Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts

Quote Originally Posted by powderhound100 View Post
    What Style?
    I did boxing for a little over 6 months I believe, 5 times a week. I chose it because it was more of a sport then just brutally beating someone, and gets me in better shape. also I knew someone who was happy there.

after the summer I am going to start doing Hapkido and tao kwon do. because I want to learn more about pressure points, grappling (I think thats the term) etc.

boxing might have helped my skiing because we jump roped 15 minutes at the beggining of everyclass. made my legs stronger etc.
    What does the "More of a sport than..." comment mean?

Hapkido and tao kwon do to learn about grappling and pressure points? Why would you want to learn about "pressure points"? What good would that do?
    And if you want to learn about grappling you're taking a very odd route. Odd and ineffective.
    Last edited by Cliff Huckable; 06-13-2008 at 10:48 AM.
    "Active management in bear markets tends to outperform. Unfortunately, investors are not as elated with relative returns when they are negative. But it does support the argument that active management adds value." -- independent fund analyst Peter Loach

What Style? American Ju Jitsu - crawfordsmma.com

How long? 2 years in August

How'd you choose your style? Liked watching MMA and wanted to learn. Found the gym, poked my head in, everyone was cool, so I joined.

and, do you think it helps your skiing? Some. It's good to be in shape!
    Kansas - First Of The Rectangle States

Big Balls Guest
    I've study Colt .45, Baretta 9mm, and 38 Special. I find these arts to be the most effective.

Building a fighting force of extra-ordinary magnitude
    What do you guys think of Krav Maga? I have been interested in taking classes in it but there is nowhere around where I live that teaches it. Worth making a drive into boston for on the weekends?
    thats new hampshire as fuck

We ain't eager to be legal, so please leave me with the keys to your Jeep Eagle.

I take Muay Thai at Sityodtong Boston. 5 years experience. Mark Dellagrotte is my trainer, and was the boxing coach on the Ultimate Fighter last season. Kenny Florian trains Muay Thai with us, as does Marcus (the Irish Hand grenade) Davis and Jorge Rivera. (Although I've never seen either of those two guys at the gym, I think they train privately...)

Muay Thai is the coolest and most devastating martial art there is, IMHO, and you learn to dish massive punishment, as well as take it. I took BJJ for a year, but "rolling" around with other dudes struck me as a bit gay - and nowhere near as much fun - so I cut back to just thai boxing. Just want to bang.

I like MMA, but the fights where they go toe-to-toe are waaaay better (again, IMO) than the ones where they wrestle around on the ground the whole time. (Think Forrest Griffin-Stephen Bonnar TUF season 1 finale - both fighters got absolutelly pummeled by each other, one of the best fights I've ever seen...)

Thai boxing keeps me in shape during the summer and fall, I dont do it at all during ski season.

Your snake style is no match for my monkey style!

Most effective matial art eva!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sQQcrM7A8Q

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Quote Originally Posted by powderhound100 View Post

after the summer I am going to start doing Hapkido and tao kwon do. because I want to learn more about pressure points, grappling (I think thats the term) etc.

If your talking about TAE Kwon Do, it is more of a system of strikes and blocks than pressure points and grappling. Tae Kwon Do means literally Fist Foot Method, or so my first instructor (9th degree blackbelt) told us in broken English.

It is rather similar to Shotokan Karate, and actually the creator of Tae Kwon Do was a blackbelt in Shotokan. TKD puts much more of an emphasis on kicks though, and the stances tend to be more upright.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    I take Muay Thai at Sityodtong Boston.
    Our Academy here in NH works with Wai Kru on Brighton Ave in Allston. We also have a Kru Mark. We alternate going to Allston and the trainers coming up here.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Shaolin kung fu, 1 year
    Judo 3 years.

Definately helped my skiing and climbing. The balance that martial arts trains you for is amazing.

I also want to learn about Muay Thai and BJJ. I think my life long soccer skills and odd flexibility powers could come in handy.
    We Make Memory When We Do Bussiness

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    This training has helped my skiing enormously as I can now utilise any available tool (ice axes, Letahermen, ski poles) to devastating effect.
    LPH is still cowering in fear from his near death experience.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Balls View Post
    I've study Colt .45, Baretta 9mm, and 38 Special. I find these arts to be the most effective.

You're really insecure aren't you?
    it's all young and fun and skiing and then one day you login and it's relationship advice, gomer glacier tours and geezers.

-Hugh Conway

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    I take Muay Thai at Sityodtong Boston. 5 years experience. Mark Dellagrotte is my trainer, and was the boxing coach on the Ultimate Fighter last season. Kenny Florian trains Muay Thai with us, as does Marcus (the Irish Hand grenade) Davis and Jorge Rivera. (Although I've never seen either of those two guys at the gym, I think they train privately...)

Muay Thai is the coolest and most devastating martial art there is, IMHO, and you learn to dish massive punishment, as well as take it. I took BJJ for a year, but "rolling" around with other dudes struck me as a bit gay - and nowhere near as much fun - so I cut back to just thai boxing. Just want to bang.

I like MMA, but the fights where they go toe-to-toe are waaaay better (again, IMO) than the ones where they wrestle around on the ground the whole time. (Think Forrest Griffin-Stephen Bonnar TUF season 1 finale - both fighters got absolutelly pummeled by each other, one of the best fights I've ever seen...)

Thai boxing keeps me in shape during the summer and fall, I dont do it at all during ski season.
    For a guy with some experience I'm surprised that you don't like when it goes to the ground. I certainly respect your opinion, 'cause you know what you're talking about. It's the idiots at the matches who boo when things go to the ground that rile me.

I guess you'd really hate Newton versus Sakuraba.
    "Active management in bear markets tends to outperform. Unfortunately, investors are not as elated with relative returns when they are negative. But it does support the argument that active management adds value." -- independent fund analyst Peter Loach

Crazy beats Karate everytime.

I just signed up for Modern Arnis. I went to a demonstration class and i thought it was awesome. The teacher is a little Filipino guy who is impossibly intense and relaxed at the same time.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

sounds a bit like taking a dump.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    sounds a bit like taking a dump.
    if I could take a dump while sleep eating I'd be in heaven
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Big Balls Guest
    All these "arts" are shit. There are only 4 you need to be concerned with. Muy Thai, Jui-Jitsu, Boxing, and Wrestling. In that order of importance.

verbal judo

Big Balls Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    verbal judo
    I suggest you ask for your money back.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    I wanted a style with teeth(ie non-sport oriented) that had the complexity and sophistication that seemed fitting to keeping someone alive when multiple people(who knew what they were doing) were trying to kill you and that might have included knives, blunt force weapons, etc. before the advent of firearms...
    Wow, who the hell are you, Special Agent Jack Bauer?

Me - Japanese styles (specifically Shito-ryu and Butokukan), studied/practiced roughly five years (quit long ago), strictly for sport/tournaments - not for self defense. Help my skiing? Back then, definitely yes. Now, not so much

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    Wow, who the hell are you, Special Agent Jack Bauer?
    Nope. When your life is on the line you make different decisions than when you are making decisions for money or show. The Chinese martial systems that were developed before the advent of firearms(and when they were still family, or closed society, systems) are fundamentally different than anything that has been developed since. I didn't want to waste my time on anything other than the real thing, or with a teacher who couldn't teach it properly.
    it's all young and fun and skiing and then one day you login and it's relationship advice, gomer glacier tours and geezers.

-Hugh Conway

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Nope. When your life is on the line you make different decisions than when you are making decisions for money or show. The Chinese martial systems that were developed before the advent of firearms(and when they were still family, or closed society, systems) are fundamentally different than anything that has been developed since. I didn't want to waste my time on anything other than the real thing, or with a teacher who couldn't teach it properly.

There's also a lot of bars in this world where that kind of training comes in handy.

I believe Roo has clearly demonstrated what styles were the best suited for bars.
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso