Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    A beer fortress in the kingdom of cheese...

New Report; Humans Most Likely Caused Global Warming...

This new report is authored by...

wait for it...

The Bush Administration. Seriously!!!

Humans Most Likely Caused Warming, Bush Report Says

May 29 (Bloomberg) -- Burning fossil fuels in power plants and automobiles is most likely responsible for global warming, according to a Bush administration report that confirms climate risks already accepted by most of the world's scientists.

Carbon dioxide, the byproduct of burning coal and oil, has contributed most to warming in the last century, the U.S. Climate Change Science Program and the White House National Science and Technology Council reported today. The assessment from President George W. Bush's top science advisers is the strongest endorsement yet of a global scientific consensus on the causes of climate change, said Jay Gulledge, senior scientist at the Pew Center on Global Climate Change, a nonprofit research group.

``This is the Bush administration saying formally and clearly in a scientific context that we have the evidence necessary to say with confidence that manmade greenhouse gases are causing global warming,'' Gulledge said in an interview. ``This is the clearest expression of that.''

Environmental groups including the Tucson, Arizona-based Center for Biological Diversity sued the Bush administration in 2006, saying it failed to assess the effects of climate change. Every four years the president must provide the report under a 1990 law.

``For almost eight years they denied and downplayed the science,'' said Kassie Siegel, climate program director for the center. ``It sounds like they've been forced to acknowledge the consensus science.''

United Nations Agrees

Today's report presents the state of climate change research with a focus on the impact in the U.S., said Sharon Hays, deputy director for science for the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy. The findings are consistent with a report last year from the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, which concluded with 90 percent certainty that human activity is contributing to global warming.

Greenhouse gases, mainly from burning fossil fuels, ``are very likely the single largest cause of the recent warming,'' according to today's report. Industrialization is ``likely'' to have increased the risk of heat waves in some regions and is ``very likely'' to cause ocean temperatures to warm.

Natural forces alone can't account for warming that has led to greater extremes in heat and cold, higher sea surface temperatures and more hurricanes, according to the report.

An accompanying report examines how U.S. funding for climate research should be allocated among federal agencies. The reports are being hand-delivered today to Bush and members of Congress, Hays said.

Court-Ordered Deadline

The Center for Biological Diversity led a lawsuit in November 2006 to compel the administration to provide the climate report. In August, U.S. District Judge Saundra Brown Armstrong in the Northern District of California ordered the administration to complete the assessment before June 1.

``The court did impose some deadlines on us to get things done,'' Hays said on a conference call with reporters today. ``By delivering these reports today, we are complying with the deadline.''

The U.S. Senate is scheduled to begin debate next week on legislation that sets mandatory limits on greenhouse gases from utilities and manufacturers. Bush continues to resist government caps on carbon dioxide emissions.

The report also dispels a perception among some that rich nations including the U.S. are immune to the effects of climate change, Gulledge said. Parts of North America could warm faster this century than average global increases, according to the report.

``It's important because it unleashes the scientific authority of the United States government to make this clear to our population at home,'' Gulledge said.
    All I have to say is... HaahHhAhHhHHHAhhHhahah!!!
    Last edited by timvwcom; 06-01-2008 at 11:42 PM.
    If some of the best times of my life were skiing the UP in -40 wind chill with nothing but jeans, cotton long johns and a wine flask to keep warm while sleeping in the back of my dad's van... does that make me old school?

"REHAB SAVAGE, REHAB!!!"

Oh, man, Jer is going to be non-plussed, in a blase denial sort of way.
    Blurred too.

(Damn, it's not going to be funny when the 'global coolings' crowd actually learn how to read hard data...)
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

So now Bush is credible, eh?

Preemptive strike. You know it's coming.

I wanna see what Big Balls has to say.
    Congrats, mags! We collected 1030.68! for birdman!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    No is that like whne I come on your mosms face whle you lick my ballsss???

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Explosion View Post

Whether any of the GW (not gwb, of course!) facts pan out as being true or not (there is NO harm in assuming so, but HUGE harm in assuming not), this particular political 'hot potato' is the essence of Irony, and cynical bandwagoneering for short term reputation gain.

MORE proof that Bush is a rudderless fool, regardless of the veracity of any of this speculation.

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post

MORE proof that Bush is a rudderless fool, regardless of the veracity of any of this speculation.
    Or proof that now, since he has already made all his business buddies obscenely rich, he wants to say something true for his Presidential library.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Or proof that now, since he has already made all his business buddies obscenely rich, he wants to say something true for his Presidential library.
    Somebody should tell him that one air freshener isn't going to erase the smell from his Olympic size swimming pool of shit.

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Somebody should tell him that one air freshener isn't going to erase the smell from his Olympic size swimming pool of shit.
    He doesn't want to erase it, he just wants to cover it up.

Funny enought that I had to x-post it elsewhere....

They lied about everything else, why should this be any different?

Where's Al Gore?
    Last edited by Mr Sparkle; 06-02-2008 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    He doesn't want to erase it, he just wants to cover it up.
    Almost got it....

Exactly. That should pretty much be the final nail in the coffin of the GLOBAL WARMINGS!!! cult. Not that it will go away anytime soon.

Ride - why don't you have another child/add an addition to your mansion/buy another gigantic gas grill/fly to Peru and stop ranting about all tha GLOBAL WARMINGS!!!? It's like Goebbels talking about how we need to stop antisemitism.

so, last week it was the sun & lava

and now it humans?

Gotta love that sort of diversity in any administration. Even if whoever wrote it is a blithering idiot.

I have decided to hook up the $29,000 gas grill to the back of an extended wheelbase Escalade. Wanna come over for lunch?

Seriously though, ride - besides posting about it here, what have you done/are you doing to counteract tha GLOBAL WARMINGS!!!? At least Witherspoon pretty much walked the walk...

I have decided to hook up the $29,000 gas grill to the back of an extended wheelbase Escalade. Wanna come over for lunch?
    Make sure it burns whale oil. You know, for the best taste and all that bullshit.

Liberal Genius Guest
    I think Al Gore has been blowing Bush.

(there is NO harm in assuming so, but HUGE harm in assuming not)
    Uh huh. No harm in putting thousands out of work in the Mid-Atlantic and Midwest who work in coal plants because they can't meet emission standards that would be put in place if the Lieberman bill gets passed (or any one like it). Not to mention the increased cost of energy to EVERYONE in America at a time of record energy prices because we wont be able to use cheap ol coal or oil when nutjob legislation outlaws it.

You may be able to afford all the organic, green-technology, eco-bullshit out there because it makes you feel better about your wasteful life, but once people like you start forcing your tinfoil hat regulation on millions and millions of average Americans, you're digging into their pocketbooks and they wont like that.

I'm all for a cleaner planet and better technology, but your blanket statements about no downside to your eco-theology make you look no better than a chicken little.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sparkle View Post

Where's Al Gore?
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberal Genius View Post
    I think Al Gore has been blowing Bush.
    Not even close Bud!

I've been laying low. Zombie Reagan told me he was on the prowl for me so I figured some time away from TGR might be in order to load up on the latest zombie-killing firepower.

I've also taken to the streets in real life looking for my buddy Witherspoon. I haven't been this broken up since Tipper took away the keys to the internet for a week.

In the meantime I think Rideit fills in nicely around here when it comes to blathering idiocy until we find David.
    Stay off my internet bitches.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Uh huh. No harm in putting thousands out of work in the Mid-Atlantic and Midwest who work in coal plants because they can't meet emission standards that would be put in place if the Lieberman bill gets passed (or any one like it). Not to mention the increased cost of energy to EVERYONE in America at a time of record energy prices because we wont be able to use cheap ol coal or oil when nutjob legislation outlaws it.
    Energy is never going to get cheaper. In the short term energy might be cheaper than without the legislation, but in the long run we are better off forcing ourselves to switch to alternatives sooner rather than later.

Every generation in the past has managed to burden extreme costs of big investments in the future. Look at projects like the first railroads, the interstate system, the hoover dam, etc. These projects had HUGE costs, whose returns largely wouldn't be seen for decades. Now our economy takes advantage of cheap shipping provided by the interstate system. Las vegas wouldn't even exist without the hoover dam.

The next big investment we have to make is a new energy industry, whether its nuclear or anything else. Why can't we accept some short term pain for creating the conditions in which a new energy industry can grow? An industry that we will need very soon anyways. There is no bigger danger to industry than expensive energy costs. If you really want to protect industry in the long run, you should be for these changes.

edit: By the way, if we took what we've spent on the iraq war and built nuclear power plants, we would have 100-200 (depending on capital investment cost estimates for nuclear power) gigawatts of electrical generating capacity costing us 5.6 cents per kWh. Current average price of electricity is almost 9 cents per kWh. That nuclear generating capacity would have provided cheap, clean energy for decades. As we've obviously seen, cheap energy means a good economy.
    Last edited by Powow; 06-02-2008 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Uh huh. No harm in putting thousands out of work in the countryside and cities who work in horse and buggy industries because they can't meet speed and practicality that would be put in place if the motorized carriage succeeds (or any thing like it). Not to mention the increased cost of feeding and boarding horses for EVERYONE in America at a time of record grain prices because we wont have abundant facilities for providing for that when nutjob internal combustion technology is more efficient.

You may be able to afford all the fancy, smanczy, engine vehicles out there because it makes you feel better about your wasteful life, but once people like you start forcing your tinfoil hat technologies on millions and millions of average Americans, you're digging into their pocketbooks and they wont like that.

I'm all for faster travel and better technology, but your blanket statements about no downside to our countries transportation system make you look no better than a chicken little.
    Fixed it for ya...
    If some of the best times of my life were skiing the UP in -40 wind chill with nothing but jeans, cotton long johns and a wine flask to keep warm while sleeping in the back of my dad's van... does that make me old school?

"REHAB SAVAGE, REHAB!!!"

Hey Timwv, you take cock in the ass don't you? I thought so, so I figured I'd ask you if you've seen my buddy Witherspoon around. He can't get enough of that shit, and birds of a feather...well...

If you see him please tell him I'm looking for him. You see I'm about to be vice president again.

Thanks buddy I appreciate it. Now back to getting your fudge packed, asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Gore View Post
    Hey Timwv, you take cock in the ass don't you? I thought so, so I figured I'd ask you if you've seen my buddy Witherspoon around. He can't get enough of that shit, and birds of a feather...well...

If you see him please tell him I'm looking for him. You see I'm about to be vice president again.

Thanks buddy I appreciate it. Now back to getting your fudge packed, asshole.
    Figured YOU'D love them apples...

Looking like you might have really given up the LG? Wow...

"REHAB SAVAGE, REHAB!!!"

^^^

What the hell are you talking about? That is beyond cryptic even for a guy who invented the internet. Seriously, when you're done tell Witherspoon to get in touch with me. We have lots to talk about.