Ok...Audi mechanics in SLC

Anyone know of any GOOD audi mechanics in the SLC area...Im looking at a 1990 V8 Quattro...this is a RARE car and NOT AND A8.....would need a mechanic familiar with this car in particular.

Thanks in advance all.

I owned one and never found a mechanic in the Denver area that had ever seen one before. I ended up doing most things myself. What kinda shape is it in?

Ask on one of the Audi forums, there are several.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Ask on one of the Audi forums, there are several.

Yeah figured id try here too...im going to post this up on some Audi specific message boards.

thanks.

do not do it.

Here you go:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3784973

I had to ask the same thing when I first got into town a couple of months ago.

The Audi V8s are sweet rides! Pobably the best looking Audi from the early 90s.

I could recommend a few mechanics here in Colorado that are familiar with these cars... but none in SLC.. Sorry.

As for Audi forums... Vortex sux balls... not even good for dubs.

Check out:
    www.justfourrings.com
    www.motorgeek.com

Also this site has some great technical knowledge for this chassis and troubleshooting tips..

www.sjmauto.com

Here is what you need to look at when considering the purchase of a type 44 audi (85-91 5000, 100, 200, or V8 Quattro) or the later C3 (92-95 S4 and S6).

Chassis:

Look at the condition of all 4 CV axels and boots (8 of them), find out if the Struts and shocks have been replaced and the condition of the suspension bushings, look at the condition of the driveshaft and in particualar the center bearing, look at the enigine and tranny mounts. Find out when the auto tranny was last serviced. (unless you are looking at one of the uber rare V8 5speeds)

Steering:

Look for leaking hydro lines and power steering pump, also look at the steering rack and check for leaks. If the brake light stays on after starting, the car may need a new bomb (pressure accumulator).

Motor:

Find out when the last timing belt service was done. This should be done every 60k miles. Its about a $1,000 service (much less if you do it yourself).
    The 3.6L V8 in these cars is a good motor and makes about 240hp, it also manages to get around 22-25mpg so they are not pigs. Find out when plugs and wires were done, and if it has original cooling hoses and radiator.

Interior:

Check to see if all of the windows and switches work, check the sunroof, the power seats. Dead lights in switches are easy to fix. Dead lights in the IC are easy to fix. Check to see if the heated seats are working. These cars came with a factory Bose system that has probably been updated at some point.

Exterior:

rust is usually not a problem on these cars as Audi used 100% galvanized sheet metal... but if they use Salt on the roads it could be an issue.

Brakes:

These cars came with a funky front brake disc/caliper setup that are sometimes called UFO brakes... they work well but can be expensive to service. Find out if this car has had the brakes converted to the G60 front calipers (many were converted by the dealer).

Overall these are great cars, super plush with good power and respectable economy. These cars are best cruising on the highway at triple digit speeds, but they can be made to handle pretty well also. The 3.6L V8 is a pretty exotic mill as it was all aluminium (block and heads) for that year. The V8 is not as rare as you think... they were sold here in the states from 90-94. Also the chassis and many interior parts are shared with the far more common 5000s and 200s. So suspension, chassis, steering parts are reasonable and obtainable. Motor parts, body parts, and tranny parts that are unique to the V8 are more expensive.

The main things to look out for with these cars is the maint history... if the timing belts and tranny services are done as scheduled these cars will easily run to 250k or even 300k + miles. They also have a very timeless look that wouldnt make you think its a 18 year old car. Avoid cars that have sat without being driven for long periods of time... as when you start driving them again they tend to spring leaks.

In the snow they with nokians they are amazingly capable... certainly a notch above the subbies and other awd cars out there. But if this is your first Quattro than be warned... once you buy one there is no going back

consider this:

"I hope that I will soon forget the Audi Quattro. Until I do, I shall continue to worship that bitch goddess Success at the expense of friends, family, honesty and decency - anything to be in a position to have one. The Quattro is evil, an insidious witch in the guise of state-of-the-art engineering, a circe who commands your obedience every waking moment and a succubus who haunts every dream. She's the seductress who recreates That First Time all over again, who snips all your tethers to innocence and changes your life forever." - Four Wheeler Magazine, August 1982
    Money:

If the car is pristine and has been very well cared for with documented maint history it might be worth as much as $4000 ( also if it has some nice upgrades like bilsteins, konis, or Euro lights, ect.)

If it is solid but needs a few things here and there it should be worth more like $2500-$3000.

If it needs lots of attention it might still be a good buy for around $1000-$1500 if you are able to fix it up.

If it is a super rare 5speed manual tranny than add about $500-$1000 to the value.

Finally that motor sounds super saxy!! It has a low growl that you would expect from a V8... but the four cams and 32 valves, as well as its high reving ways make it sound so sweet!! It has a way better growl than a ford or chevy V8 from the early 90s.

Ken

Check out TDC and ask for scott, also you can check out streamline but I think they only work on newer stuff. Or check out twenty/thirty motoring most of these guys do performance upgrades but they will at least know the most about the car or send you to someone else. I don't have numbers off hand but most of them are located in South Salt lake.

twenty/thrity had a sick banged up s6 avant out front they didn't feel like selling me.... but I always saw nice audi's there... They have some audi skills, thats for sure.

Haven't heard of these Twenty/Thirty fellas but it sounds like I may get in touch. I've been using the dudes over at Streamline.

Streamline was referred to me from my local shop back home and the main contact is this dude Elf. The work is quality, prices are middle of the road but getting a hold of these guys is a real pain. Phone can ring for minutes before anyone ever picks it up, shop is super small with only 2 racks so getting in can be a bitch. BUT I continue to go back

Take your business to a fellow mag: http://www.advancedserviceauto.com/
    We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need? ~ Lee Iacocca

Quote Originally Posted by EPSkis View Post
    Take your business to a fellow mag: http://www.advancedserviceauto.com/
    Its always good to support a maggot, but in this case I wouldnt do it. If you drive a ford or chevy you could get away with taking your ride to a "we work on all makes and models" type of place. But with an Audi, or most any other foreign car for that matter, its not a good idea.

The Audi V8 is a very sophisticated machine, that most mechanics dont know how to work on. Special tools are needed for timing belt service and other jobs that the above shop isnt likely to have. And these cars could easily be fucked up by someone who doesnt know them.

The best mechanic finding advice I have ever heard is this... find a mechanic who drives the same car as you. In this case it doesnt have to be a V8, but I would make sure that any mechanic that I let touch it, owned a type 44 or C3 audi first.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by kentheskier View Post
    Its always good to support a maggot, but in this case I wouldnt do it. If you drive a ford or chevy you could get away with taking your ride to a "we work on all makes and models" type of place. But with an Audi, or most any other foreign car for that matter, its not a good idea.

The Audi V8 is a very sophisticated machine, that most mechanics dont know how to work on. Special tools are needed for timing belt service and other jobs that the above shop isnt likely to have. And these cars could easily be fucked up by someone who doesnt know them.

The best mechanic finding advice I have ever heard is this... find a mechanic who drives the same car as you. In this case it doesnt have to be a V8, but I would make sure that any mechanic that I let touch it, owned a type 44 or C3 audi first.

Ken
    You could always shoot a brotha a PM or email & ask those questions of him. All I can tell you is that he took care of my Lexus.
    We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need? ~ Lee Iacocca

Ask for Cameron at twenty thirty they are located just off 300 West and about 3000 South. He is great at what he does.

I had a buddy that bought one, and the local Audi guru refused to touch it.

He could have bought a new Audi for what he ended up putting into that thing, and it continued to have problems. Having said that, it was fast, smooth and handled really well for its size. He hated that care as much as he loved it.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    He hated that care as much as he loved it.
    Hate to rain on the parade but your purchase price may end up being a small down payment on the total cost of ownership for this rig. Luxuirous and cool for sure, but every repair will be $$$.
    "Don't tease me about my hobbies, I don't tease you about being an asshole"

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Also take a look at www.repairpal.com. Their estimates seem to be right on the mark for me.

Ken
    It couldn't hurt asking Bob. He'll tell you straight up if he's comfortable working on the car and if he's not, he'll likely know someone who is. The guy is as honest as they come and while he is running a business, he's not just out to make a buck off you. He's always done right by me and my subie, I know it's not a rare Audi, but still.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

autobahn in provo

TAS-Goodyear Automotive in Ogden. !7th and Washington. They Always have old Audis hanging around. Jason is the head wrench. I believe the owner is into old quattros. I live down the street and this place is always rockin'. Very reasonable and honest from my experience. 399-3314.
    Legalize it. Don't criticize it.

Special tools are needed for timing belt service.

Ken
    Ahh, the joys of Audi engineering, no need for keyways on camshaft sprockets. I actually work on quite a few of those cursed autos. Surprisingly some of our BMW customers have actually crossed over to the other side now and then. But, thanks for the vote of confidence, .

BobMc

PS I'll see you on Monday Sam, thanks.