Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by blackalps View Post
    yeh. those two chest tube holes are the culprit, I think. Everything else is mostly back to normal. Although I went running yesterday and it steels feels like I have a solid wall in my rib cage on that side that my lungs just can't expand past. Gets to a certain point and the elasticity is just gone. I imagine it's what it would feel like to try to breathe in deep with a tightly tied corset on.
    When was your last chest xr and was it normal? If it wasn't might be worth checking to make sure there isn't scar tissue around the lung from any left over blood in the chest. More likely there's some scarring from the ribs and the scapula that should loosen up over time. Scars take about a year to soften. If you still have your incentive spirometer you could work out with it, see if you can get up to 4000 ml (4L). See if your lung expansion really is limited or if you just have the sensation that it is because of the scarring and healing.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    When was your last chest xr and was it normal? If it wasn't might be worth checking to make sure there isn't scar tissue around the lung from any left over blood in the chest. More likely there's some scarring from the ribs and the scapula that should loosen up over time. Scars take about a year to soften. If you still have your incentive spirometer you could work out with it, see if you can get up to 4000 ml (4L). See if your lung expansion really is limited or if you just have the sensation that it is because of the scarring and healing.

I definitely can't get to 4000 right now. I never got that high. I think the highest I got was 3500 or maybe 3700. My last xray was about a two months ago. They said there was still blood in there.

I definitely can't get to 4000 right now. I never got that high. I think the highest I got was 3500 or maybe 3700. My last xray was about a two months ago. They said there was still blood in there.
    I think it would be worth it to follow up with your doc and see how your xray looks. Based on what you can do it doesn't sound likely that they would recommend surgery, but I would be just a little concerned that there might be some scarring on the surface of the lung that limits its expansion. Definitely keep working with the spirometer if you aren't still doing it.

I think it would be worth it to follow up with your doc and see how your xray looks. Based on what you can do it doesn't sound likely that they would recommend surgery, but I would be just a little concerned that there might be some scarring on the surface of the lung that limits its expansion. Definitely keep working with the spirometer if you aren't still doing it.

thanks. both of those are probably a good idea. I've actually been thinking I should work more with the spirometer, as much as I hate it.

one of the plates in my ribs is squeaking. I may have to have a 3rd surgery anyway.

thanks. both of those are probably a good idea. I've actually been thinking I should work more with the spirometer, as much as I hate it.

one of the plates in my ribs is squeaking. I may have to have a 3rd surgery anyway.
    Can't they just oil it?

Can't they just oil it?
    Lol. They want to take it out so it doesn’t break and cause a sharp edge in there.

My lung didn’t collapse, I never had a diagnosed fracture (but had the tenderness as described by OG), and I bet it was at least 2 months before I could have played tennis.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I'd want to see the lung completely expanded on xray for a couple of days at least before any strenuous activity.
    Had follow up a bit ago, almost exactly 1 week from discharge, 9 days from fall. Dr sees no gaps in the lung and believes it's now fully inflated. I asked and she said again they see no displacement with any of the ribs. She said they cannot rule out a hairline fracture but cannot find anything on the chest film they took today. She also commented it was a 10% collapse so I guess that's by far the wimpy-est of this thread - cheers MT
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    Had follow up a bit ago, almost exactly 1 week from discharge, 9 days from fall. Dr sees no gaps in the lung and believes it's now fully inflated. I asked and she said again they see no displacement with any of the ribs. She said they cannot rule out a hairline fracture but cannot find anything on the chest film they took today. She also commented it was a 10% collapse so I guess that's by far the wimpy-est of this thread - cheers MT
    I'd say you'd be good to go on Saturday if you're not too sore. And next time post in the right thread--this one is only for the seriously injured. ; - )

^ well, again, thank you for your responses. you are very kind! Cheers MT
    "Can't you see..."