Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Big Balls, it's true, this place sucks. I suggest you check out Colorado. I hear it's nice.

Is he gone yet? Cool. Seems like whichever of our smokin' hot local ladies turned him down and got him all angry did the SV area a favor, (note to self - find her, buy her beer)., because that kind of attitude wouldn't really fit in well here.

I've lived in the Wood River Valley for a decade, and the people here that I know, are the kindest, most supportive, and friendliest people I've ever met anywhere.
    Do we have a few d-bags?
    Sure.
    So does every other town in America (Imagine being from NYC, they have to claim TRUMP as one of theirs). Mostly though, those people don't stay. Because it's expensive, and hard to make a living, and the fly fishing, mountain biking, and Nordic skiing are only the second or third best in the country (not really, but saying that keeps the hoards away).

Also, our mountains are flat, un-inspiring, and snowless. Case in point (all taken in the last two weeks) -

I wouldn't take my word for it though, come up here and give us a chance to prove the OP wrong.

P.S. Big Balls can call us douches, but I take exception to him calling our local kids the same. I've had the pleasure of being a ski team coach here for 9 years, and the kids I know are without exception, polite, engaged, humble and inspiring.

I will be there with family in late Feb. Will ski the resort for half the days but am super pumped to check out some touring options in the area. Kind of far out from now, but was hoping I could find someone to show me around a bit. No agenda, just see what conditions end up being like when I am there.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

PM me when we get closer to late Feb, I'd be happy to show you some goods

Thank you that would be awesome! I have had great times there biking in the summer but haven't been in winter yet... I'm up for whatever cards dealt at the time. If it's going off I'll be ready! Great shots by the way, looks like a lot will be in play down there this year.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Whoa, you have a family and shit now? No more bumming and delivering pizza's?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Why was an 8 year old thread about the snobs of Sun Valley dredged up? It's true, there are lots of snobs in SV. I heard lots of stories from the shuttle bus drivers who have to deal with dodging snob dickheads driving their BMW, Audi, and MB SUV's. Yes, you do see the occasional dickhead SV snob over compensating and driving Ferrari's, and other Euro sports cars in the snow. But, hey they are probably just compensating for not being able to ski worth a shit.

I have heard it rarely snows in SV, because they don't call it SUN Valley for nothing, right?

Sometimes it's so SUNNY that you wonder how it could ever snow in a place so SUNNY.

Best to not go to the Valley of the Sun. It's a waste of time, not worth the price of admission, and a bitch to get to. Plus as mentioned, there is no snow there. It's all marketing hype and propaganda to sell over priced real estate.

"We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

that 1st pic reminded me that Sun Valley is where I learned to ski breakable crust one winter long ago.

my memory may be a little jaded, but I thought Baldy was a better mountain than any Sierra resort, only Mammoth comes close.

I had never yet heard of backcountry skiing yet when I was there - we were skiing off the back o baldy down to a dirt road and then hitching back to the lift - or skiing off the back of Seattle Ridge down to the pad in Mountain Meadows.

The winter of 79-80 was a somewhat dry, but once it snowed the pow lasted in little stashes for weeks.

Have no idea what its like now, but back then Ketchum seemed like a sheep town inhabited by dirtbag skiers like myself. All-u-can-eat spaghetti on wednesday night; pharmacological wonders (what is this green stuff and where are the seeds?); trailer parks, dive apartments, meaningful work (Myself: "will I be able to wash dishes after I take this?" my boss "you can wash dishes on anything"). An actual town, and freakishly, the town actually at the base of the ski mountain, whereas "Sun Valley" was somewhere else.

Yeah you guys have it pretty good down there, don't fuck it up!!

Wow it looks like you can ski down to the valley huh? I think it's pretty chill as far as ski resort towns overall, and yeah it's at the base of a ski mountain! I have had nothing but good times in the great state of Idaho. Sun Valley might be less snobby than Bozeman by now, haha! No doubt plenty of skiing to keep the 70yrold parents and I all sorts of entertained for a week. I'm actually really looking forward to it. Split my time between the hill with the parents and going touring.

Hey Tony, a couple of Bozeman Transplants are helping to hold down the fort at the Sawtooth Avi Center.

One used to post here. I can get you in touch if you would like.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Yes Sun Valley is horrible. I regret moving here last month

Quote Originally Posted by Paddymc View Post
    P.S. Big Balls can call us douches, but I take exception to him calling our local kids the same. I've had the pleasure of being a ski team coach here for 9 years, and the kids I know are without exception, polite, engaged, humble and inspiring.
    I was starting to believe you about Sun Valley, but you just outed yourself as a liar. Ski team kids are, without exception, douches.

All those pictures look like a fun time and all, but it also looks like it hasn't snowed in a while in all of them. Look at how green the trees are. Not a single snowflake resting among the needles to be seen.
    No longer stuck.

All those pictures look like a fun time and all, but it also looks like it hasn't snowed in a while in all of them. Look at how green the trees are. Not a single snowflake resting among the needles to be seen.
    That's because the snow is so damn light and dry, just one puff of wind and it blows out of the trees and on to the ground. Kind of sucks, 'cause I have always wanted to try to ski a tree...

Here's an ID tree with some snow on it.

"We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

The crew that sweeps all of the mtb trails in the summer actually has to sweep all of the snow out of the trees in the winter. It's a great program and ups the snow totals.

Thanks Bunion, I will get in touch with you about that before my trip!

Wow, I just got totally side tracked by this thread...

What SV has:
    + lots of sun
    + 3400' of fall line skiing with no flats
    + high speed quads with no lift lines
    + amazing terrain when it *does* snow
    + ridiculously expensive passes (something like $1700 for the season!)
    + too many gray hair retirees that are grumpy and bitter
    + 2 handfuls of haters that don't want anything to change (terrain park, white water park, season pass prices - cause they don't want lift lines)
    + too many second (third) home owners that come for 2 weeks out of the year and think they "live" here
    + plenty of working class folks, raising families that make up the soul of the town and their kids will be the next radsters
    + unbelievable backcountry access that has no crowds, no attitude (dawn patrol, bro!), and no parking problems
    + great snow weeks after a storm, if you know where to look

What SV doesn't have:
    - lots and lots of snow every year
    - rowdy (steep, rocky) terrain in bounds that gets enough snow to ski each year
    - cheap (affordable) season passes
    - bro/bra culture
    - affordable housing
    - much of a middle class (ski bums have been priced out; you're either a Spanish speaking landscaper or a 1%er driving a Porche Cayane)
    - over population competing for a slice of the mountains

What SV needs:
    + jobs so more middle class can live here, work here and play here

But, in the end, so many of you are right. SV sucks and the best part of Idaho is Colorado...
    -

Quote Originally Posted by shakyknees View Post
    "you can wash dishes on anything").
    I can vouch for that.
    "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." - Rancid Crabtree

"never buy anything you can't fuel with a salami sandwich" - XXX-er

Sorry, I'm just used to it being 30 and gray 6 months of the year.
    No longer stuck.

What up snobs! Heading down there for 6 days of skiing. Going to be takin care of the old folks, toolin around, carvin trenches in the lovely world renowned pistes for 4 days, but I will have 2 days set aside for some good old fashioned human powered skiing as well, whatever the best 2 days may be between Tuesday and Sunday of this coming week. My style is more to seek out fast and fun freeride terrain with options for airs and high speed turns, rather than ski mountaineering type objectives or tree skiing but I am down for pretty much anything. Whatever conditions and partners dictate is fine with me, I promise I will have fun and most likely not require a heli vac...If anyone would be kind enough to show me around a bit I will gleefully provide libations and other various forms of entertainment not to dissapoint. Hit me up, take me to the fun shit, lets throw down. Or just carve some trenches in the valley of the sun and drink some beers, whatever, I'm on vacation bitches!

Not too mention Sun Valley is not far from Stanley, one of the coolest...I mean shittiest...places ever

https://www.instagram.com/p/6Tq9BzyO...-by=senoralexk

So I skied the hill today, it was, uh, fast! Was looking out at all kinds of stuff to ski both near and far...Looks like there might be some fun corn lines to be had in the next few days and also there must be some nice settled powder hangin around in the right places as well. Hit me up I am stoked to ski something, I could take a half a day tomorrow or the whole day on Thursday or Friday.

my memory may be a little jaded, but I thought Baldy was a better mountain than any Sierra resort, only Mammoth comes close.

Sun Valley was the first place I skied out west. I loved it, but better than any Sierra resort? Not if you like steep terrain, or high snow levels. Sun Valley is not even close to Squaw when it comes to steep terrain, they are not even in the same league. I don't see how anyone who likes steeps can possibly like Sun Valley better than Squaw or Mammoth, they are not even remotely similar. If you like long groomers with an uninterrupted pitch than Sun Valley is great.

About the Mammoth comment, Squaw is a much better mountain than Mammoth. I skied Mammoth 2-3 weekends a month during college. After 5 ski bum years in Squaw I became a yuppie and went back to skiing Mammoth 2-3 weekends a month. I love Mammoth, but Squaw has better terrain. I did not miss Mammoth when I lived in Tahoe and skied Squaw, but I do miss Squaw now. I would rather ski Squaw than Mammoth, but I live in socal so Mammoth is my option. It is not a bad option to have, I love my weekends there, but I would rather ski Squaw. Don't get me wrong, there are times I like Mammoth better, like when Squaw is bumped out and the wind machine has Mammoth in smooth buff, or when Squaw is raining and Mammoth has snow, but overall I prefer Squaw.

To get back to Sun Valley, sorry to be a jerk but I can't fathom how anyone who likes steep terrain can prefer Sun Valley to the Sierra. Kirkwood, Sugar Bowl, not to mention Squaw Alpine and Mammoth are all much steeper. Sun Valley does not have the crazy terrain of the Sierra, not even close.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

No, but good god if you let 'em run on some of these groomers, you are doing ludicrous speed in no time with tons of gapers to dodge! Definetly will get the heart pumpin if you are into that sort of thing...To try and ride your edges down warm springs or some of the other steeper groomers you'd be going 70 easily.

A fun novelty but not really my sort of thing to do all the time.

Which leaves me again looking for some side show entertainment. That 2500' face across the warm springs valley looks like it could be a good corn run in the next couple days, also was looking at doing a tour out to Johnstone peak which seems to hold the promise of nice views and a 2000+ foot corn run... Just seems like the logical thing to do out there during this period of clear stable weather and warming temps...But I have no clue, I don't know what the good access is or where there might be some nice long pow runs that are preserved and not wind affected around these parts. A pleasant skin, a nice view of the higher mountains, and a long smooth corn or settled pow run would be dope if anyone is interested in showin me around or providing beta. Safety and apres would be top priorities...Either way I'm gonna go wander around somewhere far away from the gapes.

Is this for real or do you work for SKI magazine? Baldy is a nice mountain and I'm a fan of Sun Valley in general but compared to the terrain at Squaw / Alpine / Kirkwood? I guess if we're only talking about groomers but otherwise that's just crazy talk.

Lets not get sidetracked, Squaw is great so be it, but it isn't shit compared to Jackson which isn't shit compared to Whistler which isn't shit compared to Cham (yeah I said Cham) and so we have once again arrived at the eternal internet truth and that is if you aren't skiing Cham you aren't shit. Tone I am up on Baldy every afternoon for the glass off session 2-4. Lets ski some runs talk some shit maybe drink some beers at Apples on friday 4-? I wear all gray with gray helmet and Yellow Smiths with yellow band and red white and blue K2s most days. Yell at me and we will have a good time.