Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts

Quote Originally Posted by philippeR View Post
    I believe Roo has clearly demonstrated what styles were the best suited for bars.
    And most situations if your back is up against the wall
    Gone fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Aikido 1 year
    American Kempo Karate 1.5 years
    Seven Star Preying mantis 9mo
    Wing Chun 10 years

I wanted a style with teeth(ie non-sport oriented) that had the complexity and sophistication that seemed fitting to keeping someone alive when multiple people(who knew what they were doing) were trying to kill you and that might have included knives, blunt force weapons, etc. before the advent of firearms. If an art can't enable someone to do that, then it's a bunch of bullshit IMNSHO(Edit: I guess I should add that if you are just interested in the sport side of it and then there is tons of good stuff out there. Not trying to start a flame war. That was just my mindset at the time.).

But more than that I choose an instructor. After I ran into the limitations of Aikido and Kempo I opened up the phone book and began systematically visiting every school listed. If I heard the words "we don't get into that situation" or "that's not something you are likely to run into" I thanked them for their time and moved on. If the instructor hadn't fought with the art(really fought, not sparred or competed), I thanked them for their time and moved on. If I got the sense that the instructor was the slightest bit nervous with any of my very pointed questions, I moved on.

I finally found someone I was happy with and never looked back.

Helped skiing? Do wheels help your car go down the road?
    What are you doing that is putting your life on the line? A great lifesaver would be to just, you know, stop doing it.
    And don't you think that if you were in a fight with your exact double who had training in Muay Thai, BJJ, boxing, he'd kick your ass?
    "Active management in bear markets tends to outperform. Unfortunately, investors are not as elated with relative returns when they are negative. But it does support the argument that active management adds value." -- independent fund analyst Peter Loach

Here's a thread started by Cliff over three years ago:

THREE + YEARS AGO!!

A good lifesaver would be to just, you know, stop posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Huckable View Post
    What are you doing that is putting your life on the line?
    I'm not. But the generations of people who built/refined my art were. Same is true of any art that was developed before the advent of firearms.

And don't you think that if you were in a fight with your exact double who had training in Muay Thai, BJJ, boxing, he'd kick your ass?

No.

I wouldn't want to fight him. But all things being equal, he would lose.
    it's all young and fun and skiing and then one day you login and it's relationship advice, gomer glacier tours and geezers.

-Hugh Conway

I want to meet a female master of Pu Tang and get pussywhipped.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    I want to meet a female master of Pu Tang and get pussywhipped.
    Something like this(NSFW)?
    it's all young and fun and skiing and then one day you login and it's relationship advice, gomer glacier tours and geezers.

-Hugh Conway

My fighting style is by far superior to all those mentioned here. I call in cowardfu. I perfom a swift 180 degree turn, run like the wind and don't look back! If they have already grabbed me I simply kiss them on the mouth. This often causes the over testosterone filled douche to freak out or question his sexuality giving me ampel time to escape.
    "When the mountains speak, wise men listen" -John Muir

Yeah, wonder if Stunt Cok had a bit part in that.

Bwaaaa!

...all things being equal, he would lose.
    wow, do you really believe that?? Honestly, all things being equal, if you fought your mirror image (exact same mental and physical toughness) who was a BJJ fighter of the same level, you'd lose probably 9 times out of 10.

And I just (semi) disrespected BJJ in my previous post, because I think that standing up and banging is more fun to watch (and do) than more technical BJJ/grappling. But if the advent of mixed martial arts has proven anything, its that brazilian jiu jitsu beats every other style, almost every time, in no rules fighting... Which is why you cant even enter any kind of open fighting ring without some knowledge and experience of it.

Remember UFC #1? 1993. waaay before the term "mixed martial arts" was coined. 8 fighters, different styles, no weight classes, no judges. tap or get knocked out. Royce Gracie walked through 3 much bigger fighters, including Ken Shamrock, to easily win the title. (He beat Shamrock in under a minute, and in the finals choked out a bad-ass french kickboxer in just over a minute) He then defended his crown in UFC 2 - again against much bigger fighters, and again overwhelmingly - and several more UFCs after that, before everybody smartened up and realized that they needed to train in this martial art to be competetive in the sport.

I'd rather train (and watch) muay thai out of personal preference, but I have no illusions about which one wins head-to-head.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    wow, do you really believe that?? Honestly, all things being equal, if you fought your mirror image (exact same mental and physical toughness) who was a BJJ fighter of the same level, you'd lose probably 9 times out of 10.
    Do you know my art? Do you know the school where I trained? Do you know my instructor? Do you know me?
    Your ignorance is only eclipsed by your arrogance.

But if the advent of mixed martial arts has proven anything, its that brazilian jiu jitsu beats every other style, almost every time, in no rules fighting...
    No rules? Really? Can you bite(start ripping chunks of flesh out of a BJJ guys neck and see how long he stays wrapped up with you after that)? Can you gouge your opponents eyes? Can you fishhook? Can you strike/grab/bite the groin? Can you deliver multiple, rapid fire strikes to the face? Do you have to wear hand covering of any kind? Is there the possibility of one or both people having a knife stashed somewhere on their person? What is this "no rules" fighting you speak of?

Edit: to add that going to the ground is a very, very bad idea unless you are 100% sure your opponent doesn't have a knife. Throw a blade into the mix and BJJ begins to lose some of it's shine very quickly. and while you are chewing on that one I would like to welcome you to the real world where the unknown influences your choices more than the known. Are you 100% sure that your opponent doesn't have a buddy who is going to stomp your skull into the ground? If not then you better not go to the ground. BJJ is a great tournament art but rolling around in a bunch of broken glass on the floor of a crowded bar(there is always broken glass on the floor when a fight breaks out) doesn't sound like the best way to win a fight.

Which is why you cant even enter any kind of open fighting ring without some knowledge and experience of it.
    You are talking about a competition, not a fight. There is a defined boundary. There is a defined starting time and ending time. There is a defined number of participants. There are rules. You have obviously bought into the marketing hype and are confusing martial sports with martial arts.

Edit: Edit: Damn, I'm in a pissy mood tonight.
    Last edited by Rubicon; 06-17-2008 at 02:04 AM.

-Hugh Conway

No rules? Really? Can you bite(start ripping chunks of flesh out of a BJJ guys neck and see how long he stays wrapped up with you after that)? Can you gouge your opponents eyes? Can you fishhook? Can you strike/grab/bite the groin? Can you deliver multiple, rapid fire strikes to the face? Do you have to wear hand covering of any kind? Is there the possibility of one or both people having a knife stashed somewhere on their person? What is this "no rules" fighting you speak of?
    I feel like you probably played alot of street fighter as a kid. You're not by chance a ki master are you?

What Style?
    Aikido

How long?
    5 years

How'd you choose your style?
    Seemed like a good way to avoid hurting yourself falling - the dojo had a hardwood floor and AJ is all about falls and breakfalls

and, do you think it helps your skiing?
    Hell yes. It's kept me from hurting myself a couple times, with it you learn to be someone that absolutely cannot be knocked over, and you can take a fall well.

I stopped a few years ago, as it wasn't quite mean enough for me and was too focused on "ki" and other things. I'm looking into Krav Maga and Systema, but the latter is hard to find a teacher. Both of these systems use firearms in the training.
    Last edited by coreshot-tourettes; 06-17-2008 at 08:34 AM.

And you train this how? I'm sure your training partners love it when you start eye gouging them and biting chunks of flesh out of their necks.......

The best self defense classes teach you very little of this. They teach you how to defend and escape. Even Krav Maga, which is designed and used for exactly the purposes you stated (and its actually modern) doesn't train fishhooking.

But you keep on practicing biting groins.
    Goals for the season: -Try and pick up a sponsor.--Phill

But whatever scares you most... --Rip'nStick

No rules? Really? Can you bite(start ripping chunks of flesh out of a BJJ guys neck and see how long he stays wrapped up with you after that)? Can you gouge your opponents eyes? Can you fishhook? Can you strike/grab/bite the groin?
    Wow pal. Sorry. I thought we were talking about Martial Arts, you know, where there is RESPECT and HONOR for yourself and your opponent. I didnt realize we were talking about flesh-biting eye-gouging death fighting... What is this, Mortal Combat? Ancient Rome?!?

You are talking about a competition, not a fight. There is a defined boundary. There is a defined starting time and ending time. There is a defined number of participants. There are rules. You have obviously bought into the marketing hype and are confusing martial sports with martial arts
    Obviously I'm talking about competition! Only an idiot - and definitely NOT a true martial artist - tries to prove himself in a bar. Martial artists test themselves in competition where, yes, there are (some) RULES.

YOU are confusing Martial Arts with life-or-death SELF DEFENSE. Re-check the title of this thread.

Edit: to add that biting is fucking WEEEEAK. and cowardly. But to each his own. (As the previous poster said; You keep practicing your "groin biting" skills...)
    Last edited by Diamond Joe; 06-17-2008 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Wow pal. Sorry. I thought we were talking about Martial Arts, you know, where there is RESPECT and HONOR for yourself and your opponent.
    Respect and honor for yourself and your opponent are products of Bushidō. Japan is a very small place compared to the rest of the ancient world. The sensibilities you find there were not always found in the rest of the world. There was a time when a method of fighting was intended to keep you alive. When you are fighting for your life the guy who has more respect for his opponent is the one who ends up dead.

Do you think our troops in Iraq are worried about "respect and honor for themselves and their opponent" when they are engaged in a firefight? They are practicing a modern martial art. They are using the tactics appropriate to the state of the art. Before firearms, empty hand and edged weapons techniques/systems/training was the state of the art in military technology. Where do you think the term "martial" came from? Why do you think the legends and myths are full of stories about these arts being jealously guarded and kept secret?

Obviously I'm talking about competition! Only an idiot - and definitely NOT a true martial artist - tries to prove himself in a bar.
    I'm not talking about "proving" yourself. I'm talking about fighting. Sometimes the fight finds you and is unavoidable or preferable to the alternative. It's good to have choices.

You have a lot of fluffy ideas about what a martial artist is and is not. We will just have to agree to disagree on this point. There was a time when a martial art was not considered a self-improvement program or a recreational activity.

YOU are confusing Martial Arts with life-or-death SELF DEFENSE. Re-check the title of this thread.
    You have a lot of fluffy ideas about what a martial artist is and is not. We will just have to agree to disagree on this point.

Edit: to add that biting is fucking WEEEEAK. and cowardly. But to each his own.
    I would be interested in how weak and cowardly you are feeling when you are about to die and your only chance to live is to bite the guy.

(As the previous poster said; You keep practicing your "groin biting" skills...)
    Biting is generally a bad idea due to blood-borne pathogens. My art doesn't incorporate it into the system. I threw that out there to illustrate that your "no rules" fighting in fact, did have rules.

Look, people train in many different kinds of systems for many different reasons. Newer arts look different from older arts because they came about in different environments. I went looking for an older art that was taught by a teacher with an older mindset. I found it. Instead of getting your panties in a wad because my view of martial arts differs from yours, try to understand that you might not know all there is to know about martial arts and what you understand martial arts to be today might differ from what they used to be. The world didn't spring into existence when you became aware of it.

-Hugh Conway

^^^so go ahead and tell us what art this is^^^^

Youre so full of self-righteous shit its spilling out your ears......

Quote Originally Posted by gonehuckin View Post

Feeling defensive much lately?

Go back and read the thread.
    Last edited by Rubicon; 06-17-2008 at 02:21 PM.

-Hugh Conway

Feeling defensive much lately?

Go back and read the thread.
    I have nothing to be defensive over as I have no dog in this fight. But its obvious that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру

Aikido 1 year
    American Kempo Karate 1.5 years
    Seven Star Preying mantis 9mo
    Wang Chung 10 years
    His instructors:

Isshinryu about a year

Dragon Sen-I for about a year. (Grappling, falls, breakfalls, throws, etc)

Both are taught in the same class. Isshinryu on Thursday and Seni on Mondays.

Mondays are more intense however both nights focus on tradition and sport fighting as well as street fighting.

I picked it because I have know the master for a long time and decided to try it. Took Tae Kwon Do as a kid and was not really impressed with it.

I have nothing to be defensive over as I have no dog in this fight.
    Somehow I doubt that. I've never seen a post from you that would label you as an idiot. So that means that you likely have some MA training, otherwise you wouldn't be commenting on my posts. Most MA schools have to market themselves on image and most martial artist's I have known rely on that image to validate their training since they have never used it successfully in an uncontrolled environment.

If my views on martial arts conflicts with your view of your own training then you do have a dog in this hunt.

So, do you have any training?

But its obvious that you have no idea what you're talking about.
    Is that^^^all you've got? Surely you can do better than that?

-Hugh Conway

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    His instructors:

-Hugh Conway

Rubicon makes a good argument.

The purpose of the martial arts is to defeat your enemy.
    Quote Originally Posted by bptempleton View Post
    tit ass balls. that's a better sig. or fucktardnutz. YOU MUST NOW CHOOSE!!!!

wow,
    this thread is a lot more entertaining than I thought it would be...

Somehow I doubt that. I've never seen a post from you that would label you as an idiot. So that means that you likely have some MA training, otherwise you wouldn't be commenting on my posts. Most MA schools have to market themselves on image and most martial artist's I have known rely on that image to validate their training since they have never used it successfully in an uncontrolled environment.

If my views on martial arts conflicts with your view of your own training then you do have a dog in this hunt.

So, do you have any training?

Is that^^^all you've got? Surely you can do better than that?
    I absolutely have training. And a lot of it. Many styles from Savate to College Wrestling to BJJ. And recently MMA for only a short period of time. However, currently I don't do it for Self Defense or for the Sport. I haven't competed in five or so years. I do it because I like working out in an interesting and challenging atmosphere. But I do have a long history of learning about self defense for that purpose as well. Most of that training came from my father who was a long-time correctional officer. He spent a good portion of his career teaching Krav Maga and Kali based defense methods to new recruits. There is a very specific reason that they train using these forms. Its because they work. They are paid to win, regardless of the situation. So when you say that you train in the "ancient ways" because it teaches you to groin bite, I can just picture you in a situation where thats your only recourse. Maybe as a prison bitch?

I have used my training in the real world on multiple occasions. And the most important thing is the ability to remove yourself from the situation. Eye Gouging, Biting, Fishhooks, ect. are certainly not off limits but you generally can't train it and you're better off learning modern ways to defend yourself. So yeah I'm laughing at you. And no, I'm not going to heal hook a guy on a bar floor.