Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mt cowen2.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	334931

Quote Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
    LBL -is that a griff dog?
    couple of pics
    That is Jesse, she is part something and part something else. Not sure, but she's a sweetheart.

Nice shots! Beartooth?
    Last edited by Little Big Lost; 07-17-2020 at 07:37 PM.
    Old and Getting Older........
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

.....go out and make this season the best season of your life. Ski that line, take that trip, slide that rail, make that leap, live for the moment, and make memories with friends that’ll last a lifetime, because as a great man once said, “If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be one year older when you do.”

-Mike Rogge

Quote Originally Posted by 2bjenny View Post
    I've noticed, even in my little remote neck of the woods, that things are getting more and more crowded. In the forest up here, it's packed with campers parked where locals have never seen campers before because it's so crowded. I've gotten to the point where I just stay home on the weekends to avoid the hordes and go out with the dogs to hike around on week nights. As soon as the A2 road gets paved between Kilgore and the Island Park, I can see a lot of that land being sold for vacation homes. It's a beautiful area.

And, the wind has started to blow. Hot and windy, something will burn today.

Looking to forward to meeting up with some more folks next ski season!
    Covid is part of the reason, but only because people don't want to chance it somewhere else, so they chance it here at home, but it's been getting worse even before all this shit took place. The trailers are hardly 6 feet apart at Heise and environs. They call that camping.

Some of it will let up eventually but it will stay a steady increase, year after year. Thank goodness for winter, keeps most of the kooks away...

That area to the west of IP is beautiful, the only thing that will save it from being totally overrun is how dry it is, little water out that way. The IP Reservoir already a huge draw for both locals and tourists. Certainly within easy striking distance from the west.

I also take weekdays for my adventures. Retirement suits me fine. KC is just a hobby.

Summer sucks. I'm ready for winter.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

.....go out and make this season the best season of your life. Ski that line, take that trip, slide that rail, make that leap, live for the moment, and make memories with friends that’ll last a lifetime, because as a great man once said, “If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be one year older when you do.”

-Mike Rogge

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Was the good guy Wes? That dude don't put up with any shit, but really cool about just about anything else.
    Wes has not worked KC for the last few years. I never knew him.

As I said though, not naming him. He wants no fuss.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Took a drive up 20 to IP and back down the scenic byway today - first time up there for me. Beautiful is an understatement.

I was however blown away by the amount of people out and about in the middle of the day. Maybe they bugged out early from work. I sat at the boat ramp at the top of BC for maybe 20 minutes and watched 5 trailers loaded with kayaks, paddle boards, and rafts launch. No one was fishing. Geez, hope it’s not always like that?!

In other sad news there was a bad wreck on 20 today, medevac was just touching down as I was passing through. Read that 3 teens were ejected from the vehicle and all passed, a fourth is in serious/critical condition. Might be worth a prayer if you’re into that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Took a drive up 20 to IP and back down the scenic byway today - first time up there for me. Beautiful is an understatement.

I was however blown away by the amount of people out and about in the middle of the day. Maybe they bugged out early from work. I sat at the boat ramp at the top of BC for maybe 20 minutes and watched 5 trailers loaded with kayaks, paddle boards, and rafts launch. No one was fishing. Geez, hope it’s not always like that?!

In other sad news there was a bad wreck on 20 today, medevac was just touching down as I was passing through. Read that 3 teens were ejected from the vehicle and all passed, a fourth is in serious/critical condition. Might be worth a prayer if you’re into that sort of thing.
    Working all day at the hill.... I will get back to you later today, or tomorrow.

Last evening...
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Yeah, HWY 20 can be bad with all the out of staters, people getting impatient, trying to pass. etc. IP is beautiful and stays busy in the summer. It’s a big camping and ATVing destination. Things slow down in the winter, but is a big snow machining destination. I think they’ve started grooming trails in the winter too for biking. I live on the other side, closer to I15 for my work. There’s some good hiking in the area, but make sure you have bear spray, maybe even two cans.

Where you able to find a place to rent or buy?

I ran down to IF this morning for groceries. So many rentals with UT plates and I can’t get over how many new sprinter vans I am seeing these days. The pups and I may take a little hike this evening to a nice spot just to get out before it heats up again. It’s usually about 10 degrees cooler than down low on the sage brush steppe.

Name:  CF358BA4-FFEC-4914-8EB3-566DCF249CC0.jpeg
Views: 969
Size:  140.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Little Big Lost View Post
    Working all day at the hill.... I will get back to you later today, or tomorrow.

Last evening...
    I never get tired of the sunsets here! The other night I was out in the yard looking at the comet and there was a distant thunderstorm. There must have been just enough smoke in the air that the flashes of lightening were amazing shades of pink and orange.

Island Park is beautiful, no doubt. You need to go check out all the sights, Mesa Falls, Warm River, Big Springs IP Reservoir, Henrys Lake and more. All well worth the visit. But like 2bjenny says, it can be crowded. REAL crowded. And Grizzly Bears. I stay way from the area because of both the people and the bears. I love nature, but fuck the bears. I know they need a place too. It's all theirs. They can have IP. I will stay away.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Don't take the bear comment too serious, I love bears, and yet...... I hate bears. Lets just say I give them a very wide berth. Very. Wide.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Another day, another death on Hwy 20 north of Ashton. Seems to be a daily occurrence.

I drove to Swan Valley again yesterday to continue a little plumbing job for my daughter. Left early morning, light traffic. Finished the repairs 10 ish. Stayed till 8 pm just to avoid the mass Sunday exodus back to IF and environs. Still pushed down the road by those who are in a huge hurry. Me doing 70ish in a 65. Still way to slow for them. It's sad.

On another note, Saturday was fairly busy at the hill, and most patrons happy and excited to be there. But, there is always that one person. He was parked in a no parking zone, and it is no parking there for a reason. Main road through the property. That section is private property, the county having an easement through for the public. But it is right by the bottom of lift 4, the one we use for bikes.

I was at the bottom of 4 to go take a ride and observed him park there and begin to unload his bike. He is going to ride the lift. Season Pass holder. I ask the liftie if he wants me to go have a word with him. He said no, I can do it. I said to him before he walked over to the guy, 'be nice!' Well it didn't go well, the man pointing to the side of the road, up the hill, at us over by the bottom of the lift. I can see him shaking his head no, several times. The liftie looks at me and shrugs his shoulders. So..... I walk over and ask if there is a problem. He tried to bully me too. Asking for the names of the property owners, where is it posted that you can't park in that spot, that his truck was completely off the road (it wasn't), blah, blah blah. "I'm a season pass holder!!" he shouts at me. I then said "Well then, you can go down and park with the rest of the season pass holders in the parking lot or we will call the county and have your truck towed." He did not like what he heard, but decided to move his outfit to the parking lot. He laid on the horn as he pulled away. I shrugged and then went back to getting on the lift. Took a nice run and returned to the ticket office.

He had stopped at the ticket office and chewed on the gal who was working the window. I was afraid he might have done that when I boarded the lift.

We forget about him...till he comes back down after one run. He rides past me and starts to load his bike up. I just sit there and watch him, didn't want him chewing on the ticket office gal again. He can't keep his mouth shut and he starts in on the same shit. "Who are the owners!!" he yells at me. I said I wasn't going to give out that information. He then yells out "THIS PLACE SUCKS!"

Well I'd had enough, we didn't ask anything unreasonable or inappropriate. I said "Well let me refund you your season pass then, we really don't want you up here again." He was shocked but even if he refused to accept the refund I told him I wasn't going to let him back on the lift again that season. Take it or leave it.

He took it without another word and left. He was surprised that he couldn't bully me, I could tell that he went through life like that, pushing his way through those kind of situations by being an asshole.

I have his photo (his cancelled pass) up by the til in case he decides to come back up and try to pay for a day pass. Ain't doing it.

I have full support from upper management.
    Last edited by Little Big Lost; 07-20-2020 at 01:25 PM.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

The weekend at the hill was great. Thursday was cut short - hail and lightning. Fri and Sat hot and dry. Not one complaint.

Saturday afternoons are kinda slow, the bulk of riders liking the 9:30 to 1:30 slot. By 3 it mellows out.

This bluebird and mate have a nest right by my office. I can hear little cheeps when food is delivered. Pretty cool.

Bluebird of happiness.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Then there was the Red-tail of not so much happiness.

Watched the dive, capture and consumption. About 60 seconds from beginning to end.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Starting to think about the upcoming winter season, and what it might bring.... my mind running all kinds of scenarios through my head.

My hope here at KC is to force everyone to pay for tickets online. Everyone. That would speed things up tremendously and is a good idea even without all this shit going on. We wouldn't have to touch a thing.

Open on Sunday. It's a no brainer but it is the way it's been for years now. Spread the weekend crowd out a bit.

The lodge and lifts? Lifts seem to be the least of the worries, or the hill. The lodge? F if I know. I have never been one to hangout in one, so I can't say. Kitchen is a money maker though.

I hope it works out.....

A few shots to ease my mind...

Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

More.....

Have not been to Targee for a while. I need to go.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Spent Thursday afternoon riding..... and Friday afternoon, bump that shit up to an 8. Getting more funner.

Probably covered 50 miles in the two afternoons. Was told I have the coolest job ever. I agree.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

more....

Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Spending a lot of time in the saddle, getting better and have started carving on the bike, never knew that was even possible. Dang. Currently rating it a 9 out of 10.

The hill was closed last week. Issues with the lift. Should be good for the coming week though.

Tate and I went up anyway, peddled to the top and spent the afternoons and evenings up there riding single track and having an absolute blast. Music helps, each of us wearing one ear bud and Tate has a playlist that rocks and seems to somehow make me a better rider. Hard to explain, but it works.

Smoky....

Making adjustments...

Breaktime.

Went up to Salmon to have a look at another property. Riverfront on the Salmon west of North Fork. Has potential.

Charlie in the river...

Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Air Quality Alerts for days.....Smoky, but hasn't seemed to be an issue for Tate and I, the bottom photo wasn't a particularly clear day.....Aug 4. The top one from last Friday afternoon.

Killer sunsets tho...

Some news from the hill.....KC to open on Sundays.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Just got called out to go fight fires in N. California...here we go! Leaving in a couple of hours.....
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Quote Originally Posted by Little Big Lost View Post
    Just got called out to go fight fires in N. California...here we go! Leaving in a couple of hours.....
    KC open on Sundays? Neve thought I'd see the day. LBL, You be careful with fire business, that and Covid are nothing to take lightly. Be Well.

Quote Originally Posted by new yabyum View Post
    KC open on Sundays? Neve thought I'd see the day. LBL, You be careful with fire business, that and Covid are nothing to take lightly. Be Well.
    Figured out how to login from my phone...forgot password.

Thanks for the concern, will try to keep safe. 20 days into it and no end in sight.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Name:	20200911_193558.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	477.5 KB 
ID:	340062

Shit's on fire. Near Hull Mountain California.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

It’s been the Fire season of all seasons so far with no end in sight.. I’ve also gotten some great pics. Here’s a few.

Name:	50796E3C-4B4E-4C37-BBE3-8616E3D9908F.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	337.4 KB 
ID:	340097
    View from my station a few weeks ago. Loyalton fire heading are way.

Name:	D7B459D9-ADAC-45D7-82FD-F46A2CA4314C.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	451.5 KB 
ID:	340098
    Night ops on the Slink Fire.

Name:	7B284CD0-7387-431E-878C-0C8B93F6447B.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	397.3 KB 
ID:	340099
    Extreme fire behavior all night. Couldn’t stop it.

Name:	B0A7123A-57EA-4AB1-98D4-3A92DC00AFB4.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	332.7 KB 
ID:	340100
    View from Walker, CA that evening.

Name:	E04634F3-671D-4E16-B083-B7803D629C68.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	380.8 KB 
ID:	340101
    The Bear fire making a 25 mile run & burning 200 thousand acres in one day.

Name:	9C646ADA-A029-4AC4-8950-536B24C7BD6D.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	679.1 KB 
ID:	340102
    Night burn operations on the Bear Fire.

Hectic summer with no end in sight..

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    It’s been the Fire season of all seasons so far with no end in sight.. I’ve also gotten some great pics. Here’s a few.

Name:	E04634F3-671D-4E16-B083-B7803D629C68.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	380.8 KB 
ID:	340101
    The Bear fire making a 25 mile run & burning 200 thousand acres in one day.

Hectic summer with no end in sight..
    I saw that from where I was in Stonyford. WOW

Name:	20200908_191537.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	688.1 KB 
ID:	340109
    Our truck and dozer.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge