Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?

Help me understand... illegal drug use

Personally, I'm live and let live when it comes to this, but I don't get it.

Same goes for getting so drunk that being sick is guaranteed or drinking any alcohol that tastes completely awful because it gets you drunk quicker.

What drives someone to do meth, crack, heroin or any drug where there is a high chance of addiction, arrest for possession, etc?
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

Is this a rhetorical question? You seem so worldly and wise in so many of your posts that I believe you must know, but maybe not understand, some of the reasons?

what drives someone to any self-destructive behavior?

I think its pretty simple.

If your sadness/hopelessness/angst/pain/frustration/etc then you really don't care about consequences, you just want to escape for a little while.

Addiction happens because once you escape once, you want that escape again, once you start becoming addicted to something, returning to your normal life gets harder and harder because your normal life is getting worse and worse, so you want to escape more and more.

I figured everyone knew this intuitively.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

We're wired for em.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

I am sure that one element of an addictive personality is a sense of immortality - that "addiction couldn't happen to me."

There is a lot of pain out there, too, and people are looking to escape from that pain.

I can say I assume many reasons why. Many of those 'reasons' are judgmental in nature so I'm looking for other points of view.
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post

If your sadness/hopelessness/angst/pain/frustration/etc then you really don't care about consequences, you just want to escape for a little while.

Addiction happens because once you escape once, you want that escape again, once you start becoming addicted to something, returning to your normal life gets harder and harder because your normal life is getting worse and worse, so you want to escape more and more.

thanks for this installment of "the more you know"
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

I don't know, I stick to the hippy drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by bklyn View Post
    What drives someone to do meth, crack, heroin or any drug where there is a high chance of addiction, arrest for possession, etc?
    Being honest here: because they are relatively cheap and they really fuck you up.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Many of those 'reasons' are judgmental in nature so I'm looking for other points of view.

I think that's self protection, but like LB said, it's in us. Every once in a while, when I'm on my high horse and one of my co-workers starts treating one of these types like shit, I tell them that they are one dui/divorce/bankruptcy/whatever, from being in their shoes. Maybe true, maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I don't know, I stick to the hippy drugs.
    Is there really a difference?
    IMO, no.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post

ding ding ding....we have a winner.........

let's also not forget depression and low self esteem.

The bullshit-free answer to your question:

people do hard drugs because they like the feeling the hard drugs provide.
    "Active management in bear markets tends to outperform. Unfortunately, investors are not as elated with relative returns when they are negative. But it does support the argument that active management adds value." -- independent fund analyst Peter Loach

That's right, I am a bad person for smoking weed.

IMO, no.
    What are you talking about? Explain your comment.
    "Active management in bear markets tends to outperform. Unfortunately, investors are not as elated with relative returns when they are negative. But it does support the argument that active management adds value." -- independent fund analyst Peter Loach

Quote Originally Posted by soulman978 View Post
    .....let's also not forget depression and low self esteem.
    So all those people who stink of weed have low self esteem?

IMO, no.
    I think so.
    One's escapism, and can be more easily controlled. The other's slow suicide.

advres Guest
    I've personally never tried it, but I know people who have used Heroin. If you like to get high, they say there is absolutely nothing that compares to the feeling you get when you are on it. When coming off it and/or trying to kick it is the worst feeling they have ever felt.

A singer friend of mind rationalized it because doing any other drugs fucked up his throat, lungs and nasal cavity. Priorities...

Liberal Genius Guest
    Ever been to a Phish concert? LOL

Same as you strapping skis on with the possibility of killing yourself. You do it for the fun/rush/high.
    Pretty simple really.

mostly just willie nelson

because we're still not able to wire electrodes directly to the pleasure centres of our brains? i assure you, as soon as we can do that all drug use will cease.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Huckable View Post
    What are you talking about? Explain your comment.
    I don't understand the motivations of the person who has to light up a joint, snort a line, pop pills, or get ridiculously drunk at every social event, or to get through a quiet Sunday afternoon. I'd also like to come to a different conclusion than they are somehow 'weak'.

If the only answer is 'low self esteem' ....

Quote Originally Posted by f2f View Post
    because we're still not able to wire electrodes directly to the pleasure centres of our brains? i assure you, as soon as we can do that all drug use will cease.
    There are many positive ways to be happy(ier) that don't involve addiction or the possibility of incarceration.
    Last edited by bklyn; 06-05-2008 at 01:08 PM.

not all, but some do. I never said that you had to be all of those things, just added two more contributing factors to the list.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    "People who take drugs for spiritual or religious reasons are full of shit man.
    Drugs only redeeming feature are they get you high"
    -James Taylor
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno