Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded Loc View Post
    Lets not get sidetracked, Squaw is great so be it, but it isn't shit compared to Jackson which isn't shit compared to Whistler which isn't shit compared to Cham (yeah I said Cham) and so we have once again arrived at the eternal internet truth and that is if you aren't skiing Cham you aren't shit. Tone I am up on Baldy every afternoon for the glass off session 2-4. Lets ski some runs talk some shit maybe drink some beers at Apples on friday 4-? I wear all gray with gray helmet and Yellow Smiths with yellow band and red white and blue K2s most days. Yell at me and we will have a good time.
    Ahhh man. I was going to post up my thoughts on Sun Valley but after reading this ^^^ I know that being just some dude in Arizona no one would listen anyways......
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I really don't have anything to add here other than on my 1 trip to SV/Ketchum, I saw Rob Lowe in the lodge for apres ski rocking a fart bag.

Quote Originally Posted by steeznutz View Post
    I really don't have anything to add here other than on my 1 trip to SV/Ketchum, I saw Rob Lowe in the lodge for apres ski rocking a fart bag.
    Was that DirecTV Rob Lowe or Cable Rob Lowe?

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Was that DirecTV Rob Lowe or Cable Rob Lowe?
    Ha, The Grinder!

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    No, but good god if you let 'em run on some of these groomers, you are doing ludicrous speed in no time with tons of gapers to dodge! Definetly will get the heart pumpin if you are into that sort of thing...To try and ride your edges down warm springs or some of the other steeper groomers you'd be going 70 easily. .
    No argument there. I guess I came off like a jerk, I did not mean to be. Sun Valley will always have a place in my heart. It was the first place I skied out west, and it changed my view of skiing, I had never been anywhere with terrain like that.

I probably won't go back for a few reasons. If I am going to travel somewhere I want better steeps and more snow. Also, most of my budget is taken up by my Mammoth weekends. My ski lease costs 385 a month, my pass is something like 700, and 12-15 Mammoth drives a year comes to more than 1,000 in gas. My ski travel budget is pretty much taken up by all that, so I can't really budget much in the way of visiting other resorts. I would like to, but my skiing situation requires a ski lease which costs quite a bit.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded Loc View Post
    Lets not get sidetracked, Squaw is great so be it, but it isn't shit compared to Jackson which isn't shit compared to Whistler which isn't shit compared to Cham (yeah I said Cham) and so we have once again arrived at the eternal internet truth and that is if you aren't skiing Cham you aren't shit. Tone I am up on Baldy every afternoon for the glass off session 2-4. Lets ski some runs talk some shit maybe drink some beers at Apples on friday 4-? I wear all gray with gray helmet and Yellow Smiths with yellow band and red white and blue K2s most days. Yell at me and we will have a good time.
    For the record I'm a weekender now not a local so I suck wherever I ski, but even not being a local anymore I still prefer a place with a bit more steep terrain. I'm lucky to ski Mammoth as much as I do. I would not choose Sun Valley for a ski bum year if I had the option of Jackson, Tahoe or Utah. If it was extremely cheap that would be one thing but it seems to be the opposite. I really feel for the locals there, it seems like they are being priced out. At least in Tahoe you have Tahoe City and Truckee. They are not cheap, but I would think it would be more manageable than Sun Valley. Is there something I don't know? Where do the locals live? Is there anywhere close to the mountain that is even remotely affordable? I would hate to have a long commute to the mountain. In Tahoe City I was less than 10 minutes from Squaw, which was really nice.

Steeps and powder seem to be pretty important to most on here, so I think saying Sun Valley is a better mountain than anywhere in the Sierra is a stretch. If someone feels differently that is fine, I guess I was just curious what his criteria for a great mountain were.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Word, Jaded Loc, I will be up at the hill again tomorrow, with the old folks but could meet up for some laps, just give me an idea on when and where. Would be down to check out the burn if anyone thinks that might still be decent... Thinking Johnstone Peak for Friday if anyone is interested, or whatever if someone has a better idea and would like to show me around! Went to check out the access to that nice long open south face out warm springs road a bit, but learned that it is closed for wintering elk.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Tone here's a photo to help you ID Loc. Make an effort to meet up with him. Check your PM and send me a text. I can meet you for a few laps middday today, and hopefully again for the end of day session.

Sol has informed me of an earlier hook up which I am hoping to make but if not I will be at the top at 2:15 coming up the warm springs side.

1 mile from N. America's biggest chairlift
    Yeah Tone we are all about Safety and apres around here so lets link up. I will be heading up towards the top around 2pm today, probably gonna link up with Sol Skier and Jaded Loc, those dudes are the real deal. We have lots of fun here. Apples is showing a couple of movies today starting at 4pm The Performers (1972) and Spider and the Frenchman (1969) See you up there
    Rocket Sleds and Super Space Boots

Oh man! Wish I could head over to glitter gulch today to ski fast, carvy groomers with you guys. (nothing wrong with groomers at all, they are fun to go really fast on like at Bogus last night)

Those movies at Apples would be great to see there. Just ordered up "The Dog Days of Winter" for viewing. Looking forward to seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    So I skied the hill today, it was, uh, fast! Was looking out at all kinds of stuff to ski both near and far...Looks like there might be some fun corn lines to be had in the next few days and also there must be some nice settled powder hangin around in the right places as well.
    Ha, I was there 2/23 also, small world. x2 on the nice powder hidden away, I was impressed. The slackcountry south facing lines also looked tempting, but didn't have time to check those out.

Got the full on maggot treatment today by all these felllas, couldn't ask to end up in better company or get a better tour. Amazing how you fuckers come out of the woodwork. Great times, lookin forward to making the most of the rest of it, for now!
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Yeah Tone that was a fucking awesome day. Just a day in the life, skied corn in the morning blue ice and 70+ groomers in between and then some sunset powder followed by an extended apres with legends. Sol tells me you were successful in your peak bagging today which also brings me great joy, way to get after it. I will be up tomorrow usually eating lunch at the top around 1:00 (tacos, fuck yeah) so stop by or I will keep an eye out for you. Glad you found your condo.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Oh man! Wish I could head over to glitter gulch today to ski fast, carvy groomers with you guys. (nothing wrong with groomers at all, they are fun to go really fast on like at Bogus last night)

Those movies at Apples would be great to see there. Just ordered up "The Dog Days of Winter" for viewing. Looking forward to seeing it.
    I'm dying to see Dog Days, where can one find it on the interwebs? Would you put up a bit of review maybe on this post or somewhere? I'd love to hear about it, thanks.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Yeah dude thanks again for the ride! And yeah can't beat a day like that, getting to tag along with you guys, seeing how different skiers adapt to a different mountain... and then apres with legends! Everyone is so chill here, in all reality it's about the least pretentious "resort community" I've ever witnessed. Even the legends introduce themselves and have time to shoot the shit. It makes me really happy, makes me want to dig deeper, certainly coming back every year. To all the haters, this place is populated by a seriously committed ski community. People in it for the long haul, not the 5 year plan. A bunch of skier's skiers. Hard motherfuckers that just get better and have more fun with age. It's also cool to see everyone finding their own versions of "balance" and dealing with the dreaded "transition" haha. I could use a lesson or two in those departments...

But yeah it's a special place here no doubt, I could be happy living here in a second. A hill that will make a real skier out of pretty much anyone, loc's that are a far cry from jaded, and incredible backcountry access that would take Greg Hill many lifetimes to get a handle on. Just sad I only have two more days... Will be back up at the hill again tomorrow, see you guys up there!

Nothing better than sharing the best parts of your local zone with another dedicated ski freak like Tone.

Cold nights and warm sunny days so we went out to check on the corn:

Tone

Loc

Chikndinner

JoeValdez

Stoked to hear about your successful day on Galena peak yesterday Tone.

Man, I'm worked! Another great day takin in the hill. Thanks for meeting up and hangin again guys, I miss Apples already. I will try and get there tomorrow for apres. I think a nice long slog and a big payoff might do me good tomorrow though, stoked!

Man just sitting here printing t shirts all night so I can ski all day tomorrow. Good luck out in the Wild West tomorrow but make sure to come to apples so we can give you a proper send off.

Leaving for the Pioneers now, hope to catch you guys at apres:30.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    I'm dying to see Dog Days, where can one find it on the interwebs? Would you put up a bit of review maybe on this post or somewhere? I'd love to hear about it, thanks.
    I ordered it from True Grit Productions (http://www.dogdaysofwinter.com/)

Great little documentary about the, well Birth, Boom and almost death (thanks to our litigious society) and history of freestyle. Lot's of good points made about the freedom of skiing and where we are at today with comps, freestyle, freeski, racing, etc. thanks to the efforts made back in the day; progression.

Pretty cool seeing all that old footage from the early freestyle comps and some of the hard to find film footage from Barrymore and other early ski film pioneers. Some really cool interviews with the freestylers, Stein Erickson all the way to Moseley. Well done documentary, I'll watch it again soon. I already have "The Performers" cued up on Netflix. Really cool seeing some of the old Sun Valley comp and freeski footage too.

I haven't seen Legend of Aahh's yet, but imagine it is something like Dog Days. Any input on that Greg?

MtnJam gives it two tips up.

Finally got around to uploading some pictures from the my days afield in snob valley. Thanks again to Sol Skier, Jaded Loc, and Super G, Joe, and Clint for showing me around the hill and the stashes, skiin me into the ground and takin me to party with the legends, giving me maps and rides, takin photos, pointing me in the right direction, shootin the shit in general, thank you guys for helping make the most of my time here. You are welcome at my place in Bozeman any time, any season. I really feel like my week there helped me become a more complete skier.

I blew it on the action/ski hill shots in general but here is a little slide show from a couple of fine days in the Rocky Mountains.

Not your typical Montana approach...

Not a lot of traffic in the week since it snowed.

Things were pretty wind blasted in the alpine but there was still some good snow to be found.

South face first...

Might as well farm some tracks in the best snow...

Groomer pow. Kinda like Greyhawk at the hill but natural...always worth another lap!

A bit windscoured off the top but otherwise great turns practically to the car!

A nice little valley you have there, great corn skiing all the way out, a groomer at the end, seems unreal.

Last edited by tone capone; 03-06-2016 at 12:08 AM.

...So on the last day of my trip I really wanted to do a nice long consistent corn run since things were shaping up nicely for that kind of thing. A nice looking option kept flaunting its flanks to me over across the valley towards the Pioneer mtns. The peaks were looking a bit ragged and wind raped so I figured why not spray sheets of butter down the graceful curves of this stately and attractive foothill!

The great wapiti guards the way:

That tube's gotta go all the way!

2500' unsullied corn halfpipe, score!

A nice skin up consolidated spring snow on this south face:

The storied ski hill makes a nice backdrop:

As did many other places worthy of ski tracks:

Ok, enough daydreaming, back to the task at hand.

A nice place to let the dogs run

Not over yet

Nice convienient handrail for the ride out...If this were a similar distance from Brozeangeles there would be 50 refrozen tracks, 30 bros, 5 steep ass bro skin tracks, 40 dogs, and maybe even a female companion or two up there on an average Sunday. Yeah Sun Valley sucks...A bunch of barren hills surrounded by mediocre mountains, and full of rude entitled people. Fuck this place go to Summit County.

In all seriousness it just impressed me how much skiing was close at hand, what the hill and town have to offer in many regards, and how welcoming the maggots were. I did my best to not leave much of myself on the hill each day and to leave the nicest squiggly lines I could on a few of your fine Idaho variety of rocky mountains. Makes me want to make sure to make time for traveling each winter to see how it's all done somewhere else...Maybe I'll make it to Summit County again one of these years!

Thanks again for sharing and caring guys, I'll be back!
    Last edited by tone capone; 03-07-2016 at 12:11 AM. Reason: clarification

Nice work Tone you got a ton done in your time here. Some people from L.A. say they are only in it for the steep and deep well I hope that works out for them. I say make the most of what the mountains give you and enjoy the fuck out of it because it is always fun, always.

I'm in it for the boot top, the sheets of butter and the machaloony groomer paradise anytime!