Page 5 of 82 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    How do you/your kids like the freeboard? I was looking at those and they look pretty sweet. How similar to snowboarding is it actually? Would you recommend one over a longboard?

Quote Originally Posted by Doober View Post
    How do you/your kids like the freeboard? I was looking at those and they look pretty sweet. How similar to snowboarding is it actually? Would you recommend one over a longboard?
    Tate has only had it for a couple of days, and has spent most of that time working, so he really hasn't had a chance to get out and experiment.

The trick, just like snowboarding, is to get the speed up. On asphalt that takes a little more nerve.

He favors the freebord over our longboard. Now.... I have to work up enough nerve to give it a try.....
    Old and Getting Older........
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

.....go out and make this season the best season of your life. Ski that line, take that trip, slide that rail, make that leap, live for the moment, and make memories with friends that’ll last a lifetime, because as a great man once said, “If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be one year older when you do.”

-Mike Rogge

Some more B&W.....

Diamond Peak, Idaho

On the way to BigSky - Yellowstone snow....

Tate on the Beartooth Pass

Sunset on the Lemhi Range

Storm Clouds.....

Turner, doing the longboard the easy way......

Hard night there Trent?
    Last edited by Little Big Lost; 07-09-2008 at 03:39 PM.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

.....go out and make this season the best season of your life. Ski that line, take that trip, slide that rail, make that leap, live for the moment, and make memories with friends that’ll last a lifetime, because as a great man once said, “If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be one year older when you do.”

-Mike Rogge

I have had a few people ask me about my camera(s), and/or my technique……

My cameras, well that is easy. Digital. I have 5, collected over the years. Not that I don’t have film cameras, as a matter of fact I have 2 very nice ones. Don’t use ‘em anymore.

1. My first one – RCA piece of shit. Might use it for target practice.
    2. Mintolta Z1 - Nice camera, but a little short on the MP….Some of the shots I have posted up here were taken with that camera.
    3. Kodak Easy Share – Hate the name, but a fairly nice camera, 6megapixels, small and easy to carry around. Also some of these shots were from that camera.
    4. Sony Cybershot – Better, but has some shortcomings – This one was given to me so no complaining.
    5. Sony a100 – Frikin’ nice camera. Even with a cheap 100-300 lens it takes some awesome shots. Versatile and easy to use. One problem. I was too hard on it and it is in getting repaired. Fell on it too many times, snowboarding. I should have it back shortly.

Cameras make a difference, but unless one really takes the time to really get into photography, shitty shots can still be the norm. I happen to like the way it can document my (and my children’s) life, so I have given it a little more attention than your average Joe. Now I am no expert, but my skills have improved over the last couple of years. All I have to do is go back and have a look at some shots from a couple of years ago - what a difference.

Location. Not that good photos can’t be taken just about anywhere, I happen to live in a central location to some kick ass country. I live +- 25 miles east of Idaho Falls. To me, this place is paradise, and I have lived in enough places to be able to say that. Trust me.

Outdoorsy. Yep, that is me. Snowboarding all winter, hiking and climbing all summer. I have three, yes three teenage boys and they keep me young. And they make fairly interesting subjects, at least to me.

Computer skills. Yes, I do a bit of post-processing. Mostly cropping. That makes a huge difference, and can make or break a photo.

Camera settings. Well that one is tougher. I guess the easiest way to explain is to experiment. Get a huge memory card and take a shit load of shots. Play with the settings, and see what works and what doesn’t.

Get up early, stay up late. Be prepared for the unexpected. Get familiar with your camera. Get a tripod and a cable release. Some filters can be handy but I think they are over-rated. With human subjects, don't be afraid to get close. And most important of all - Do it for fun.

I hope that answered some questions. Not sure that it did!

Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Some, in fact most of these shots are truly stunning! The one of your two boys on the bench at sunset is very curious- it's a bit of an optical illusion in that you can't really tell which way they are facing- towards or away from the camera, which is wierd as it isn't a complete silhouette...

As many have said, you could definately make serious money from selling these. As shooting appears to be something which you both excel at and clearly enjoy, may I ask what you do make a living from doing that can possibly be as rewarding as this?
    Today ridicule, tomorrow really cool.

http://www.left-collective.com/
    FOLLOW YOUR OWN WAY

Quote Originally Posted by Misty_Fly View Post
    Some, in fact most of these shots are truly stunning! The one of your two boys on the bench at sunset is very curious- it's a bit of an optical illusion in that you can't really tell which way they are facing- towards or away from the camera, which is weird as it isn't a complete silhouette...

As many have said, you could definitely make serious money from selling these. As shooting appears to be something which you both excel at and clearly enjoy, may I ask what you do make a living from doing that can possibly be as rewarding as this?
    Thanks!

Well, I have made a bit of money from my photos, though I certainly don't do it for that reason. I want it to be fun. I don't want to feel pressured to perform - the reason I have turned down wedding gigs.

What do I do for a living? I supervise a fresh potato warehouse - the day to day operations. Not a bad way to make a living. I get plenty of time off (paid) to go play, and that is one thing I am good at.

Me and my boss hard at work on a Thursday afternoon.

I am not a huge fan of snowmobiling, but the boss is......gotta keep him happy!
    Last edited by Little Big Lost; 07-09-2008 at 06:54 PM.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

This is an HOF thread if there ever was one. Lovin' it.

never a dull post... cheers for your work.

I'd buy that

Life is not lift served.

Again - thank you everyone!

Got to thinking and a couple more things came to mind about photography technique....

Odd things make for great subject material. Below you see the old lift chair, I was stationed at the top of the hill in the nice warm shack, watching all the folks getting off the lift. This chair, #13, I noticed it every time it came around. After it went by a million times I got off my ass and snapped a few shots.....turned out kinda cool....

Sunrise and sunsets - a great time to take photos.

Inclement weather also produces great shots, especially just after a storm has passed....

A zoom lens is great to take photos of people. You can be far enough away that they are (mostly) unaware that they are being photographed.

Full moons? Best to take shots the Day before the actual full moon. The contrasts are not as great and allows the camera to perform better.......

Animals, old trucks, snowplows, fence lines- all great subject matter.

Forgive me if I have posted a shot twice...getting hard to remember.....

Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

This is sick;

right place at the right time, eh?

Amazing shots man...thanks for sharing!!!

I totally understand the doing what you love for work. I think I am stuck no matter what I do though. Keep it up!!!

FKNA awesome. Thanks!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Definite hall of fame thread. I am blown away...

and this just about seals the deal on a trip back to Jackson next year.

man you set the bar high

I feel unworthy to post amidst all the top quality stoke on this site, but I love lurking through it!!!
    prohibition is the opposite of liberty
    "...the ski patrol brought our poles down to us, & were buyin' us beers. If we did that in the states they'd take our gear & put us in jail.
    It's so much nicer to be in the real land of the free." Shane McConkey

may you bask in the cacophony of onehanded applause
    like the sound of crystal falling gently to the trees

Quite an aray of quality photos here. To get the lightning, do you just leave the shutter open manually till after its over?

Quote Originally Posted by PowStompper View Post
    Quite an aray of quality photos here. To get the lightning, do you just leave the shutter open manually till after its over?
    Each lightning storm is a little different, and it depends on where you are and how much "other" light is present.

This was with a tripod and cable release. Still the street lights are kinda blurry cuz the wind was blowing like hell....

This one was in a darker place with no other light present. I had the camera in hand with my finger on the shutter. BOOM!
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

This thread kicks so much ass.

I would def. buy some of those pics from you. Really amazing work.

Makes me want to move to Idaho. The mountains/secenary is amazing.

Cute boys too!
    ‎"Powder snow skiing is not fun. It's life, fully lived, life lived in a blaze of reality." -Dolores LaChapelle

Quote Originally Posted by bumpskier View Post
    This thread kicks so much ass.

I would def. buy some of those pics from you. Really amazing work.

Makes me want to move to Idaho. The mountains/secenary is amazing.

Cute boys too!
    Ahhhh.....the boys.

Turner - 17. Tall, dark and moody. Still trying to find himself. Much like I was at that age. Good kid. Hard worker. Kickass snowboarder.

Tate -16. Funny, knows things, interesting to be around. Always in a good mood....always. Kickass snowboarder.

Trent - 14. The "golden boy" Small for his age, athletic as hell, straight A student. Can do things on a snowboard beyond his years. His older bothers hate him ... ;-)

My life centers around these boys ......... I opened the door to adventure for them, and now......we are on a hell of a journey.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Africa anyone?

Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Nice shots!

This one needed to be re-posted...
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

Holy shit your pictures are good! Love this thread.
    Last edited by Alpine Dreams; 07-11-2008 at 10:03 PM.
    Have fun or get hurt bad. "MFT" A.K.A. Dr. Doom

There are but three true sports--bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. "Ernest Hemingway"

Last edited by Little Big Lost; 07-12-2008 at 09:46 AM.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Last edited by Little Big Lost; 07-12-2008 at 03:08 PM.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge