Page 39 of 82 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast
    I'm late to this post but better late than never. Don't stop! The moon? Only the moon? Pink Floyd too? I'd slide show your collection to Breathe....."All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be." Looks like you have a natural flair for composition and your subject matter is without a doubt awe-inspiring. Captivating stuff. Your animal portraits almost appear as if you're in control of their poses with their eyes seemingly fixed on you. In a place where opportunities present themselves endlessly and you improve the odds with your artistic eye and your camera readily available. I'm drawn to be in every single image even if it means flashing or sending some amazingly impossible face, butting horns with sheep or swimming with grizzlies. This is time well spent. Thanks for sharing, it reminds me a lot of my time in the Bow Valley/Banff National Park.

Quote Originally Posted by bigasshair View Post
    I'm late to this post but better late than never. Don't stop! The moon? Only the moon? Pink Floyd too? I'd slide show your collection to Breathe....."All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be." Looks like you have a natural flair for composition and your subject matter is without a doubt awe-inspiring. Captivating stuff. Your animal portraits almost appear as if you're in control of their poses with their eyes seemingly fixed on you. In a place where opportunities present themselves endlessly and you improve the odds with your artistic eye and your camera readily available. I'm drawn to be in every single image even if it means flashing or sending some amazingly impossible face, butting horns with sheep or swimming with grizzlies. This is time well spent. Thanks for sharing, it reminds me a lot of my time in the Bow Valley/Banff National Park.
    Thanks! Saw this bruiser up to Targhee today. Was awesome. :-)
    Old and Getting Older........
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

.....go out and make this season the best season of your life. Ski that line, take that trip, slide that rail, make that leap, live for the moment, and make memories with friends that’ll last a lifetime, because as a great man once said, “If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be one year older when you do.”

-Mike Rogge

Was a nice day up to Targhee yesterday, the snow not so nice early, don't know how it was later in the day, didn't have the luxury of staying till later on after the snow softened up, but I don't even know if that helped, no base and all.

but, like I said, it was a nice day....

Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

.....go out and make this season the best season of your life. Ski that line, take that trip, slide that rail, make that leap, live for the moment, and make memories with friends that’ll last a lifetime, because as a great man once said, “If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be one year older when you do.”

-Mike Rogge

Good Morning! Just sitting around this dark and dreary morning, and as the sun is still well below the horizon and the sky black as shit outside I decided to lift my spirits by browsing some of my photos from last season. Got too many to properly review each and everyone of them. Did find one that I missed though.

Here is hoping for another endorphin filled season!

Trent. Grand Targhee 2016.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Well, election night, and in order to distract myself from that shit show.....I am going to post a few photos, and maybe tell a story or two. Try and keep my sanity. cuz' damn son, it has been a long weird trip and I hope its over. I want off.

Anyway.... I'll start with this....more later this evening.

New granddaughter...Emma. My middle son and his wife brought us a rare female into the Harris family.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Congrats d00d!
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Oh, my god.
    She is beautiful!!
    Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Congrats d00d!
    Hey thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    Oh, my god.
    She is beautiful!!
    Congrats!
    Yeah, we think so too. :-) Gonna be a shredder, she just doesn't know it yet.

Anyway, all you locals, E Idaho/W Wyo types know how early winter fizzled into what appears to be summertime. Today was nice. As hell. Has been for a while, so while we wait, we go do other shit.

Took a drive up to Goldbug Hot Spring. Took the long way. Very leisurely and stop filled drive and I love me a good (short) road trip. The shots below were taken in the upper end of the Little Lost River Valley, one of my favorite places.

The pool(s)...

Turner
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Spent some time out on the desert hunting elk this season (the unit I hunt is open August 1 to Dec 31)...these guys not in our unit, but close....

Deer. I don't hunt them.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Pahsimeroi. Love the name.

Love this place.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Night like this, I need beautiful scenery to look at.
    Thank you.

More from out west of here......

Salmon River country.

Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Quote Originally Posted by Little Big Lost View Post
    Well, election night, and in order to distract myself from that shit show.....I am going to post a few photos, and maybe tell a story or two. Try and keep my sanity. cuz' damn son, it has been a long weird trip and I hope its over. I want off.

Anyway.... I'll start with this....more later this evening.

New granddaughter...Emma. My middle son and his wife brought us a rare female into the Harris family.
    Congratulations, JB !
    perfect Beautiful Grandgirl !

great to see you back on the forums - Thank you ! !! tj

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    Congratulations, JB !
    perfect Beautiful Grandgirl !

great to see you back on the forums - Thank you ! !! tj
    Hey thanks! Got the 3rd one on the way in January. Liam is going to have a little brother... probably be it for the grand kids, at least for a while. This next Harris generation looks like is going to be a sparse one, and that is probably alright, in the global scheme of things.

So, I said something about a story. What shall it be..... The Texas kidnapping that I was involved in? Or a brief description of my time in SE Asia during the time I lived and traveled there - back in the late 60's. Fuck I'm Old.

What'll it be?
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

While we wait for someone to make up their mind, I have been digging through old photos from days gone by. One thing is sure, I love snowboarding. We love snowboarding.

Charlie loves it.

Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

A few from the past year or so...

Indian peaks wilderness, Colorado.

Telluride in August

Summer sunset in Denver.

Hawaii 2 weeks ago.

Well, since no one wanted to pick one or the other, I will submit one, or both perhaps, if I am afforded the time, you can read, or not….

SE Asia. If you have been following this thread, you may already know that I spent a couple of years living in Thailand as a young lad while my father worked for a defense contractor in Bangkok. We were the rare US civilians in the country at the time. Flew alone (father had been there a couple of months) from SLC to LA, spent the night there and then by Pan Am to Bangkok via Honolulu, Tokyo and Hong Kong. For the first year we lived on Sukumvit Highway in the city center. Days were spent in the swimming pool or at the US school across town. Dad hired a chauffer to take us to school and back, each day being an adventure in the crazy traffic. The Holden was dented all the way around from multiple low speed collisions with Samlars (Tuk-Tuks), https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...5d2f1584c1.jpg and other cars.

The days were hot and humid, the reason why I spent most of my time in the well kept pool. This is where I learned to swim like a fish. I could hold my breath for +- 3 minutes while swimming back and forth along the bottom the pool. Or I would grab one of the boulders from the landscaped patio and just sit cross-legged on the bottom with the rock in my lap, measuring my time underwater.

Some afternoons I would wander the streets near home, buying sugar cane to munch on, and chewing their weird brand of minty gum.

I knew I wasn’t in Kansas anymore as at around 12 yo I was tall enough to see over most heads as I walked the busy streets, looking at all the shit for sale everywhere. Was always something to see.

One of the very cool things that I always looked forward to was a mandatory 3 day (minimum) trip out of the country every 3 months to renew our visas. Most times we went to Singapore, though we did travel to Penang a few times with one trip to Vientiane.

Singapore – Clean and tidy and with the amazing variety of food served there in restaurants making it a favorite destination of my father, who loved to eat and cook. He used to make a dish (he is dead now) all the time called Cowpot. Fucking delicious. We sampled every kind of dish we could, and I loved just about everything. But the scenery is limited by the vastness of the city.

Penang – My favorite. We always stayed at the E&O. Incredible. The ocean out the front, with the odd resident fishing off the pier, pulling in the strangest, most colorful fish I had ever seen. We would rent a car and drive down the coast. My father dropping me off at a small cabana and he and my stepmother would continue on, leaving me there for hours with nothing but the sea and sand to keep me company. It was only years later that I suspected that what they were doing was going off somewhere to have sex on the beach. To describe what the coast was like, well Gilligan’s Island is a close description. Coconut trees, turquoise water, and a slight breeze to keep it comfortable. Nice. Also, the biggest snails I have ever seen slime their way around the island. Pretty cool.

Vientiane – We flew from Bangkok across Thailand in an old DC prop on Royal Air Laos, that had all the seats on one side removed to accommodate freight. There were live chickens and such, and I swear that I could see the ground through cracks in the fuselage. The jungles below looking like a sea of giant cauliflower and broccoli. God help us if we crashed I thought. The city was full of French influence and elephant statues everywhere. Very cool. The Mekong here was incredibly big and becomes a massive raging rapid(s) during the rainy season. The one memory that does stand out vivid, is of bullet holes in buildings everywhere, fighters had machined gunned them at sometime in the not so distant past, a reminder of the war that was raging not too far away.

Back in Bangkok we visited temples, took the freakingly https://img.getyourguide.com/img/tour_img-381202-90.jpg awesome boats that ply the Chao Phraya river. Bought shit at the floating markets. Ate the food, flew their cool kites and met many locals when we moved out to the suburbs.

Father rented a house,your typical wooden home that was very open air. Lizards absolutely everywhere. Snakes? Oh fuck yeah. Chummed up with the son of a well to do Thai movie star. His estate was around the corner from us. The guy must have been fabulously rich, Clear creeks (man made) crossing the vast manicured lawns, fish, you know, big ass goldfish. Some exotic animals. Dinning room table that seated 35-40 guests. The whole smear. Don’t remember his name.

Traveled to Pattaya before it became notorious. We went out on some fishing boats at night with hanging lanterns, we speared fish that came in with long forked (trident) spears. Awesome as shit. Next day we rented a speedboat and headed out to some offshore islands. Water-skied on the clear blue ocean, skin-dived on a incredible coral reef. Dad was stupid enough to get speared with an urchin, right through his thumb. That put an end to that adventure.

This was more than 45 years ago. Beyond these and a few other vague memories, this is what I remember the most.

From Bangkok, we made our way back to Staaphorst NL, via Karachi, Beirut (got off the plane and wandered around the tarmac here), Rome, Frankfurt and Amsterdam. That was around 1967/68, a long time ago….

I hope it was worth the read.
    Last edited by Little Big Lost; 11-12-2016 at 03:32 PM.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

worth the read --

looking forward to the Texas kidnapping... skiJ
    " ... I will do anything to go Skiing ... There Is no pride ... " (Miriam , 2005-2006 epic)

Dec21, 2016. LittleBigLost :
    " I think about it everyday. It is my reminder to live life to the fullest. I get up early, go to bed late, 'cuz I got shit to do. Like I said, I'm 61. Not going to wait till I'm 81 to do stuff, ...

Get out there and do stuff!

Enjoy life to the fullest!!

See you on the slopes! "

worth the read --

Yeah, the kidnapping. I was somewhat involved, only because I knew the "kidnappers", not because I kidnapped anyone. But I was there. I know exactly what happened. Funny as shit really, at least to me.

Couldn't find work here in Idaho back in the late 70's. Heard through the grapevine that lots of jobs to be had in the post tornado Wichita Falls area. Problem was there were no accommodations to be had. None. Brought a tent along and used one of the city parks (Lucy Park) to camp out in. City temporarily allowed such mini camps until homes rebuilt and shit was well under way. Lived such a way for a couple of months or so with a bunch of Ririe "good ol' boys" . Basically a bunch of dipshits, as you will see.

A drifter came through camp one evening, looking for work and a place to sleep for the night. One of these guys thought it a good idea to let him spend the night in their tent and get him pointed in the right direction in the morning. Which they did. Pointed him on his way. And he walked off down the road, never to be seen again. We thought.

Me? I packed up all my shit - everyday, aside from the tent. Packed it in my trunk - everyday. The other guys didn't. Came back from work to find a bunch of their shit missing. Nothing terribly expensive. Clothes, boots, some other personal crap of who knows what. Lesson learned. They figured there was no chance of finding the guy, and certainly never reported it to the police.

Flash forward a couple of weeks. We all traipse into our regular morning coffeehouse, and who do we see? You guessed it. The drifter. Wearing all their shit. Even I recognized some of the articles of clothing as belonging to some of the boys. He is seated in a booth, among 10 or so other booths, also occupied by other patrons in various stages of eating breakfast. He sees us as we see him. We freeze. He freezes also, but only for a second. Then, and I shit you not, he jumps up, leaps from table to table landing in plates of breakfast as incredulous dinners are dumbstruck. He yells at the top of his voice "CALL THE COPS, THESE GUYS ARE GOING TO KILL ME!!" ...and yes they called the cops. Somebody tackled the guy and held him till the police arrived. Story was explained, the guy confessed to them to having stolen their stuff, and, what ever he wasn't wearing he had pawned at the local pawnshop. As I had no missing shit, and was not directly involved, I left to go to work, the boys, drifter and cops talking together as I drove away.

I didn't see those guys again for a couple of months after that. I come back to camp in the evening, no one around. No one shows up all night. WTF. Find out later that in their infinite wisdom, the cops turn the drifter over to the boys, who agreed to accompany them to the pawnshop for him to buy back their shit. Wow. Turns out the guy lied about having pawned the stuff, or he was unable to buy anything back, for lack of money. Anyway, if I remember right the guys were driving some kind of strato-cruiser, big car, big trunk. Which they stuffed him in. The plan was to take him 10 miles out of town. Make him strip down to his underwear, take his (their) boots, and drop him off there in the boonies to walk back to town.

Turns out they should have conveyed this information to their victim. Stopped at the first light as they were headed out of town, a cop, by chance, pulls up behind them. Drifter thinking he is going to be killed, has been banging on the inside of the trunk and yelling at the top of his voice. Lights come on, Gun is drawn, reinforcements called. Handcuffs. Jail. You get the picture.

I make a trip to the courthouse to see if there was anything I could do to help. Turns out, not much. Ended up being sorry for trying. Was treated a bit like I was an accomplice, though no evidence to support that. Obviously.

Anyway, a couple of months go by, the guys are released after kidnapped drifter drifts out of town, prosecutor can't be bothered with them and ships the lot of them back to Idaho, with a warning not to come back. As far as I know, they never did.
    Last edited by Little Big Lost; 11-12-2016 at 03:34 PM.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

worth the read --

Agreed. Thanks for sharing LBL.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    Agreed. Thanks for sharing LBL.
    Hey thanks! Y'all want to hear another tale, while we wait for snow? Got more.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    A few from the past year or so...

Indian peaks wilderness, Colorado.
    Love this shot btw. Never really got to explore CO....my loss.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

LBL --

I am somewhat in awe by the life of adventure you live . . .

carry on ! !! tj

LBL --

I am somewhat in awe by the life of adventure you live . . .

carry on ! !! tj
    Lived. Things are pretty tame these days, though we tend to tear shit up in the winter. Just waiting. Next story - 3 week backpack trip from Bonn Bad Godesberg to Luxembourg/Trier.... in late 1971. It will take a day or so to gather up my memories and put some thoughts together.
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

-Mike Rogge

Quote Originally Posted by Little Big Lost View Post
    Lived. Things are pretty tame these days, though we tend to tear shit up in the winter. Just waiting. Next story - 3 week backpack trip from Bonn Bad Godesberg to Luxembourg/Trier.... in late 1971. It will take a day or so to gather up my memories and put some thoughts together.

" Lived. "

yeah... I understand... But it did not seem (right) to say, ' you have lived... ' since you are still living!

Life often has a series of stages. and too many of those who do not embrace that meet a premature end...

I think about what you have done for - I believe it was for your brother (you have written of it... ) - and certainly your GrandSon...
    these are also adventures, Just of an entirely different nature...
    heck, truck driving had to have had it's moments (!)

anyway. I Respect and I appreciate what you do ... tj
    Last edited by skiJ; 11-15-2016 at 05:47 AM.
    " ... I will do anything to go Skiing ... There Is no pride ... " (Miriam , 2005-2006 epic)

Dec21, 2016. LittleBigLost :
    " I think about it everyday. It is my reminder to live life to the fullest. I get up early, go to bed late, 'cuz I got shit to do. Like I said, I'm 61. Not going to wait till I'm 81 to do stuff, ...

Get out there and do stuff!

Enjoy life to the fullest!!

See you on the slopes! "