Page 7 of 82 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    This whole thread is amazing but these last few "shots" - Wow!

Still not able to figure out the last one but I'll keep working on it.

The owl experience must have been something!

Gotta be one of the best threads I've viewed on a forum. Thanks for taking the time to share. Life is good for you. Certainly making memories your kids will remember always and look back on fondly.
    Huck the Joneses.

Quote Originally Posted by sar13 View Post
    Still not able to figure out the last one but I'll keep working on it.
    OK....stand back a bit and squint your eyes......squinting helps for some reason.......
    Old and Getting Older........
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

.....go out and make this season the best season of your life. Ski that line, take that trip, slide that rail, make that leap, live for the moment, and make memories with friends that’ll last a lifetime, because as a great man once said, “If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be one year older when you do.”

-Mike Rogge

I was asked about fishing here in Idaho. I don't really do much anymore. Busy with other things. I do go if one of my boys wants to.

For me though, it isn't the same as it was when I was young. I had the whole river to myself, few regulations, etc......The Snake now is full of drift boats with duded-out occupants, flogging their fly lines up and down the river......... Crossed the Heise bridge over the weekend. Was a day when you would find a fisherman's car or two parked there. Now? So many that they were fighting for a place to park......takes some of the fun out of it.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

.....go out and make this season the best season of your life. Ski that line, take that trip, slide that rail, make that leap, live for the moment, and make memories with friends that’ll last a lifetime, because as a great man once said, “If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be one year older when you do.”

-Mike Rogge

Awesome pics and great thread.
    I need more time
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    what happened to Shadam this year? Usually by now he is posting drinking reports daily.

cant believe I just stumbled across this thread. You have some serious skills. Best thread of the summer by far...

wow, cant believe i missed this one. Thanks for sharing the pics. I am in complete envy of where you live and what you get to do for fun.

Found a few more...

Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Building a fighting force of extra-ordinary magnitude
    I loved that I saw this pic and KNEW that your boy was going to throw a backflip off the rock.

How many of you have poached some pics from this thread to use as a desktop wallpaper? I know I have!

Really beautiful pics in this thread, thanks for the contribution!
    thats new hampshire as fuck

We ain't eager to be legal, so please leave me with the keys to your Jeep Eagle.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Big Lost View Post

I do believe I just found my new background for my computer. Thanks!

My desktop....
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

My desktop....
    no f'ing way ... (not like I don't believe it, more like, 'holy shit, that's incredible!')

mind = blown.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Beautiful stuff

You have quite the eye, and then some.

Thank you for taking the time.

My desktop....
    Photoshop? if not, wow
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

This thread made my day a whole lot better! THANKS!!!!

Made a few trips into the Wyoming Range last year....Deadman Peak was one......

The "Deadman" mine.... story to follow....

Telling dirty jokes.....

Hoback Peak

Getting closer....

Made It!

Superb view!

Looking towards the Gros Ventre

Windy as hell on the way out....
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Lots of good vibes in this thread.

Nice shots Lost!

Summer 2007....

A business associate dropped by my office a few weeks ago. Just one of those "We want to do some more business and how soon can we get something going?" type visits. During the short meeting I got up rather stiffly, and walked over to the copy machine. He commented on my awkward movements and asked if I had been to the gym. I told him I had been climbing, he said "Really?, Where?" I told him I had been on a few short trips into the Wyoming Range, and loved the area. He then startled me by saying that as a very young man he had spent some time there, more specifically, in the Deadman Canyon locale.

As a young man (he is now close to 70) his father would take him up to this area to load coal into their small truck. This was around 1955 and there were several coal mines in operation way up in the high places of this mountainous area. The mine they used the most was called the Blind Bull. To get to it they had to pass the Vail Mine, now known as the Deadman Mine.......

We go back to February 1938. Five miners are wintering over in this remote spot high in the mountains. They are working the mine to stockpile coal to be sold and hauled out the next summer. Carrie Baker, the wife and mother to two of the miners also worked as a cook for all the men.

Carrie was busy making dinner for the men when she heard an explosion. Not unusual for the type of work they were involved in. Not long afterwards Henry Ash stumbled through the door. "There has been a terrible accident, an explosion in the mine" he gasped. Through clenched teeth he told Carrie she would have to use the old set of cross country skis and ski six miles down the canyon to get help.

The Young family had homesteaded an area on the Grays River in the 1920's. Sam, his wife and two sons were asleep in their small cabin. Sam awoke to the sound of his dog barking. He leaned up on an elbow to listen closer. He could hear the sound of another dog barking. He arose, dressed and went outside into the frigid air and followed the sound of the barking dog and soon saw it. He knew the dog came from the mines up the canyon. The dog lead him to a shape laying on the ground. It was Carrie, exhausted and crying. She had given up. Sam brought her down to the cabin, warmed her up and she was then able to tell what had happened.

Sam and his son Rex donned winter gear and skied the six long miles up to the mine that night. They found Henry Ash in the cabin, dead. The four other miners they found in the mineshaft, also dead.

It was determined that coal dust in the shaft from previous blasts had ignited when they set off the last blast of the day. It blew two mine cars clear across the canyon. The four miners inside the mine, John and Bill Baker, Denver Holbrook, and Rulon Ivie were killed instantly. Henry ash was outside the mine died from his injuries when the tipple collapsed on him.

The Lincoln County highway crews, assisted by Civilian Conservation Corps workers, cleared seven feet of snow from 30 miles of the Greys River road and the six miles of access road up to the mine. Four of the bodies were sent home to North Carolina. Rulon Ivie was buried in Utah. Carrie Baker recovered and returned to the East, grateful to the Young family and her shaggy black dog that she had not perished as well.

I accidentally found out about (through the Ranger Station in Afton Wyoming) and tracked down the Grandson of Sam Young. To my great surprise, I learned that he lived only a couple miles from me. I called him up and talked at length about this area and it's history.

The Mine, Canyon and the Mountain are now known by the name "Deadman". Deadman Mountain was used for a fire lookout from the 1930's to the late 60's. It still sits atop this remote peak. It is no wonder it was put here, the surrounding views are outstanding. The Salt River Range, the entire length of the Wind River Range, along with the Tetons and parts of the Gros Ventre can be seen, not to mention the surrounding mountains like Hoback and McDougal.

Well worth the effort to get there!

Last edited by Little Big Lost; 07-20-2008 at 01:36 PM.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Summer 2007 cont.....

Headed up to Gilmore Ghost town and having fun on the way......

We were going to climb Gilmore Peak, but the boys decided that it was too much work, and wanted to spend the day in the water of Meadow Lake...

I went up the next weekend and climbed this one by myself..the boys had to work....

Friday evening I slept in the car....nice sunset

The stars were out....

The next morning dawned clear and cool...

Skies were a bit smokey on the west and north sides....

Looking towards the Lost River Range.... Borah just right of center....

Near the top.....

Great day, did leave part of my ass on some sharp rocks on the way down though ......
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

A simply stunning thread. Thank you, Little Big Lost.

I am looking forward to more, when you get the chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by bptempleton View Post
    tit ass balls. that's a better sig. or fucktardnutz. YOU MUST NOW CHOOSE!!!!

Golden Mantled Ground Squirrels

Bighorns on Whiskey Mountain WY

Mating Season......

Yellowstone Bighorns....strutting.......

Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

your supply of goods is neverending!
    "I have never exploded. But I know what it would be like. Don't ask me how. I just know. I've always just known." -Garth Merenghi

Nucking Futters!

Superb view!
    I like this photo a lot, even though it could probably be tightened up technically.

Having a tough time visualizing the aspect of this... Hoback Peak is just west of Bondurant, no? Wouldn't the view from there be looking straight up the spine of the Tetons, and not highly oblique as this photo appears to be?
    A fucking show dog with fucking papers

Quote Originally Posted by Natedogg View Post
    I like this photo a lot, even though it could probably be tightened up technically.

Having a tough time visualizing the aspect of this... Hoback Peak is just west of Bondurant, no? Wouldn't the view from there be looking straight up the spine of the Tetons, and not highly oblique as this photo appears to be?
    Yes, you are right....not the best shot. The day was a bit smoky and I had to zoom in a bit and adjust the contrast to give a better idea of the actual view was like. (It is also a bit foreshortened). But I thought it was kinda cool, odd view point and all - from the top of Deadman Peak.

Have a look at a map, the Grand is 50 miles north and at 352 degrees. Deadman is almost straight south.....weird huh.

I am 100% sure that this is where the shot was taken from, though it looks unpossible doesn't it?
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge