Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    It already exists, JONG.

Too bad the Twin Lakes Reservoir people would never make that public, and I think it's only big enough for one direction at a time. It would be sweet to take a ride through it someday though.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

We're mountain people. This is what we do, this is how we live. -D.C.

Yeah I guess you could just have motor boat rentals.

If you ever get the chance to talk to the water operator, do it. He's a cool & funny old coot. Seems like every time I ski up there in winter, at the end of the day when I'm havin a brew on the tailgate, either in or out of the tunnel he drives.

Quote Originally Posted by jon turner View Post
    Too bad the Twin Lakes Reservoir people would never make that public, and I think it's only big enough for one direction at a time. It would be sweet to take a ride through it someday though.
    You can take one of the tunnels right into Hunter Creek Valley
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

I remember driving from Co Springs into Aspen for a job interview in Early june over the pass in 95. thre were 10-15 foot WALLS, not berms of snow on both sides a lot of the way. I never saw it like that again in the next 5+ years i lived there, even when headed up to ski the pass soon after opening
    With this years snowpack i can only imagine. what it would be like.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    I remember driving from Co Springs into Aspen for a job interview in Early june over the pass in 95. thre were 10-15 foot WALLS, not berms of snow on both sides a lot of the way. I never saw it like that again in the next 5+ years i lived there, even when headed up to ski the pass soon after opening
    With this years snowpack i can only imagine. what it would be like.
    I'd imagine that there's probably a lot of snow up there.

I heard from a buddy that rode his bike up Indy Pass today and the Aspen side is clear to the summit! Sucks to have to wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    I heard from a buddy that rode his bike up Indy Pass today and the Aspen side is clear to the summit! Sucks to have to wait!
    That crossed my mind this afternoon- ride up from the E side to snowline. Think I'll hike/skin Massive from the hatchery tomorrow a.m. because it's 5 minutes away. If ya got another worthy objective in the area lined up for tomorrow (sat.) send me a PM.

I might try and ride my bike up from the east side on monday to check it out. I'll be in Alaska when they finally open the road and won't get to enjoy it.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

We're mountain people. This is what we do, this is how we live. -D.C.

I don't think it needs to be any easier to get to or from Aspen.

I ran into 3 road bikers from Boulder today. They were headed up to the pass from the Aspen side. I said "Where you going?" and they said "Twin Lakes." I said "I think it's still pretty rough up there." They said "No, we came over from Twin Lakes yesterday. It's clear."

Looks like it really will be open by the 7th.

Tentative date/time - June 5th at 2 PM.... although there are supposed to be 9500 ft freezing levels that day.

Best day/call this weekend/suggestion - snow-wise from local mags appreciated.

I heard from someone that biked up and talked to some CDOT workers that the road has been clear of snow for few days, but that the asphalt got kind of screwed up, either from avys or from the clearing efforts, so the delay now is just because they are repairing the road.

Anyone that wants to go skiing hit me up.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by HyRUPz View Post
    Best day/call this weekend/suggestion - snow-wise from local mags appreciated.
    Not sure exactly what you're asking, but the snow-pack is huge right now. All the standard lines will be filled in, plus many rare ones. Basically, everything is in prime scralping form.

As far as which day, there's some flakes a'comin tomorrow, so I'd say Friday could supply some decent pow...
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake

I'm hopin to get up there Saturday.

This is from the edition of the Leadville Chronicle that was just printed today. And I quote:

"The opening of the pass to vehicles has been eagerly anticipated by those anxious to ski and snowboard on its snow-covered slopes. Last week, CDOT said it was still dealing with snow 30 feet deep in places."

Alright, I realize it's only the Leadville paper, but still...
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake

I've heard 30' walls in places... but it's not like those guys are measuring.

2 pm today is the tentative opening... We'll see what the weather does.

We'll be up there early tomorrow.

Oh, and I didn't realize I was such an authority...

maybe I can get some respect 'round here now...
    Last edited by grskier; 06-05-2008 at 10:49 AM.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

30 foot snow walls, in one place, otherwise it look s pretty much the same as usual. Was up there on my bike.
    Not as much snow as you would think with all the hype. Lots of coverage dont get me wrong.
    Dumping right now.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I've heard 30' walls in places... but it's not like those guys are measuring.

2 pm today is the tentative opening... We'll see what the weather does.

We'll be up there early tomorrow.

Oh, and I didn't realize I was such an authority...

maybe I can get some respect 'round here now...
    Got room for another tomorrow?

Tomorrow will be the shit!!! June pow anyone?
    -Glen Plake

NPG and I are heading up to Aspen via Indy pass on Saturday the 14th to ski in the area.
    I'll have 2 empty seats in the car if anybody from the Boulder, Denver, or SuCo area wants a ride...

Quote Originally Posted by powder_prophet View Post
    Tomorrow will be the shit!!! June pow anyone?
    Think it is snowing up there? Snotel at 10600 looks a little warm.

Quote Originally Posted by cotrip wx
    Independence Pass
    Air Temp: 32°F, 0°C
    Dew Point: 28F
    Relative Humidity: 86%
    Wind Speed: 0 mph, 0.0 knots
    Wind Direction: SW or 205.0°
    Wind Gust Speed: 0 mph, 0.0 knots
    Wind Gust Direction: SW or 205.0°
    Reading taken at Thu Jun 05 12:44:00 MDT 2008
    I also see a lil fresh on Monarchs deck cam.
    Been raining here for a couple hours.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Think it is snowing up there? Snotel at 10600 looks a little warm.
    Yeah, and its still a little warm here at 10,200, but the top of the pass could be a totally different story. If nothing else, it will certainly be cold enough almost immediately after sunset. And the mountains are certainly socked in right now, and have been all morning. No sign of it clearing up any time soon!

I have also had some problems with that snotel on cottonwood. Its either kind of askew, or its just a lot warmer down south. For a couple nights this weekend, it said it was only getting to the mid 40's at night, then I camped the next night in South Halfmoon at 11,200, and it got well below freezing. I realize that its higher then the snotel, but not by much.

I used to have a link for a weather station closer to Indy, but I can't find it anymore...

Edit: thanks for putting that up FZ. 32 degrees at the warmest time of the day.
    -Glen Plake