Page 6 of 82 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    I love the way this thread keeps evolving!

Africa? Wow.

If its not too personal, what do you do for a living out there in Idaho? Was also wondering if I could post a few pics on my groms in here.
    so many mountains...so little time

www.splitboard.com

Quote Originally Posted by bcrider View Post
    I love the way this thread keeps evolving!

Africa? Wow.

If its not too personal, what do you do for a living out there in Idaho? Was also wondering if I could post a few pics on my groms in here.
    You bet! Go for it.

My story? Stop me before it gets too boring......

I have been putting together a written history of my life, before I get senile and forget everything. Everyone should do this.

Just bits an' pieces....

I was born in Idaho Falls. 1955. Seems a long time ago now. Earliest memories were of traveling. A lot.

Early 60’s - Salt Lake City Utah, Des Moines Iowa, Birmingham Alabama, Farmington New Mexico, Truckee and Bakersfield California. There are more places but my memory has been blurred from all the years gone by.

Next, father took a job with MK and the Minutemen Missile silos on the plains east of Rapid City. Father divorced Mother at this time. She stayed in SD and he took a position in the Netherlands. I am shuffled back and forth, Dad, Mom, Dad, Mom…..I cross the Atlantic more times than I can remember, a seasoned traveler at an early age. Holland……I remember listening to Radio Veronica, Bus Stop by the Hollies in particular, playing while the construction workers played soccer in the street below our apartment at noon.

Mother can no longer afford, or just doesn’t want to take care of me after a while, so I spend time with Grandparents in Idaho instead.

I attend school in the Netherlands, and spend my summers in Idaho with grandpa and grandma. Strict schooling for most of the year and then almost total freedom for 3 months. In Holland I was viewed as the heathen from the Wild West, in Idaho I was the flatlander who was way too cultured.

Holland was green. It was, for lack of a better word, tidy. Small, well kept lawns. Fences painted. People had manners. You were required to use them.

Father married a Dutch girl, Wilhemina Relena Pietersma. Blond. We lived in den Hague, Staaphorst, Meppel, Assen and then Ommen.

Two week in Spain. Beaches. Hot sand. Gibraltar. I saw Africa from there. The road to Rhonda…..amazing!

London, all the time. Belgium… Ardennes and the site(s) of the Battle of the Bulge. Amsterdam now and again.

My times in Idaho were days made in heaven. Splitting wood, bucking hay, moving sprinkler pipe. It was not all work, there were days of exploration. Days of adventure. Built a tree house out over the Snake River. Climbed every hill within five miles of home, Rode bikes down the steepest of paved roads, on the handlebars. Forded the Snake. Fished every evening. Picnics. Target practice with the bow. BB Gun wars. Learned about gun safety the hard way. Learned to swim. Like a fish.

It was a mile to the small store. I would walk it looking for pop bottles. Always found enough to trade in and buy a soda and a candy bar, and still have change.

Back to Ommen for a school year and then and then the summer in Idaho again. Moved to Bangkok. Not in Kansas anymore……Laos, Malaysia, Singapore. A two year adventure. The war was still raging in Vietnam. Klongs and open markets. Sukhumvit Highway. Pattaya before it became notorious. Snakes and lizards….. everywhere.

Flew back to Holland, brief stops in Karachi, Beirut, Rome.

Holland for a couple more years. Had a good friend who was a diplomat’s son. We traveled to Germany many, many times to stay at his parents place. Train ride there and back, an adventure all its own. Backpacked from Bonn to Trier. Spent 2 weeks in Norway with my father. The trip through Denmark fascinating. The coast around Hirtshals seemed remote and smelled of fish. Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin landed on the moon while we were on the ferry across the Skagerrak. Watched McKennas Gold in a theatre in Kristiandsand.

Back home in Holland for a couple of years and then home to Idaho. A trip around the world that took years. All this before my 17th birthday.

Then several years of odd jobs and good times in Idaho. Backpacked and hiked most of the state. Floated the rivers before it became commercial. Hitchhiked to Seattle, found a construction job and worked all over the state. Good Times!

Traveled to Texas and roofed houses for a while. Hot, and though I could handle it, I missed the mountains. Decided Texas wasn’t for me.

Back to Idaho for a short while.

Got a job offer in Johannesburg. Off on another adventure. Met my future wife the first day I was there. The four years I lived in SA were the best years of my life. We both made good money. Lived modestly. And traveled. Got out into the bundu. Met real Africans. Climbed several times in the Drakensberg. Sani Pass. Tugela Falls, the 2nd highest on the planet. We spent weeks on the wild coast. Eastern Transvaal,,,,what a place. Sudwalla Caves. Lisbon Falls and countless others . Threw 100’s of pounds of candy to the native children. Bought their crude works of art, still my most precious mementos of my years there.

Brought my bride home to Idaho. She cried for a week. “What have I done?” she thought to herself. It cost 5 cents a second for her to call home at the time. And she did….$$$$$.

She fits right in now. Became a US citizen. She travels home every two years, and we allow one of the children to go along each time. Eight week vacation for her and one of the kids. I mostly stay home, and that’s OK. Got my climbing and snowboarding to occupy my time.

When the kids are grown and on their own… well who knows? The whole world is out there…….South America perhaps……or India, always wanted to travel India.

Now this boring tale doesn't include my drug smuggling and life of crime, I will leave that for those to read...... after I am dead!
    Old and Getting Older........
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

.....go out and make this season the best season of your life. Ski that line, take that trip, slide that rail, make that leap, live for the moment, and make memories with friends that’ll last a lifetime, because as a great man once said, “If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be one year older when you do.”

-Mike Rogge

Quote Originally Posted by Little Big Lost View Post
    You bet! Go for it.

My story? Stop me before it gets too boring......

I have been putting together a written history of my life, before I get senile and forget everything. Everyone should do this.

Just bits an' pieces....

I was born in Idaho Falls. 1955. Seems a long time ago now. Earliest memories were of traveling. A lot.

Early 60’s - Salt Lake City Utah, Des Moines Iowa, Birmingham Alabama, Farmington New Mexico, Truckee and Bakersfield California. There are more places but my memory has been blurred from all the years gone by.

Next, father took a job with MK and the Minutemen Missile silos on the plains east of Rapid City. Father divorced Mother at this time. She stayed in SD and he took a position in the Netherlands. I am shuffled back and forth, Dad, Mom, Dad, Mom…..I cross the Atlantic more times than I can remember, a seasoned traveler at an early age. Holland……I remember listening to Radio Veronica, Bus Stop by the Hollies in particular, playing while the construction workers played soccer in the street below our apartment at noon.

Mother can no longer afford, or just doesn’t want to take care of me after a while, so I spend time with Grandparents in Idaho instead.

I attend school in the Netherlands, and spend my summers in Idaho with grandpa and grandma. Strict schooling for most of the year and then almost total freedom for 3 months. In Holland I was viewed as the heathen from the Wild West, in Idaho I was the flatlander who was way too cultured.

Holland was green. It was, for lack of a better word, tidy. Small, well kept lawns. Fences painted. People had manners. You were required to use them.

Father married a Dutch girl, Wilhemina Relena Pietersma. Blond. We lived in den Hague, Staaphorst, Meppel, Assen and then Ommen.

Two week in Spain. Beaches. Hot sand. Gibraltar. I saw Africa from there. The road to Rhonda…..amazing!

London, all the time. Belgium… Ardennes and the site(s) of the Battle of the Bulge. Amsterdam now and again.

My times in Idaho were days made in heaven. Splitting wood, bucking hay, moving sprinkler pipe. It was not all work, there were days of exploration. Days of adventure. Built a tree house out over the Snake River. Climbed every hill within five miles of home, Rode bikes down the steepest of paved roads, on the handlebars. Forded the Snake. Fished every evening. Picnics. Target practice with the bow. BB Gun wars. Learned about gun safety the hard way. Learned to swim. Like a fish.

It was a mile to the small store. I would walk it looking for pop bottles. Always found enough to trade in and buy a soda and a candy bar, and still have change.

Back to Ommen for a school year and then and then the summer in Idaho again. Moved to Bangkok. Not in Kansas anymore……Laos, Malaysia, Singapore. A two year adventure. The war was still raging in Vietnam. Klongs and open markets. Sukhumvit Highway. Pattaya before it became notorious. Snakes and lizards….. everywhere.

Flew back to Holland, brief stops in Karachi, Beirut, Rome.

Holland for a couple more years. Had a good friend who was a diplomat’s son. We traveled to Germany many, many times to stay at his parents place. Train ride there and back, an adventure all its own. Backpacked from Bonn to Trier. Spent 2 weeks in Norway with my father. The trip through Denmark fascinating. The coast around Hirtshals seemed remote and smelled of fish. Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin landed on the moon while we were on the ferry across the Skagerrak. Watched McKennas Gold in a theatre in Kristiandsand.

Back home in Holland for a couple of years and then home to Idaho. A trip around the world that took years. All this before my 17th birthday.

Then several years of odd jobs and good times in Idaho. Backpacked and hiked most of the state. Floated the rivers before it became commercial. Hitchhiked to Seattle, found a construction job and worked all over the state. Good Times!

Traveled to Texas and roofed houses for a while. Hot, and though I could handle it, I missed the mountains. Decided Texas wasn’t for me.

Back to Idaho for a short while.

Got a job offer in Johannesburg. Off on another adventure. Met my future wife the first day I was there. The four years I lived in SA were the best years of my life. We both made good money. Lived modestly. And traveled. Got out into the bundu. Met real Africans. Climbed several times in the Drakensberg. Sani Pass. Tugela Falls, the 2nd highest on the planet. We spent weeks on the wild coast. Eastern Transvaal,,,,what a place. Sudwalla Caves. Lisbon Falls and countless others . Threw 100’s of pounds of candy to the native children. Bought their crude works of art, still my most precious mementos of my years there.

Brought my bride home to Idaho. She cried for a week. “What have I done?” she thought to herself. It cost 5 cents a second for her to call home at the time. And she did….$$$$$.

She fits right in now. Became a US citizen. She travels home every two years, and we allow one of the children to go along each time. Eight week vacation for her and one of the kids. I mostly stay home, and that’s OK. Got my climbing and snowboarding to occupy my time.

When the kids are grown and on their own… well who knows? The whole world is out there…….South America perhaps……or India, always wanted to travel India.

Now this boring tale doesn't include my drug smuggling and life of crime, I will leave that for those to read...... after I am dead!
    Props.
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

sooooo many great photos!!fkna!! i would probally buy at least a dozen of these if i had any cash flow, keep up the good work man!! one more fkna

absolute fav. I love this one!

Thank you for sharing pictures and your story. Amazing. Inspiring. Good to know there are people out there who are living.

Dang, just found this thread, and now I'm going to be late!!!! Well worth it though, and I'll definitely re-read!!! Awesome photos, amazing life, great kids . . . and, you're funny too!!!

Just found this thread and am truly stunned. You are very talented. Thank you for sharing.
    Artist formerly known as yogachik.
    become a fan

Quote Originally Posted by whitesmoke View Post
    Thank you for sharing pictures and your story. Amazing. Inspiring. Good to know there are people out there who are living.
    We get one chance, don't we? May as well make most of it. I have had a bit of an unusual life. But there have been terrible sad things also. I won't go into that though. Upside is I know how to love. Life. Friends, and most of all, family. I get to feeling guilty on occasion, all the things I have. Not talking about material possessions.

Not everyone is so lucky and I am keenly aware of that. I try to spread some happiness around.

I can thank my grandfather for teaching me these sorts of things. He grew up poor, lived through the depression, and still was one of the happiest people I ever met.

I was more like his youngest son, instead of this eldest grandson. When he died, he left me his home. Nothing fancy, but paid for. That is how I can do the things I love .... no house payment!

Anyway, something a little less serious....

I went to a boarding school for a while in Holland....Eerde, an old castle outside of Ommen. Good times!

Me..the original Emo.....

Class shot+- 1971, I am above the guy who is using the finger....
    Of interest, the girl on the far right, to the right of the guy with the black jacket and white shirt, is Nancy Toon, daughter to Malcolm Toon. He was the US ambassador to Czechoslovakia 1969–1971, Yugoslavia 1971-1975, Israel 1975-1976, the Soviet Union 1976-1979.

Last edited by Little Big Lost; 07-12-2008 at 05:23 PM.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

.....go out and make this season the best season of your life. Ski that line, take that trip, slide that rail, make that leap, live for the moment, and make memories with friends that’ll last a lifetime, because as a great man once said, “If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be one year older when you do.”

-Mike Rogge

Yesterday......fell asleep on the couch at around noon, haven't been getting enough sleep apparently. Woke at 3PM. Shit. Wasted day.

I thought I may as well go for a ride on my new scooter, yes, scooter.

Threw a lunch in my pack and out the door I went. Ended up putting 258 miles on. Goosewing Creek and back, with a side trip up Crystal Creek.

Frikin' no coat and tinted goggles.....(got home at 11pm)

Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Ok amazing pics...but I gotta ask...what kinda scooter is that?

Sorry to stray so fast but I have never seen a scooter with two wheels in the front.

Sweet pics btw...dang the ones with the sun just peeking though the mountains...WOW!!! Keep it up and thanks for sharing!!!

Nice, way to drop the finger in your class photo

keep the photos coming!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

this thread was just the pick me up I needed, thanks and sweet photos.

Where did you take those bottom 3 pictures of the Tetons from? I notice in the top one, there appears to be a ridgeline with little trees on the right border. Were you up on Togwotee, or up the Gros Ventre river? Really interesting perspective. The best one, in my opinion, is the middle one, where you caught the sun perfectly in that notch between the middle and the south (?). If that is the south teton, it looks small, which is what brought me to the question about where that picture was taken from.
    Great pics, once again. Are those red hills up near the Gros Ventre river, or am I way off?

Quote Originally Posted by jarlybart View Post
    Ok amazing pics...but I gotta ask...what kinda scooter is that?

Sorry to stray so fast but I have never seen a scooter with two wheels in the front.

Sweet pics btw...dang the ones with the sun just peeking though the mountains...WOW!!! Keep it up and thanks for sharing!!!

Piaggio....this unit was given to me as a gift......
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piaggio_MP3
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Quote Originally Posted by skiski View Post
    Where did you take those bottom 3 pictures of the Tetons from? I notice in the top one, there appears to be a ridgeline with little trees on the right border. Were you up on Togwotee, or up the Gros Ventre river? Really interesting perspective. The best one, in my opinion, is the middle one, where you caught the sun perfectly in that notch between the middle and the south (?). If that is the south teton, it looks small, which is what brought me to the question about where that picture was taken from.
    Great pics, once again. Are those red hills up near the Gros Ventre river, or am I way off?
    No, you are dead on. Gros Ventre.....

I hadn't been up there in many a year. As a youngster, my uncle would take me up there for a week every summer to fish and dink around. I remember hunting fossils up on the Goosewing, before it became a wilderness area.....
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

I have to say I've been checking out this TR just about every day at work to see if more pics are up...nice goin littlebig!

I know them hills real well--I'm jealous you can 'just' ride up there. Some really nice, sharp photos in here. Nice work.

Last edited by Natedogg; 07-14-2008 at 02:27 PM.
    A fucking show dog with fucking papers

Sunset tonight....hope you didn't miss it!

Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

I want to full-throttle sprint down that thing!

This thread rules. Thank you for reminding me of what I'm working towards.

Wow!

Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Now for something different......

Stand back from your computer about 20 feet if you can....can you see it?
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

^^^^Wow. Do you have a software program that does that?

Quote Originally Posted by FrontRangeDrummer View Post
    ^^^^Wow. Do you have a software program that does that?
    Yes. I would really be an artist if I could put that together by hand. ;-)
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge