Backcountry Hammocks

I want a hammock for chillin when camping, not necessarily to sleep in, and has to be cheap.

Like these: http://search.backcountry.com/exec/?...mmocks&x=0&y=0

Looking at this one specifically:

http://www.backcountry.com/store/HMK...e-Hammock.html

Does anyone have brand recomendations, or a general review of these type of hammocks?

Thanks guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer View Post
    No internet? How good of a skier could he be?

Hope you have a young back. Mine can't take a whole night in a hammock. If you are an active sleeper they kinda suck.

With that said, I had a great one from costa rica that I bought for like 5 bucks and it was great for naps and chillin. There's no need to spend over 50 bucks on one. Go as basic as possible.

ive backpacked with a normal net one and noticed I still need to use a pad when sleeping most nights because you can loose heat through the bottom easily.
    Last edited by nickwm21; 06-09-2008 at 12:15 AM.

I use a hennesey hammock. They are very unique in design as they are asymmetric. You sleep at an "angle" and it allows for a ton of room and its super comfortable.....pretty light and you dont ever have to worry about a flat camping spot as long as there is a couple trees. Spans about 20ft and i never wake up with a sore back anymore. Many thru hikers on the AT are starting to catch on too.

http://hennessyhammock.com/

Don't get the Travel Hammock Ultralight...

I got one the other week for a camping trip and it tore on the 3rd day and dropped me onto a pile of rocks. It says it's got a 250 or so weight limit... I'm 155 and apparently too much of a fattass.
    "Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

My Flickr Photostream

HAM HOCKS AND RED BEANS

1 lb. sm. ham hocks
    1 bay leaf
    1 red pepper pod
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 lb. dried red beans
    1 onion
    1 garlic clove minced
    2 qts. cold water

Wash and soak beans 2-3 hours or overnight if preferred. When ready to cook drain off water and put beans in large pot with 2 quarts of cold water.
    Let water heat thoroughly, then add ham hocks, herbs, onions. Cook slowly, but steadily, at least 2 hours or until tender. When done, place in a dish and lay ham hocks over top. Serve with rice potato salad and corn bread.

I have been using a cheap mesh hammock from Campmor (Campers Compact Hammock) for several years. It weighs about 18 ounces. I usually just wrap it up lengthwise around the poles and strap it to the outside of my pack. Pair it with an insulated pad, lightweight sleeping bag, and a sil nylon tarp and you have a full sleeping system for about 6lbs. Just be sure to use an insulated sleeping pad since the bag gets compressed under you and loses all it's R value. I've even added a rectangular mosquito net (4oz) for trips where I expect it to get buggy. I really like the extra space that the tarp / hammock combo affords me over doing a solo tent or sharing a tent with someone. Not to mention a hammock is really nice after a long day of hiking with a heavy pack.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I have this one.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/HMK...G-Hammock.html

I've had it for 5 or 6 years. It works really well. I've never spent the night in it however. But for long naps on a Sunday afternoon its been great.