Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Subarus are hippy cars?

Who loves Subarus more than hippies and those that like being outside enjoying the environment (and lesbos)? So why the hell hasn't Subaru made a hybrid or a diesel? Seems they aren't catering to their main market segment. What's the deal?

They have diesels in euroland. 2010 release here I believe? 2.0L Boxer diesel. Seems like they oughtta make a diesel hybrid or something though.

Diesel. Very good ratings in the euro press.
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

Subie has some very good hybrid technology in the works, this is why Toyota bought their share in Subaru. Subie just didn't have the deep pockets to push the research along. I was really waiting for the new diesel Forester, but with diesel being 5.50/gal here, I am not so sure I want it now...we will see in 2 years when my lease expires.
    Click. Point. Chute.

All subies should roll out of the factory with a faded "Kerry/Edwards" sticker. IMO Subaru makes a rad vehicle. However, I could never bring myself to own one because of the large segment of Douchebag Nation that is associated with them. Not that I haven't known normal people who own them.

It's like the Greatful Dead. I don't think they're anything special, but I don't think they completely suck either. Yet every time I hear them I cring because I think of their millions of stinky moron fans. Not that I don't know a few normal people (people who don't make a living selling tye-dyes and nitrous balloons and who shower regularly) who like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    All subies should roll out of the factory with a faded "Kerry/Edwards" sticker. IMO Subaru makes a rad vehicle. However, I could never bring myself to own one because of the large segment of Douchebag Nation that is associated with them. Not that I haven't known normal people who own them.

It's like the Greatful Dead. I don't think they're anything special, but I don't think they completely suck either. Yet every time I hear them I cring because I think of their millions of stinky moron fans. Not that I don't know a few normal people (people who don't make a living selling tye-dyes and nitrous balloons and who shower regularly) who like them.
    I resent that. Some of us still have "Mondale/Ferraro" stickers on ours.
    Click. Point. Chute.

sti = most fun car I've ever driven. Kills it in the snow too. Too bad its $35K over my budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    It's like the Greatful Dead. I don't think they're anything special, but I don't think they completely suck either. Yet every time I hear them I cring because I think of their millions of stinky moron fans.
    Heh. That's how I feel about Sublime.

It makes a lot of sense to dislike something just because someone else likes it.

A lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    It makes a lot of sense to dislike something just because someone else likes it.

A lot of sense.
    I don't dislike subies. If you know how to read, you obviously saw where I said I think they're rad vehicles. It's more like I have some kind of Pavlovian conditioning against them. Why am I typing this when it's obvious that you are an illiterate? Doesn't make a lot of sense...

I was referring to the part where you said could never bring yourself to own one because of the people who drive them.

That's dumb.
    Well, you're dumb so I guess that cancells it out, huh?

edit: Whoa - I guess Steve realised what a dummy he was and deleted it. Goodonya, Steve!

Also - I drive a black Ranger.

If you had read your own post, it would be pretty obvious that there is something you dislike about Subarus.

Do you want to try again?

edit: shoot, I gave you the answer- didn't think you could read that fast. Oh well, that'll save you a few hours.

Enjoy your Sunday!
    Last edited by Steven S. Dallas; 06-08-2008 at 10:21 AM.

My big, fat, redneck neighbor was going on and on about how my Subaru was a "Jap car".

I pointed out his Dodge pickup is made in Mexico, and my Subaru is made in Indiana....

Pnk'd his fat ass...

Shit, not only do I drive a Forester, I'm looking at a used Miata for a second toy car.

I'm secure in my sexuality.

You also listen to the Grateful Dead and root for the Yankees.

I loathe you.

If you had read your own post, it would be pretty obvious that there is something you dislike about Subarus.

Do you want to try again?
    Sure.

I don't really dislike anything about subies, like I said - they're rad. Many of their owners on the other hand...

Did I get it right that time? If not I can keep trying - I've got all day. It's pouring out and I already watched the DVD I got yesterday. "Them" (French) is a shit movie, by the way.

You also listen to the Grateful Dead
    Oh no I don't. Now you've gone too far. Jezuz, how can somebody make a guitar sound like a cat is jumping around on the neck during it's heat.........

Subies are cool. Rented one around 15 years ago on a trip to CO. I loved it, although it was pretty gutless. My buddy has a nice wagon, again gutless as he didn't get the turbo. Just a tad small for my taste too. I drive an AWD Volvo V70R that I have found pretty much perfect for my needs and taste.
    I wish Honda would make an AWD Accord wagon. I think they would sell a bunch of them and the do have the hybrid think too. I like Honda's more than Subies for size, fit and finish.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

So what's with all the Subies with the Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle badges on them? Is that bullshit?
    They do get pretty bad mileage--I'm not sure any somewhat heavy, AWD vehicle gets good mileage, but my Suby is often 5-10 mpg less than my shitbox Altima used to get. Bottoms out at 15-17 for city driving.
    [quote][//quote]

A beer fortress in the kingdom of cheese...
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Shit, not only do I drive a Forester, I'm looking at a used Miata for a second toy car.

I'm secure in my sexuality.
    Benny, I'm impressed! Congratulations... It's not every man who will say he's a Lesbian and secure with that!!!
    If some of the best times of my life were skiing the UP in -40 wind chill with nothing but jeans, cotton long johns and a wine flask to keep warm while sleeping in the back of my dad's van... does that make me old school?

"REHAB SAVAGE, REHAB!!!"

hey, yo, me and lesbians are simpatico. We like eating fur burger.

The other day I saw a black Subaru Outback with very dark-tinted windows (in Seattle??), a black Packasport (stickers removed - to enhance the "blackness" I guess) and black rims. WTF? Did I miss the new "Pimp my Subie" show? Do you even take this thing to the mountains? 1 trip and its time to wash the fucking thing.

Hardly a lesbian, hardly a hippie, but most definitely a douchebag.

You also listen to the Grateful Dead and root for the Yankees.

I loathe you.
    I drive a legacy outback, I like the Dead but I HATE THE SKANKS, I root for my beantown teams the Sox, Celts, Bruins and the Pats that the rest of America loves

I am still wishing for the Mannings to get the Madden Curse.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

Quote Originally Posted by timvwcom View Post
    Benny, I'm impressed! Congratulations... It's not every man who will say he's a Lesbian and secure with that!!!
    I will freely admit that I am a Subaru owning lesbian. It's still better than the alternative.
    Congrats, mags! We collected 1030.68! for birdman!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    No is that like whne I come on your mosms face whle you lick my ballsss???

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    So what's with all the Subies with the Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle badges on them? Is that bullshit?
    They do get pretty bad mileage--I'm not sure any somewhat heavy, AWD vehicle gets good mileage, but my Suby is often 5-10 mpg less than my shitbox Altima used to get. Bottoms out at 15-17 for city driving.
    The normally-aspirated 2.5l engines are PZEV. Average emissions for a new car is 0.38 ~ Suby's PZEV rating is 0.09 (Not bad for a 170hp / 167lb.ft. powerplant.)

Bad mileage? Most folks with the 2.5 are getting 26-28 up here & 1 guy who runs Conway --> Portland & back everyday is getting over 32.

Consumer Reports just listed their Top 10 (11 models, actually) for MPG rating. 5 of the Top are all (only) getting 30-31. Meanwhile, the Suby is getting more hp & torque in an AWD vehicle that sees a realistic 26-30? Hell, that's pretty impressive, IMO.
    We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need? ~ Lee Iacocca