Thread: What program/s

What program/s

So I am throwing around the idea of getting a new laptop (Mac) and would need to run, Autocad for work. But other than that I want to get somthing for touching up photos and playing around. So should I get photoshop, lightroom or both? Also what should I look at for editing video? I have absolutely no experience with that so any help would be great.
    The Worst mistakes, make the best memories.

I was thinking the same, although maybe a little more into future.. or at least a few months. Anyway, I was considering both, but only because I might be able to get photoshop from someone, and light room isn't as expensive.. (?) How much does lightroom let you edit photos or what makes it different from photoshop is the question I think haha.
    "Some folks look for answers
    Others look for fights
    Some folks up in treetops
    Just look to see the sights"

Photoshop. Lightroom is primarily an editing software with some manipulation features. Enough to make some people think it's enough.

advres Guest
    For video editing, Final Cut Studio if you are really going to get into it and mix formats and dealing with I/O cards. If you are just going DV than go with Final Cut Express.

they make Autocad for MAC now?

Quote Originally Posted by Gebster View Post
    they make Autocad for MAC now?
    Nope, but you can run Bootcamp or parallels.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Photoshop. Lightroom is primarily an editing software with some manipulation features. Enough to make some people think it's enough.
    Lightroom is primarily a program that handles the entire workflow, from importing images from the camera to printing, exporting, web publishing. It has some manipulation features, enough that I rarely fire up Photoshop. I have both on my laptop and lately I've mostly used Photoshop for stitching together panoramas..
    You should download Lightroom and try it for free for 30 days, then decide if it suits your needs or not. IMO it's a nice piece of software and totally worth it.
    Sinful and wind-borne..

Quote Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
    Nope, but you can run Bootcamp or parallels.
    Why would you do that? Just to pay extra for the fucking logo?

To the OP - if you're only looking to edit photos and video for the web the included iPhoto and iMovie software is probably plenty. It all depends on what you mean by "playing around," though. Photoshop will pretty much enable you turn a black midget wrestler into a supermodel... you know, what Benny does.

Since installing Lightroom I have not used PS at all. I found myself simply spending time fucking around with the possibilities of PS and then discarding 90% of them anyway. I get a beautiful printed image out of Lightroom, so PS is overkill for me.

Video-wise just play with iMovie until you're comfortable moving up to a higher level. Editing software (like Advres' suggestion of Final Cut Studio) gets very expensive ($1300) and unless you're doing the things he mentioned, along with color correction, non-cheesy transitions, and need to be able to plug in titling/GFX programs, it's overkill as well. Not exactly a home-movie type program suite.

First off DAMN I was just told that Autocad would work on Macs now, and that made my day......well maybe not as easy as I thought/hoped. I should definately be able to get by with the Mac video editor for awhile, all its really going to be used for is my entertainment. End of the season, skiing/dirt biking video. I guess the reason that I want PS is that I hate needing a tool and not having it. Thats how I look at PS, I may not need/use it all the time but if I want it then I may as well have it even though I hvae less skill actually using it than my Australian Shepard does at flying. I am definately going to give LR a go though for the free trial....hey its free why not.
    The Worst mistakes, make the best memories.