. I don't know how familiar you are with classic Chinese thought but there are many things in Chinese culture that appear simple, even simplistic, on the surface yet have layers of sophistication that are easily missed. The languages are one of those things. Europeans used to refer to them as "baby talk" because the grammatical structure seems almost child like. But there is a nuance to them that takes time to understand and appreciate.
    The game "Go" is another example. Seemingly simple, but a skilled player develops very sophisticated strategies to play it well.

Kung Fu is no exception. When taught properly, it takes time to understand and do well. Kung=work Fu=time. The idea is of a skill that is acquired over time and developed to a high level through practice. It takes a teacher who has already developed this skill to pass it on. He has to understand where the art is going and keep the student focused on what he needs to be to continue developing his skills. Rather than getting to a certain point and then relying on strength to make up for a lack of skill. It takes a lot of trust in the teacher because much of the training is counter intuitive until later.

When you see a skier who looks like liquid sliding down the mountain you are recognizing kung fu. It's not kung fu kuen(fist). It's not a fighting kung fu, but it is skiing kung fu. You are recognizing a high level of skill that has been developed over decades of skiing. No matter how talented someone is they could not move like that after just a few years of skiing. It takes time to develop kung fu.

The techniques in kung fu kuen are intended to develop this high level of fighting skill in the practitioner. They are a path way to a high skill level. But they don't work very well for someone who has just learned them. You cannot walk into a kung fu school, train for a couple of weeks or months, and be able to fight effectively with what you have learned.

MMA guys want this kind of mix and match ability. So they stick to the arts and techniques that can be learned and used quickly. Doing this with kung fu kuen would be like taking a left wing from an f-16 and the right wing from a c-130 and sticking them together because you want to combine the best qualities of each.

The techniques in each styles of kung fu kuen are designed to work together within the style in a very sophisticated way in the same way that all the parts on an airplane are designed to work together. You cannot mix and match pieces of different airplanes and get anything useful, and you cannot mix and match different styles of kung fu(or kung fu with anything else) and have anything useful.

So that's why mixed martial arts guys don't use kung fu, they cant mix it into their skill set.
    Last edited by Rubicon; 06-18-2008 at 11:39 AM.
    it's all young and fun and skiing and then one day you login and it's relationship advice, gomer glacier tours and geezers.

-Hugh Conway

Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

Rubicon is a dude.
    Last time I checked I was.

No he definitely refered to those as ways in which he his training to defend himself and win a fight.

He said he's training "no rules" and he refered to those as some examples of "no rules".
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    But if the advent of mixed martial arts has proven anything, its that brazilian jiu jitsu beats every other style, almost every time, in no rules fighting...
    No rules? Really? Can you bite(start ripping chunks of flesh out of a BJJ guys neck and see how long he stays wrapped up with you after that)? Can you gouge your opponents eyes? Can you fishhook? Can you strike/grab/bite the groin? Can you deliver multiple, rapid fire strikes to the face? Do you have to wear hand covering of any kind? Is there the possibility of one or both people having a knife stashed somewhere on their person? What is this "no rules" fighting you speak of?
    Where in here did I say anything about my own training?

If you can't understand what you read, me typing more words isn't going to help anything.
    it's all young and fun and skiing and then one day you login and it's relationship advice, gomer glacier tours and geezers.

-Hugh Conway

Aikido 1 year
    American Kempo Karate 1.5 years
    Seven Star Preying mantis 9mo
    Wing Chun 10 years

I wanted a style with teeth(ie non-sport oriented) that had the complexity and sophistication that seemed fitting to keeping someone alive when multiple people(who knew what they were doing) were trying to kill you and that might have included knives, blunt force weapons, etc. before the advent of firearms. If an art can't enable someone to do that, then it's a bunch of bullshit IMNSHO(Edit: I guess I should add that if you are just interested in the sport side of it and then there is tons of good stuff out there. Not trying to start a flame war. That was just my mindset at the time.).

But more than that I choose an instructor. After I ran into the limitations of Aikido and Kempo I opened up the phone book and began systematically visiting every school listed. If I heard the words "we don't get into that situation" or "that's not something you are likely to run into" I thanked them for their time and moved on. If the instructor hadn't fought with the art(really fought, not sparred or competed), I thanked them for their time and moved on. If I got the sense that the instructor was the slightest bit nervous with any of my very pointed questions, I moved on.
    Nope. When your life is on the line you make different decisions than when you are making decisions for money or show. The Chinese martial systems that were developed before the advent of firearms(and when they were still family, or closed society, systems) are fundamentally different than anything that has been developed since. I didn't want to waste my time on anything other than the real thing, or with a teacher who couldn't teach it properly.
    I wouldn't want to fight him. But all things being equal, he would lose.

No rules? Really? Can you bite(start ripping chunks of flesh out of a BJJ guys neck and see how long he stays wrapped up with you after that)? Can you gouge your opponents eyes? Can you fishhook? Can you strike/grab/bite the groin? Can you deliver multiple, rapid fire strikes to the face? Do you have to wear hand covering of any kind? Is there the possibility of one or both people having a knife stashed somewhere on their person? What is this "no rules" fighting you speak of?
    Edit: to add that going to the ground is a very, very bad idea unless you are 100% sure your opponent doesn't have a knife. Throw a blade into the mix and BJJ begins to lose some of it's shine very quickly. and while you are chewing on that one I would like to welcome you to the real world where the unknown influences your choices more than the known. Are you 100% sure that your opponent doesn't have a buddy who is going to stomp your skull into the ground? If not then you better not go to the ground. BJJ is a great tournament art but rolling around in a bunch of broken glass on the floor of a crowded bar(there is always broken glass on the floor when a fight breaks out) doesn't sound like the best way to win a fight.
    Respect and honor for yourself and your opponent are products of Bushidō. Japan is a very small place compared to the rest of the ancient world. The sensibilities you find there were not always found in the rest of the world. There was a time when a method of fighting was intended to keep you alive. When you are fighting for your life the guy who has more respect for his opponent is the one who ends up dead.

Do you think our troops in Iraq are worried about "respect and honor for themselves and their opponent" when they are engaged in a firefight? They are practicing a modern martial art. They are using the tactics appropriate to the state of the art. Before firearms, empty hand and edged weapons techniques/systems/training was the state of the art in military technology. Where do you think the term "martial" came from? Why do you think the legends and myths are full of stories about these arts being jealously guarded and kept secret?

I'm not talking about "proving" yourself. I'm talking about fighting. Sometimes the fight finds you and is unavoidable or preferable to the alternative. It's good to have choices.

I would be interested in how weak and cowardly you are feeling when you are about to die and your only chance to live is to bite the guy.

Biting is generally a bad idea due to blood-borne pathogens. My art doesn't incorporate it into the system. I threw that out there to illustrate that your "no rules" fighting in fact, did have rules.

Look, people train in many different kinds of systems for many different reasons. Newer arts look different from older arts because they came about in different environments. I went looking for an older art that was taught by a teacher with an older mindset. I found it. Instead of getting your panties in a wad because my view of martial arts differs from yours, try to understand that you might not know all there is to know about martial arts and what you understand martial arts to be today might differ from what they used to be. The world didn't spring into existence when you became aware of it.
    Saying that one art is superior to another is kind of like saying that one ski is superior to another. The abilities of the fighter(skier) are far more of a determining factor in determining fighting ability than is the style he has chosen. So the question that should be asked is which art best fits you and your abilities.

That was the comment I was making in response to Cliff's question about the outcome if I meet my duplicate who had trained in Bjj, etc. I wasn't commenting about the objective value of the arts in comparison to each other. I was commenting on how well the art I had chosen fit my particular strengths and weaknesses.

In short, the nature of the arts prevent it.

Kung fu is easy to mess up.

Kung Fu is no exception. When taught properly, it takes time to understand and do well. Kung=work Fu=time. The idea is of a skill that is acquired over time and developed to a high level through practice. It takes a teacher who has already developed this skill to pass it on. He has to understand where the art is going and keep the student focused on what he needs to be to continue developing his skills. Rather than getting to a certain point and then relying on strength to make up for a lack of skill. It takes a lot of trust in the teacher because much of the training is counter intuitive until later.

When you see a skier who looks like liquid sliding down the mountain you are recognizing kung fu. It's not kung fu kuen(fist). It's not a fighting kung fu, but it is skiing kung fu. You are recognizing a high level of skill that has been developed over decades of skiing. No matter how talented someone is they could not move like that after just a few years of skiing. It takes time to develop kung fu.

The techniques in kung fu kuen are intended to develop this high level of fighting skill in the practitioner. They are a path way to a high skill level. But they don't work very well for someone who has just learned them. You cannot walk into a kung fu school, train for a couple of weeks or months, and be able to fight effectively with what you have learned.

MMA guys want this kind of mix and match ability. So they stick to the arts and techniques that can be learned and used quickly. Doing this with kung fu kuen would be like taking a left wing from an f-16 and the right wing from a c-130 and sticking them together because you want to combine the best qualities of each.

The techniques in each styles of kung fu kuen are designed to work together within the style in a very sophisticated way in the same way that all the parts on an airplane are designed to work together. You cannot mix and match pieces of different airplanes and get anything useful, and you cannot mix and match different styles of kung fu(or kung fu with anything else) and have anything useful.

So that's why mixed martial arts guys don't use kung fu, they cant mix it into their skill set.

Where in here did I say anything about my own training?

If you can't understand what you read, me typing more words isn't going to help anything

I dont have to do anything but highlight your own words.

Also, Kung Fu isn't used on a regular basis because its simply not any where near the state of the art in either self defense or MMA style fighting. It has nothing to do with the speed in which it can be learned. It has nothing to do with its complexity. Some of the best athletes in the world compete in MMA The best of them have decades of competitive fighting training. And it has nothing to do with rules, the best in Kung Fu aren't stepping up and winning within the rules after perfecting their art, so why would you think they would win in any other situation? As you said, you don't train to eye gouge, bite, fish hook ect, so why would you think you can actually use them? So what do people who actually find themselves in "no rules" fights use? Its not Kung Fu.

To use your ski analogy, its like trying to ski steeps with today's pros while using century old edgeless skis with leather boots.

Just to add, I encourage you to continue to train any martial art you want. Its good for you and yes it can teach skills that could one day protect you. But don't come off as holier than thou. I wouldn't have even joined this discussion if you hadn't been clearly and incorrectly talking down about other fighting styles.

Also, Kung Fu isn't used on a regular basis because its simply not any where near the state of the art in either self defense or MMA style fighting.
    Pretty much all of the 'state of the art' fighting styles trace their roots back to kung fu.

That and if I'm not mistaken, MMA does not allow eye, throat or groin strikes anymore, thus eliminating the soft targets which are crucial in kung fu to take opponents down. Also, Kung Fu incorporates many weapon styles which are also not allowed. Kung Fu is not meant for MMA competition, but is still a highly effective fighting system in more real world situations.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Gonehucking,
    my understanding is that a master in many of these styles would in no way get close to any sort of competition, let alone UFC.

I feel like that makes UFC not necessarily proving the best fighters or styles, just the best that want to show off. Which in the styles I have practiced is very strongly discouraged...

My personal thought is that life long masters of any style would probably put many of the fighters we see to shame, even as 80 year old men. This could be my overly romantic and philosophical(I was a philosophy major many years ago in college and that is what prompted my interest in studying) way of looking at things, and I don't believe many of these people still exist, but have close experience with a few individuals that lead me to believe this is a possibility. Though, frankly, there is no way to prove or disprove this.

Rubicon,
    I disagree that styles can't be meshed. My understanding is that Bruce Lee is truelly a good example of that(if I'm wrong in believing he was respected as a true fighter or martial artist, let me know).

due to my limited knowledge you guys are completely allowed to tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about so STFU...

Tele

Quote Originally Posted by Tele'ndaboat View Post
    Gonehucking,
    my understanding is that a master in many of these styles would in no way get close to any sort of competition, let alone UFC.

I feel like that makes UFC not necessarily proving the best fighters or styles, just the best that want to show off. Which in the styles I have practiced is very strongly discouraged...

My personal thought is that life long masters of any style would probably put many of the fighters we see to shame, even as 80 year old men. This could be my overly romantic and philosophical(I was a philosophy major many years ago in college and that is what prompted my interest in studying) way of looking at things, and I don't believe many of these people still exist, but have close experience with a few individuals that lead me to believe this is a possibility. Though, frankly, there is no way to prove or disprove this.

Rubicon,
    I disagree that styles can't be meshed. My understanding is that Bruce Lee is truelly a good example of that(if I'm wrong in believing he was respected as a true fighter or martial artist, let me know).

due to my limited knowledge you guys are completely allowed to tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about so STFU...

Tele

Please elaborate.

Gonehucking,

Rubicon,

Tele
    Bruce Lee was a fantastic athlete and showman. He'd last about 30 seconds fighting anyone decent in his weight class. His one-inch punch, for example, is just a sleight-of-hand parlour trick, not an awesome display of his fighting ability. Running up walls and such is good if you need something to do before a guy with Muay Thai, boxing, and BJJ skills flattens you. But it looks cool...in movies.

An 80-year-old kung-fu master would beat George St. Pierre? He would get his ass handed to him by any decent female fighter. You've left romance and gone straight to fantasy.

The UFC doesn't show off fighting styles. It doesn't care about fighting styles. It cares about money. The fighters want to win and they'll study anything that helps them. They don't ignore kung-fu just because of the soft target/weapon element. I believe it is ignored because there are vastly superior styles and combinations of styles.

EDIT: Bruce Lee was 135lbs, 10 pounds lighter than the UFC Lightweight division.
    Last edited by Cliff Huckable; 06-18-2008 at 12:54 PM.
    "Active management in bear markets tends to outperform. Unfortunately, investors are not as elated with relative returns when they are negative. But it does support the argument that active management adds value." -- independent fund analyst Peter Loach

I have nothing to be defensive over as I have no dog in this fight.

I absolutely have training. And a lot of it.

I wouldn't have even joined this discussion if you hadn't been clearly and incorrectly talking down about other fighting styles.
    Feeling defensive much lately?

If you are confident in and happy with your training then there is no reason to get so bent out of shape over someone having an opinion that differs from yours. If your view of your training is dependent on your experiences rather than the hype surrounding it then what does it matter what I think?

Also, Kung Fu isn't used on a regular basis because its simply not any where near the state of the art in either self defense or MMA style fighting. It has nothing to do with the speed in which it can be learned. It has nothing to do with its complexity.
    Since you have spent a great deal of your time studying non-Chinese arts, I'm not sure you are qualified to make a statement like this.

so why would you think they would win in any other situation?
    My experiences allow me the luxury of not having to relying on others experiences to form my opinions.

So what do people who actually find themselves in "no rules" fights use? Its not Kung Fu.
    I'm not sure you are qualified to make this statement.

To use your ski analogy, its like trying to ski steeps with today's pros while using century old edgeless skis with leather boots.
    As someone who has spent a great deal of time studying one style of kung fu(did you know there are, or were, over 300 different styles of kung fu?) I can tell you with a high degree of confidence that you are mistaken.

There is obviously a gaping hole in your martial arts knowledge. But I don't expect to change your opinion about this. Your cup is full and you are convinced that you have a comprehensive knowledge of all martial arts that exist today. So I'll not try to dissuade you of that notion.

Just to clarify, check the time stamp on the edit. I clarified this part of my post before you posted the quote. Kung fu is not easy to mess up. Kung fu training is.
    Kung fu training is easy to mess up.

If we ever meet in person and you are at all curious, ask me about this and I will be happy to compare notes with you. Then I'll buy you a beer afterwards. No hard feelings, there are just a few things you have never been exposed to.

-Hugh Conway

And since you dismiss any style but the one that you train in, you miss out on the advancements in fighting 'technology" for a lack of a better term.

If we ever meet in person and you are at all curious, ask me about this and I will be happy to compare notes with you. Then I'll buy you a beer afterwards. No hard feelings, there are just a few things you have never been exposed to.
    I certainly like beer and I'm sure there are lot of kinds that I haven't been exposed to. So yes, having drinks would be great.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Bruce-Lee-...UFC&id=1195396

an interesting take on bruce lee and the UFC(by chuck norris! ha, that's funny)

Yah, I believe there are people that exist that would humble even the best UFC fighter in seconds, some of them may be 80... But I tend to believe experience will often win out over youth and strength. The fact is the fight would never happen, so it's a useless speculation.

Shit, I need to get back to work...

You know, despite the fact that I have some decent training and experience in what I consider to be the best martial art, I have a competely different fighting style for bar fights and the like. To wit;

When confronted by an attacker, I begin screaming "I'm a hemophiliac!!!" and crying like a little girl. When he turns away in disgust, its time to kick some back!

http://ezinearticles.com/?Bruce-Lee-...UFC&id=1195396

an interesting take on bruce lee and the UFC(by chuck norris! ha, that's funny)

Yah, I believe there are people that exist that would humble even the best UFC fighter in seconds, some of them may be 80... But I tend to believe experience will often win out over youth and strength. The fact is the fight would never happen, so it's a useless speculation.

Shit, I need to get back to work...
    Lee was an accomplished Mixed Martial Artist.

and this speaks volumes because of who says it:

"...one minute he (Lee) could look like any kicking system and at middle range, he could explode like a savage street-fighter or a western boxer. And when he got in tight, it looked like Wing Chun. And then when he'd go to the ground, it looked like jujutsu. He was a good grappler also. Despite his lightweight, he was very quick. I think he probably received training from various (...) people and (...) from Gene LeBell (...) and he probably learned a lot of jujutsu from maybe Wally Jay."

- Dan Inosanto

Are you being sarcastic cause Inosanto was bruce's student or do you actually respect inosanto?

I respect him. Highly. In fact, he is doing a special seminar at the studio I go to next week. He does a seminar for us a couple times a year. Hopefully I can make it again. One of my instructors is a student of his.

Rubicon,
    Bruch Lee was good for his time...in America. But he was impatient egotistical and belligerent. He had extra ordinary physical ability and grew impatient with the training in Hong Kong. His teacher was Yip Man who taught Lueng Ting who taught Steve Cottrell who taught me.

BL had only the beginning of the system. His understanding of it was incomplete and he didn't stick with it long enough to begin to understand it or develop kung fu with it. Which is why he felt there were deficiencies with it and begin adopting techniques from other arts to make up for the "weaknesses" of what he had been taught.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Huckable View Post
    His one-inch punch, for example, is just a sleight-of-hand parlour trick,
    No, it wasn't. It was an example of small circle chan si ging. He used it as a parlor trick because that is all he know it to be. Chan si ging is how kung fu develops energy(force). Kung fu uses a spiraling movement starting in the legs, moving through the hips into the torso and out through the shoulders into the arms and finally through the hands into the opponent(there are all different sizes to these spirals. Each one has a specific characteristic to it and specific applications.) The movement is started with the larger, stronger muscles in the legs and and then accelerated in the hips and core. Each muscle group taking the energy and adding to it in a polymetric fashion and sending it on down the line to the next muscle group in the chain, gaining speed as it goes, until it is delivered to the target. When done correctly this whole movement is very fast and looks more like a shudder than anything else.

Different styles of kung fu are distinguished from each other by the type of chan si ging they generate and the techniques of each system are designed to move the body in a way that allows the development, and delivery, of the specific type of chan si ging unique to that particular style.

This is a skill that takes a while to develop and it takes the right collection of techniques to allow the pathways of motion to develop in order to move correctly to develop this kind of energy. This is why techniques in kung fu can't be mixed and matched.

Without chan si ging behind them, kung fu techniques aren't very effective. With chan si ging behind them kung fu techniques become something else entirely.

BL only had the most rudimentary understanding of this and how to do it. As I mentioned earlier, kung fu takes time, patience, and trust in your teacher to develop properly. BL had none of these.

-Hugh Conway

GH,
    Cool, well then, with him it looks like your getting direct Bruce Lee lineage...

And since you dismiss any style but the one that you train in, you miss out on the advancements in fighting 'technology" for a lack of a better term.
    HA! I didn't "dismiss" them. I was answering the question of why I choose the one I did.

I don't have any problem with cross training but I take the approach of learning and "mastering" one system at a time. Which means 7-8 years on one system before moving on to the next one.

-Hugh Conway