Page 8 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogg View Post
    I like this photo a lot, even though it could probably be tightened up technically.

Having a tough time visualizing the aspect of this... Hoback Peak is just west of Bondurant, no? Wouldn't the view from there be looking straight up the spine of the Tetons, and not highly oblique as this photo appears to be?
    Yes, you are right....not the best shot. The day was a bit smoky and I had to zoom in a bit and adjust the contrast to give a better idea of the actual view was like. (It is also a bit foreshortened). But I thought it was kinda cool, odd view point and all - from the top of Deadman Peak.

Have a look at a map, the Grand is 50 miles north and at 352 degrees. Deadman is almost straight south.....weird huh.

I am 100% sure that this is where the shot was taken from, though it looks unpossible doesn't it?

Having trouble with the ol' enter button apparently...........
    Last edited by Little Big Lost; 07-22-2008 at 09:45 PM.
    Old and Getting Older........
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

.....go out and make this season the best season of your life. Ski that line, take that trip, slide that rail, make that leap, live for the moment, and make memories with friends that’ll last a lifetime, because as a great man once said, “If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be one year older when you do.”

-Mike Rogge

Quote Originally Posted by bubba-k View Post
    your supply of goods is neverending!

That is because I am old and have had years to collect all this shit!
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

.....go out and make this season the best season of your life. Ski that line, take that trip, slide that rail, make that leap, live for the moment, and make memories with friends that’ll last a lifetime, because as a great man once said, “If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be one year older when you do.”

-Mike Rogge

Summer 2007 cont....

July 4th. Again, by myself. These boys of mine all seem to have jobs that entails them to work weekends and holidays. Sucks. Doesn't stop me from heading into the high country, just not as much fun.......

Climbed Triple Peak (Wyoming Range) this day. Awesome country. Huge cliffs. Wide open spaces. Old triangulation station on top, probably from Bannon.

Shot taken earlier in the year......

While descending, I had a small little accident....I kid you not, I fell into an actual factual bear den. 3/4 of the way off this peak while negotiating through some steep, rocky terrain mixed with plenty of deadfall I was surprised as hell when I slipped onto my ass and slid a short distance and then off about a 5 foot drop.....right into a den. The opening to the hole went straight down, and in I went.

Now keep in mind.... no bear in it.....but I did not have the presence of mind right then to realize that! Talk about an old man moving fast! I was out in about one second, adrenaline running to the max in my veins… Yikes!

HooBoy! Well took about five minutes to calm down and assess there was no danger, but oh what a rush!

Early morning, looking back towards McDougal....

Looking North......McDougal and in the distance Deadman....
    Last edited by Little Big Lost; 07-22-2008 at 03:43 PM.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Thanks BigLost

this reflection shot is the epitome of the right place at the right time
    $$$shot fo'sho' keep up the good work, my vote for best thread ever
    prohibition is the opposite of liberty
    "...the ski patrol brought our poles down to us, & were buyin' us beers. If we did that in the states they'd take our gear & put us in jail.
    It's so much nicer to be in the real land of the free." Shane McConkey

may you bask in the cacophony of onehanded applause
    like the sound of crystal falling gently to the trees

Hey, JB, I was wondering where you went. Nice pics.

Quote Originally Posted by brendon_ View Post
    Hey, JB, I was wondering where you went. Nice pics.
    Yep, it's me......and you? Puerto Rico?
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Mmmmmm....Bears....

Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

I like this photo a lot, even though it could probably be tightened up technically....
    We must have missed all of the "technically" perfect shots you've posted up recently, please fill us in....

Little Big Lost, you have some serious talent, a great bunch of boys and you live in an amazing place. Thank you for sharing part of your life with us.

I wanna live where you live...
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
    Women that straightline are hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Big Lost View Post
    Yep, it's me......and you? Puerto Rico?
    San Diego, be back to Idaho in the fall.

Near home......

Full moon over the Heise Cliffs

You lookin' at me?

Near Dubois WY - Absarokas - Near Double Cabin

We all know where this is......

Ramshorn.....

Hauling ass... Tate and a buddy......

Horse Creek Fire 2007 - Near Daniel WY

BFE Idaho

Sundance WY

Sunset near home.....

Fall leaf.

Palisade Creek Moonrise
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Nice LBL. I read your story today and it made me feel like I have wasted half my life. I can't imagine the detail you could provide in a real book. Maybe you could put something together with you photos and come up with a unique presentation using your unique perceptions and perspectives. Few of us have had so much perspective and I think that is what makes your photos so rich. Traveling the world at a young age like that, while I am sure it has it's price, must imprint so much on a young mind. Great thread. I'll be checking daily. Got any sweet fishing pictures?
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

this page also rocks.

Aside from this page's color skills...

Biker Chick is the hots!

i just spent an hour going through this thread absorbing everything i could. I just turned 18 a month ago and recently got into photography after doing minute long exposures of night scenery writing stuff with flash lights and all that jazz, and first seeing these pictures then hearing your life story blew me away.
    It's also extremely incredible that your thread held this insanely critical group of people from calling out each other which turns every thread into a "who is the most cunning person with the biggest ego" game.
    My honest opinion is that you should start your own blog and i'm sure you could make quite profit off of it as well. My friend's aunt got knocked up and started her own blog and it is insanely successful. Your life story, i believe, is doubly more interesting and insightful as hers. obviously people are jealous of the life you've had so far, and i think telling your stories could really give someone a wake up call to kick their life into gear.
    Now i know for sure that my pics are gonna evolve from these:

To these:
    "cancer's bad, Skiing's good" -my english teacher mr. mooney

Quote Originally Posted by Little Big Lost View Post

While descending, I had a small little accident....I kid you not, I fell into an actual factual bear den. 3/4 of the way off this peak while negotiating through some steep, rocky terrain mixed with plenty of deadfall I was surprised as hell when I slipped onto my ass and slid a short distance and then off about a 5 foot drop.....right into a den. The opening to the hole went straight down, and in I went.

Now keep in mind.... no bear in it.....but I did not have the presence of mind right then to realize that! Talk about an old man moving fast! I was out in about one second, adrenaline running to the max in my veins… Yikes!

HooBoy! Well took about five minutes to calm down and assess there was no danger, but oh what a rush!
    Last fall while grouse hunting with my dog I saw her crawl into a big bear den. I immediately called her out of there and then went to check out the den. I figured that with the time of year and since my dog had gone in already there wouldn't be anything in there. As I stood next to the den and bent over to have a look I quickly realized I was nose to snout with a bear. Now I didn't stick my head in the den, but It was still way to close for comfort.

I commanded my dog to vacate the area as I turned and tried to get out of the area. I made sure my dog was out of harms way and then realized it was too thick for me to move fast enough to get out of harms way myself. So I turned around and saw two young bear (about 100 lbs) leave the den and go the opposite way.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Murphey View Post

It's also extremely incredible that your thread held this insanely critical group of people from calling out each other which turns every thread into a "who is the most cunning person with the biggest ego" game.

My honest opinion is that you should start your own blog and i'm sure you could make quite profit off of it as well. My friend's aunt got knocked up and started her own blog and it is insanely successful. Your life story, i believe, is doubly more interesting and insightful as hers. obviously people are jealous of the life you've had so far, and i think telling your stories could really give someone a wake up call to kick their life into gear.
    Now i know for sure that my pics are gonna evolve from these:
    I am also thankful for the complete civility. You won't generally find me in the middle of fights, in "real" life or on the internets. Life is too short, and though I am not terribly old, I am no youngster. Got too many things to do yet before it is too late.......

My story? Interesting, but not epic. There is much more to my story, but really, does anyone here want to be troubled to hear it? Some good, some bad, and some just awful sad. I will leave those parts blank for now.

Motivate? I hope so, only got one chance at this shit.....

Your photos? You will get the hang of it if you do it enough, nighttime photography is tricky, and sometimes you won't get what you want no matter how hard you try.......

I cropped a couple of your shots......try it, it helps!

.....you have years ahead of you to sharpen your skills.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    Last fall while grouse hunting with my dog I saw her crawl into a big bear den. I immediately called her out of there and then went to check out the den. I figured that with the time of year and since my dog had gone in already there wouldn't be anything in there. As I stood next to the den and bent over to have a look I quickly realized I was nose to snout with a bear. Now I didn't stick my head in the den, but It was still way to close for comfort.

I commanded my dog to vacate the area as I turned and tried to get out of the area. I made sure my dog was out of harms way and then realized it was too thick for me to move fast enough to get out of harms way myself. So I turned around and saw two young bear (about 100 lbs) leave the den and go the opposite way.
    How cool is that? Damn cool......

As far as me thinking a bear was in that den? I always thought bears left their den in the spring, and perhaps used it again in the late fall. Never in the summer. Pretty sure, but not 100% sure......
    Last edited by Little Big Lost; 07-24-2008 at 06:45 PM.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Gotta get off this computer......leaving for the Beartooth Pass tomorrow night. Coming back Monday......taking the snowboards. Lots to do before I go, like mow the lawn..........

A couple more shots and then I'm gone for a few days....

Most of you know where these shots are from......

Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Murphey View Post
    You mean like this dude?

Quote Originally Posted by sftc View Post
    We must have missed all of the "technically" perfect shots you've posted up recently, please fill us in....

LBL, I meant no disrespect--I'm hopeful none was taken. I just call 'em as I see 'em. I've thoroughly enjoyed your photos--especially the one sftc apparently thought I was shitting on.

Squirrel Murphey--damn good start. Good luck.
    A fucking show dog with fucking papers

LBL, I meant no disrespect--I'm hopeful none was taken. I just call 'em as I see 'em. I've thoroughly enjoyed your photos--especially the one sftc apparently thought I was shitting on.
    None taken. I am pretty laid back, takes way more than that to get me going, and I appreciate the feedback. None of my shots are perfect, some aren't even close......I know that. I just try to have fun at it! It has been fun......

Got the lawn mowed btw........now..... where are my boots and gear?
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Nice shot of the top of the Sickle Couloir.

Being a not-so-talented aspiring photographer, I've followed this thread trying to pick out some of the things you do right that are "by the book". Granted, there are a lot of shots that work well--both in general and in this thread--that would not be predicted with textbook suggestions, but following those formulae can be helpful. This picture looks to me, technically, perfect. And I love it. Very nice shot!

The exposure is spot on; the contrast of subjects in foreground, midground, and background is delightful; it follows the rule of thirds almost to the T; the repetition of lines in the wheat is very interesting; and the color contrast is marvelous. Time to go try to duplicate...
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Days View Post
    Being a not-so-talented aspiring photographer, I've followed this thread trying to pick out some of the things you do right that are "by the book". Granted, there are a lot of shots that work well--both in general and in this thread--that would not be predicted with textbook suggestions, but following those formulae can be helpful. This picture looks to me, technically, perfect. And I love it. Very nice shot!

The exposure is spot on; the contrast of subjects in foreground, midground, and background is delightful; it follows the rule of thirds almost to the T; the repetition of lines in the wheat is very interesting; and the color contrast is marvelous. Time to go try to duplicate...
    Thanks! Appreciate that!

I have found that my favorite shots are from very early in the mornings. I found myself in Wyoming on New Years Eve....headed up to hike Whiskey Mountain. I left home about 10 pm, drive up through JH and took a few shots of the Grand in the middle of the night.....so so shots.

Drove over Togwotee and slept a few hours on the side of the road. I awoke to this......
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    Nice LBL. I read your story today and it made me feel like I have wasted half my life. I can't imagine the detail you could provide in a real book. Maybe you could put something together with you photos and come up with a unique presentation using your unique perceptions and perspectives. Few of us have had so much perspective and I think that is what makes your photos so rich. Traveling the world at a young age like that, while I am sure it has it's price, must imprint so much on a young mind. Great thread. I'll be checking daily. Got any sweet fishing pictures?
    Traveling? Yes.....22 different schools from 1-12....got beat up a few times, new kid on the block and all......

Fishing? Don't do much anymore, but we go now and again. I got to looking at a few shots from a trip in 2005......Climbed 11967, fished the next day (brookies, and small ones at that) and then on the way home got into a bit of a flash flood......damn good weekend!

Last edited by Little Big Lost; 07-25-2008 at 10:04 AM.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Meet my little friend.....

This evening......

Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge