Page 75 of 82 FirstFirst ... 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 2037
    Looked down today and saw this...was worried for a second....😆
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220605_142023.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	418198
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220605_164018.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	418197  
    Old and Getting Older........
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

.....go out and make this season the best season of your life. Ski that line, take that trip, slide that rail, make that leap, live for the moment, and make memories with friends that’ll last a lifetime, because as a great man once said, “If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be one year older when you do.”

-Mike Rogge

New Mexico you never knew existed.

Name:	20220606_195513.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	418271
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

.....go out and make this season the best season of your life. Ski that line, take that trip, slide that rail, make that leap, live for the moment, and make memories with friends that’ll last a lifetime, because as a great man once said, “If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be one year older when you do.”

-Mike Rogge

Day 45. The fire is winding down finally, hoping to head for home soon. Our last day is the 20th and it will take 2 days to get home.

I am also hopeful that there will be enough snow left at home to get one last snowboarding trip in for the season. We'll see.

Hermit Peak. Interesting story about the Italian Hermit who lived in a cave near the top.... back in the 1860s. Even now it seems so remote...

Name:	20220607_193725.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	595.5 KB 
ID:	418539
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermit_Peak
    Last edited by Little Big Lost; 06-10-2022 at 10:49 AM.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

I hope you’re getting some enjoyment out of experiencing some of the most interesting country in NM. The spice of that area is strong, it has to be one of the most uniquely resistant places to conformity and modernization in the contiguous 48…I imagine there will be a wealth of stories coming from this firefight.

I hope the level of hostility encountered is minimal, but I recently spoke with a longtime friend who has been shot at over a dozen times working fire in that area, so I always have concerns about scattered wildcards in those parts.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    I hope you’re getting some enjoyment out of experiencing some of the most interesting country in NM. The spice of that area is strong, it has to be one of the most uniquely resistant places to conformity and modernization in the contiguous 48…I imagine there will be a wealth of stories coming from this firefight.

I hope the level of hostility encountered is minimal, but I recently spoke with a longtime friend who has been shot at over a dozen times working fire in that area, so I always have concerns about scattered wildcards in those parts.
    Understood. Only 2 personal instances with guns, the first I attribute to the guy getting his shit and was evacuating with bandolliers and pistols strapped on, among other stuff. Saw him the next day sans weaponry. Talked to him a bit, said he was loading valuables and removing vehicles. Offered the use of his generator and barn if we needed it. Seemed like a nice guy. His place ended up completely destroyed, was in a spot very hard to protect.

Other time was guy with a pistol strapped on, hand resting on the butt in a menacing manner. 'So many strangers around up here lately...' yeah, driving pickups/water trucks/engines with an E# or O# on windshields...you know wearing yellow and greens........yeah.....

Was able to defuse a situation with a landowner while trying to 'rehab' his burned property. He owns several thousand acres of prime real estate. Timberland and hay meadows. Incredibly beautiful country....still, cuz it burned like a mf. Bad for him, probably good for the land in the long run. He was reluctant to open a gate to portions of his vast landholdings and allow us easy access to the burned areas. All this equipment sitting at his propery line...gate locked, him standing there with his hands on his hips.I got out of my pickup and walked up to him and said 'We've met. About a month ago. Was when we were putting in the lines.' I had had a long conversation with him those weeks ago. He said then that he appreciated what we were doing and we had talked general bullshit for a while. Long story short, he gave me a hand shake and opened the gate. Saved us hours of finding another way in. Taskforce was impressed.

He was pissed, and I understand...the Forest Service started this fire. He has every right to be.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Some of his property.

Name:	20220609_110840.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	418573
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

If you are in Pecos again, I highly recommend eating breakfast at Frankie's at the Cassanova. The best pinion pancakes ever. Actually, everything is great there.

You won't be sorry.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    If you are in Pecos again, I highly recommend eating breakfast at Frankie's at the Cassanova. The best pinion pancakes ever. Actually, everything is great there.

You won't be sorry.

Headed over that way tomorrow, will try to make time to stop in and have some! Thanks!
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Quote Originally Posted by Little Big Lost View Post
    Understood. Only 2 personal instances with guns, the first I attribute to the guy getting his shit and was evacuating with bandolliers and pistols strapped on, among other stuff. Saw him the next day sans weaponry. Talked to him a bit, said he was loading valuables and removing vehicles. Offered the use of his generator and barn if we needed it. Seemed like a nice guy. His place ended up completely destroyed, was in a spot very hard to protect.

Other time was guy with a pistol strapped on, hand resting on the butt in a menacing manner. 'So many strangers around up here lately...' yeah, driving pickups/water trucks/engines with an E# or O# on windshields...you know wearing yellow and greens........yeah.....

Was able to defuse a situation with a landowner while trying to 'rehab' his burned property. He owns several thousand acres of prime real estate. Timberland and hay meadows. Incredibly beautiful country....still, cuz it burned like a mf. Bad for him, probably good for the land in the long run. He was reluctant to open a gate to portions of his vast landholdings and allow us easy access to the burned areas. All this equipment sitting at his propery line...gate locked, him standing there with his hands on his hips.I got out of my pickup and walked up to him and said 'We've met. About a month ago. Was when we were putting in the lines.' I had had a long conversation with him those weeks ago. He said then that he appreciated what we were doing and we had talked general bullshit for a while. Long story short, he gave me a hand shake and opened the gate. Saved us hours of finding another way in. Taskforce was impressed.

He was pissed, and I understand...the Forest Service started this fire. He has every right to be.
    Yeah, that’s how it’s done.
    I think a more squirrely or officious or cocky type of guy would have had a worse time with that whole setup. You’re the right guy for that situation, respect.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Yeah, that’s how it’s done.
    I think a more squirrely or officious or cocky type of guy would have had a worse time with that whole setup. You’re the right guy for that situation, respect.
    We spent more time on his section of the repair than we normally do, tried to make it as nice as possible, improved a bit of road as a bonus. Was the least we could do.

His place on fire...

Name:	20220610_211529.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	531.6 KB 
ID:	418583
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post

You won't be sorry.

I had the Green Chili Cheeseburger. Delicious! Thanks!

Name:	20220613_091408.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	886.8 KB 
ID:	418787

New Mexico Moon

Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

From my vantage point it looks like a volcano going off. Burned acreage is going to go up a bit. #newmexico #fire #CalfCanyonFire

Name:	20220614_181259.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	897.5 KB 
ID:	418888
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Barillas Peak fire lookout. Toast. Spent my day here today. 60mph winds through the skeleton made eerie sounds. Very lonesome. Very rugged road to the top. Very.

Name:	Screenshot_20220614-193105_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	797.1 KB 
ID:	418909

Name:	20220614_192937.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	575.3 KB 
ID:	418910

Today is day 50. 7 more to go before we head for home. Two weeks off and away we go again.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Way to hang tough JB.

If you have the inclination still to go for a moto ride, lemme know when ya get home.

I'll buy the lunch and brews.

Keep safe...

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Way to hang tough JB.

If you have the inclination still to go for a moto ride, lemme know when ya get home.

I'll buy the lunch and brews.

Keep safe...
    Thanks! Let's see how it goes. So much to do.. so little time.....but...don't count it out! 😉
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

New granddaughter born today! Winslow Eleanor Harris. Winnie.

Name:	20220617_180157.jpg 
Size:	241.0 KB 
ID:	419159

Made a grown man cry....
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

nice… as the circle of life continues ever onward!

^^^ relevant in how many ways in this thread.

mazel tove LBL, oh - and strong work

I never hesitate to visit here... always inspirational and warm.

be safe . be well . maggot
    Last edited by Gepeto; 06-17-2022 at 11:51 PM.
    ​I am not in your hurry

Congratulations, JB !
    I hope those were 'Happy tears' ! !

I love this thread, and

Thank you for your friendship ! And

Congratulations ! !!! on your new Granddaughter ! !
    ( I hope you Go to meet Winnie next week ! )
    With love, my friend !

tj

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    nice… as the circle of life continues ever onward!
    6 grandkids. 3 boys, 3 girls. Seems about just right. 😁
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post
    ^^^ relevant in how many ways in this thread.

mazel tove LBL, oh - and strong work

I never hesitate to visit here... always inspirational and warm.

be safe . be well . maggot
    Thanks! I hope to continue to keep the thread interesting and relevant. More to come!
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    Congratulations, JB !
    I hope those were 'Happy tears' ! !

I love this thread, and

Thank you for your friendship ! And

Congratulations ! !!! on your new Granddaughter ! !
    ( I hope you Go to meet Winnie next week ! )
    With love, my friend !

tj
    I hope to get over to Boise to visit my boys family as soon as I get back to Idaho. Get acquainted with the new family member, and do a little mountain biking while I am there. 😁
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Day 55. Last day! Headed home in the morning!

Name:	IMG-PHOTO-ART-2126771304.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	419374
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Weed wash. Part of the demob process. The mud is thick and hard. Going to slip the boys a $50 for having to deal with a particularly nasty job.

Name:	20220621_080342.jpg 
Size:	666.4 KB 
ID:	419465
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge