Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Originally posted by tuffy109
    no, it's:

sharks vs. bears
    gapers vs kooks (ie, you)
    Ummmm...bears hibernate during the winter.

Pinche juero!
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

ummm, i was skiing in may, is that winter?

shark sitings are seasonal as well (at least, down here).
    fine

When was the last time a skier got mauled by a bear? When was the last time a surfer got munched on by a shark? In other words, how many times does each happen in a year? Case closed. Thanks for playing.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

when's the last time you were attacked by a gaper?

damn dude, get out of the sun for a bit.

kook
    fine

i'm sorry, should i delete it?

it's just an opinion, not a problem with society that needs to be worked out.
    Easy Tuffmeister. No offense intended. I guess I should have said "silly", but I did qualify it with narrowing down the debate to the heart of the matter. If your going to talk about access and ease then skateboarding or running are the greatest sports.

I think those hostile socal breaks are getting to you.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

Originally posted by bossass
    Easy Tuffmeister. No offense intended. I guess I should have said "silly", but I did qualify it with narrowing down the debate to the heart of the matter. If your going to talk about access and ease then skateboarding or running are the greatest sports.

I think those hostile socal breaks are getting to you.
    I was gonna tell Tuffy to stay off the waves and get his Yuppie ass back to the valley, but that would be a waste of time. I'm just gonna fuck him up

Originally posted by bossass

but I think it's sort of pointless to discuss the logistics of the two, like how accessible the are and how much gear you need, etc.

Talk about the moment of perfection itself and I think you will find the two quite similar.
    but the logistics are part of what shapes ones' opinions, right?

i will agree on the moment of perfection.
    fine

when's the last time you were attacked by a gaper?

damn dude, get out of the sun for a bit.

kook
    Let's see, that would be the first Summit day at Squaw when I chided a lady and her friend for cutting in front of me (and about 9 other people in line) and then the beyatch turned around and layed into me like I was the one in the wrong. Fuckin' brilliant shit. That argument should be gaper vs. kook. Bear vs. shark is a different matter. And I was trying to be funny damnit. Now you've gotten me all hot and bothered...wait...I mean pissed. Ahhhhh...I kill you!!!!

And yes the sun has affected me. Damnit I've been living in the fucking gloomy Gay Area for the last fucking 10 years. I don't know what the sun looks like anymore and so it freaked me out.

hahahaha, nice story.
    fine

There are animals in the Ocean that will fuck'n eat you. Rip tides and undertows that can suck you out for miles. Ok so there's bikinis. You win.
    yepper

Originally posted by Punani
    I was gonna tell Tuffy to stay off the waves and get his Yuppie ass back to the valley, but that would be a waste of time. I'm just gonna fuck him up
    "What's your name?"
    "Bunker"
    "Well Bunker, I'm really glad you found me"
    "Oh yeah? Why?"

Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Originally posted by hop
    "What's your name?"
    "Bunker"
    "Well Bunker, I'm really glad you found me"
    "Oh yeah? Why?"

Damn, Hop beat me to it....
    Martha's just polishing the brass on the Titanic....

This is an age old question for those of us that like to play with gravity. Think about this skiing and surfing maybe the oldest so called extreme sports known to humans. the begining of both are lost in history. both became so importent to the culture in which they started the they became mixed in with religion and the culture. They both have a sense of freeedom that I haven't found with enything else. they both take a lot of skill and knowlage that can only be learned the hard way. Another thing I love about both is that you are always learning growing finding new ways to get better. In both the Mountains and the Ocean we are out of our element. Get to cocky and Mother Nature will bitch slap you back to reality. Would I rather take the drop on a 6 to 8 foot pitching wave or drop over an edge into 2000 vert feet of fresh pow? I can recall days when I was so beat ,shoulders aching my skin salt encrusted and half dead from being pounded by 10 foot mean pitching waves. my whole body hurting and i could not have been happier or more at peace. I have also gotten that feeling after a long day of skinning and dropping in the Wasatch back country. I now live in Utah I don't think I could go back and live in the cesspool that So Cal has become. That perfect bluebird day with 18" of fresh powder and that perfect point with a 6" ground swell are both vary rare and wonders. I am just glad i get to enjoy the ride

Originally posted by interloper
    Ok so there's bikinis. You win.
    I can't believe it took to page two to get here.

ive never surfed before, and dont really plan too

BUT

I feel like surfing could be equivalent to riding deep pow, perfect slope, perfect snow, perfect run, just smooth turns in the pow....always somewhat the same.....but is there anything that can compare to a stomped huck, or the adrenaline at the top(or bottom) of a sick line?????

just a question, im not trying to go one way or the other......

i could easily surf before work, during lunch and after work. it probably takes me 2-3 minutes to be in the water after deciding whether to go out or not (let's just put aside the fact that i live at the beach).

i can only get to the mountains on weekends, it takes a 4-5 hour drive and it's going to cost me quite a few dollars. skiing is an all day thing, ie. if i'm going skiing, i'm getting nothing else done that day.
    Heh, if I wanna go surfing, it's a get-in-the-plane-and-then-drive kinda thing.

But then again, I live 20 minutes from Snowbird.

Quote Originally Posted by tuffy109
    surfing is better than skiing.
    You were right. I was wrong. My vote's changed - Surfing takes it.
    Last edited by cj001f; 08-02-2006 at 10:46 PM.
    Elvis has left the building

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f

But there's that nasty, nasty thing called reality. Just about every break closeby is crowded when I go. Especially when I go back Santa Cruz. Lineup pecking order, boards everywhere, 'tude. Ruins the whole buzz. Sure there are out of the way breaks - but they're just that - out of the way, and usually not as good.

Sounds like the Wasatch.

Surfing better than skiing...No friggin' way. You saying this as an infrequent, decent size south bears down upon SoCal in July.

Quote Originally Posted by Z
    .....but is there anything that can compare to a stomped huck, or the adrenaline at the top(or bottom) of a sick line?????

just a question, im not trying to go one way or the other......
    Wearing nothing but a pear of trunks and sunblock, staring down a 12' wall of beyond-vertical water, hearing the lip crash behind your rear shoulder, warm spray from the light offshore winds lightly blowing on your face, springing to your feet and crouching in anticipation of the bottom turn that awaits you after the indesribeably blissful sensation of weightlessness that is the drop, leaning forward and setting your rail, driving your rear foot and pointing the board vertical up the face of the wave, executing a precise top-turn at full speed and feeling the force of the lip underneath your feet as you transform it into a fan of spray, hearing the dramatic splash as that spray impacts the surface of the water, seeing the lip start to throw10' in front of you as you press your body closer to the wave's face, you look up to see the lip pitching over your body and board, you hear the crashing lip and low, resonating hum of the barrel, the section behind you closes out completely and a canon blast of compressed air rockets you out of the almond-eye of the barrell in an explosion of spray. . .

Yeah, some things can compare.
    I should want to cook him a simple meal, but I shouldn't want to cut into him, to tear the flesh, to wear the flesh, to be born unto new worlds where his flesh becomes my key.

Surfing the best of couse...

but the mountains are always big !

(surfing 35 years)

i can't believe this thread skipped a summer.

i'm still right.
    fine

Quote Originally Posted by tuffy109
    i can't believe this thread skipped a summer.

i'm still right.

You are totally right! Everybody move to California and go splash around in the ocean, PLEASE!