Page 74 of 82 FirstFirst ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 2037
    Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    I'm sorry...
    I'm not sure what part of this you are seeing ( maybe all of it ) -

There was an essay almost fifteen years ago, that I think the final sentence was,

' I took my ski boots - the fire can have the rest. '

I got my ski boots, too.
    And 'Blue' - I would not have left a fire without my companion.

I am sorry you are witnessing that, my friend.

Please, be Safe. tj
    Here's the deal... we are on structure protection. Trying to save homes. Our primary mission on this fire so far. There shouldn't be people at home here. There are though. 'Don't get out of your buggy, we aint going nowhere.' they say... Can't force them to evacuate. But they do, only after telling us that we can't tell them what to do. But they do. They almost always do....but they wait. They wait till the flames are topping the ridge, the roar deafening. They wait till they are in the way, till when we are sending in men and equipment...... till...well... you get the picture
    Old and Getting Older........
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

.....go out and make this season the best season of your life. Ski that line, take that trip, slide that rail, make that leap, live for the moment, and make memories with friends that’ll last a lifetime, because as a great man once said, “If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be one year older when you do.”

-Mike Rogge

LBL I said this a million times when you fight fire around homes and you see your 1st house burn you will stay 5 min to long trying to save the house. Then the next house you see burn you will leave 10 early because you know the house is fucked.
    Stay safe LCES what I am hearing is off the charts for fire behavior.

This is the new norm and I am scared.

Quote Originally Posted by telehacker View Post
    LBL I said this a million times when you fight fire around homes and you see your 1st house burn you will stay 5 min to long trying to save the house. Then the next house you see burn you will leave 10 early because you know the house is fucked.
    Stay safe LCES what I am hearing is off the charts for fire behavior.

This is the new norm and I am scared.
    It is way earlier this year. Some models are showing that this fire could hit a million acres. We are approaching 300,000 acres now and it's headed for Colorado.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR3934_1652231071856_2.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	416324
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

.....go out and make this season the best season of your life. Ski that line, take that trip, slide that rail, make that leap, live for the moment, and make memories with friends that’ll last a lifetime, because as a great man once said, “If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be one year older when you do.”

-Mike Rogge

Jesus, i just remembered an old friend of mine built his retirement home up in the mountains west of Los Alamos somewhere. Don’t know if it is in the fire area or not. Need to track him down.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Big Lost View Post
    Here's the deal... we are on structure protection. Trying to save homes. Our primary mission on this fire so far. There shouldn't be people at home here. There are though. 'Don't get out of your buggy, we aint going nowhere.' they say... Can't force them to evacuate. But they do, only after telling us that we can't tell them what to do. But they do. They almost always do....but they wait. They wait till the flames are topping the ridge, the roar deafening. They wait till they are in the way, till when we are sending in men and equipment...... till...well... you get the picture
    Reminds me of a joke my dad told me as a child.

Summarized:
    flood coming.
    Jewish rabbi, Christian priest, Islamic immam, Buddhist bhikku.

Flood warning. Bhikkku leaves.

Rowboat comes. Immman leaves.

Helicopter comes rabbi leaves.

Christian priest says "God will save me" Christian priest drowns and dies. In heaven he asks God why God didn't save him. God says, " I sent you a flood warning, a rowboat, and a helicopter!"

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

The donkeys appreciated my company, unlike those uppity horses. #CalfCanyonFire #newmexico #fire #firefighting

Name:	20220514_163732.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	416423
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Quote Originally Posted by Little Big Lost View Post
    The donkeys appreciated my company, unlike those uppity horses. #CalfCanyonFire #newmexico #fire #firefighting

Name:	20220514_163732.jpg 
Views:	73 
ID:	416423
    This the greatest photo I have seen in a long time! It should be a top sheet for Moment!
    More cowbell!!!

Name:	GH014081_1652757736425_2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	416633

My dipper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GH014081_1652757700258.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	416634  
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Beautiful country. Very high here at around 8000ft base and big peaks (+13,000ft) to the west. Had a headache for a week, altitude sickness. Moving camp again. Glad it's not Camp Afghanistan that's along I-25 north of Las Vegas NM. Headed to Angelfire. We'll see how this goes. It's been a wild one so far. So many photos. So little time.

Name:	Screenshot_20220516-212452_GoPro Quik.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	566.0 KB 
ID:	416743
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Quote Originally Posted by spudbumkin View Post
    This the greatest photo I have seen in a long time! It should be a top sheet for Moment!
    I may edit out the pickup and truck and then frame it. Hang it on my wall. 😁
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Name:	20220518_153905.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	568.3 KB 
ID:	416787

Day 22....
    This is my life now...I guess...
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

It is another day of fire and smoke. I get to see things. Some good. Some bad.

This photo represents both. Tranquil scene of horses....and distant fire and smoke. Our dozer staying on the mountain for a third night. Shutting fuel and supplies up with buggies.

#CalfCanyonFire #newmexico #firefighting #wildfires #horses #rockwall

Name:	20220518_165320.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	416795
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

The buggy...

Name:	20220518_174028.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	622.9 KB 
ID:	416797
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Spent my day watching this...

Name:	Screenshot_20220521-160231_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	551.9 KB 
ID:	417090
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Cold, hot, dirty and windy. Loving every minute of it. Day 26.

Name:	20220522_120344.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	525.8 KB 
ID:	417185
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Be careful, and be well.

Quote Originally Posted by new yabyum View Post
    Be careful, and be well.
    +1. skiJ

Quote Originally Posted by new yabyum View Post
    Be careful, and be well.
    Will do. Things are beginning to wind down a bit. Cooler and humidity levels are up. It helps a bunch. If the wind died, this fire would go out.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Name:	20220521_174647.jpg 
Size:	416.3 KB 
ID:	417266

Name:	20220522_184158.jpg 
Size:	431.3 KB 
ID:	417267

Still work to do...
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Snowed on the tents last night.

Name:	20220524_073302.jpg 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	417311
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Out a month today. Couple of standby days as we transition into rehab. Feet got extra special treatment/attention this morning. Ahhhhh.......
    Last edited by Little Big Lost; 05-26-2022 at 02:35 PM.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Your thread delivers. Great pictures. Catching some essence of new Mexico here

No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Your thread delivers. Great pictures. Catching some essence of new Mexico here

Thanks! It's been a wild one, thought we'd get a short break, but we've been called around to the SW side. Shit is still on fire on the west side.

Name:	20220526_173305.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	873.1 KB 
ID:	417484
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Palm tree lollypops

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 12.20.44 PM.png
Views: 436
Size:  739.1 KB

Called back to the east side of the fire, we started restoration today. West side of fire slowly going out. Is burning in extremely rugged country.

Pecos side.

Name:	20220603_100601.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	417999

Name:	Screenshot_20220528-191302_Gallery.jpg 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	418000

Blue dot is me.

Name:	20220528_192802.jpg 
Size:	709.0 KB 
ID:	418001

Name:	Screenshot_20220527-154850_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	881.6 KB 
ID:	418002

Name:	Screenshot_20220527-200837_Gallery.jpg 
Size:	904.4 KB 
ID:	418003

Name:	20220528_191817.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	886.0 KB 
ID:	418004

Could be here another month.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220528_192839.jpg 
Views:	48 
ID:	417998  
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge