Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    [QUOTE=jbc28;1856349]IMO, no way would I lift a new vehicle unless you absolutely need bigger tires for off road. My family owns a 4x4 customization shop, and I have had a ton of lifted vehicles. QUOTE]

thats interesting ... ever notice how the guys that run the shops that take yer money run stock vehicles?

I talked to a guy who runs a diesal shop doing engine mods ,he runs a stock 97 cummins ... sez there are no problems that way

Quote Originally Posted by lemon boy View Post
    Well…I'd disagree with BB to an extent, a susp lift will yeild some real world useful gains, especially for a chevy and bigger tires = the most overrated and misunderstood "improvement" to off-road ability going and comes with a steep cost to other aspects of the vehicle's use.
    Like what kind of real world useful gains, other than making your wallet lighter? Just curious...
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

So I went over to Full Size Chevy forums......there is no way I am doing a full lift unless I will the lottery or something. Rough Country leveling kit seems to be the only way to go.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/...ml#post3261889

What year is your silverado? I have an 03 2500HD and am putting on a leveling kit, which will clear 35's with minimal wheel well cutting (just the rubber shit that doesn't do anything) which will give me a hell of a lot more clearance. If you are looking for a full suspension lift, good luck, IFS suck dick to lift and you will need to re-align your front end after almost every trail ride that is worth driving, if I had the cash I'd swap out the front end for a dana 60, but im a broke college student so leveling kit it is

A lift will yeild improved approach, departure and breakover angles as well as increase the absolute amount of frame/body clearance. Additionally, on an IFS truck you'll get better front diff clearance.

And while they come with the as mentioned problems they don't come with the big tire problems.

Besides, I'm betting that his truck's stock tire size is damn close to or greater than 31" high. 31s already should provide a totally functional amount of axle clearance. More than enough for what Phish intends, after all he did not buy an off roading beast.

To get a whole big inch of add'l hub height (and therefore rear diff clearance) would require a step up to something 33"s in diameter and 35"s to get a big two inches. BFD, that gets expensive (and recurringly expensive) fast, hurts mileage more and which most vehicles are not equipped to really clear stock (read need a lift anyway)…plus the added driveline/breaking stress from such large/heavy tires. All for something that in 95% of normal/mild offroad situations can be overcome by better aim rather than hoping to clear a rock under the pumpkin in the first place.

Not only that but once you start talking about tires taller than ~32ish then you start talking about tires that only come in comparatively wider sizes so you start moving into territory where the tire takes away from the functionality of the vehicle in more normal daily driving situations.

Whatever, I think that at the end of the day the build you put on a vehicle must reflect the conditions you want to use it for and I can certainly see applications that less susp lift and more tire lift are good, but I think most people don't fit that situation and just blindly slap big ass meats on their truck "cuz they look cool"
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

get a total chaos kit and JUMP that bitch

seriously, a small body lift and a little bit bigger tires will probably serve you just fine. Gives you all the advantages LB mentioned (approach/departure angle, body clearance) plus it's cheap and easy to take off later on, and you don't mess with the stock suspension. Most of the lifted trucks you see probably just have body lifts. Don't worry most girlies don't know the difference either
    The killer awoke before dawn.
    He put his boots on.

Ok, so it looks like I am gonna go with a leveling kit and maybe a small body lift as well.

Going back to my original question, where should I get this done on the Front Range?

^^ I reccomend a phone book

Quote Originally Posted by P_McPoser View Post
    ^^ I reccomend a phone book

Duh. I am asking because referrals generally mean that the place does a good job.

A fancy ad in the Yellow Pages tells me nothing about the shop's legitimacy.

Confucious say .... when truck go higher up in air

Driver still unemployed

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, don't want to read everything, but check with your service writer about lifts and warranties. Don't know about Chevy but Nissan has been known void your warranty if you put a lift on. Xterra's have been having fuel sending issues and have not been replacing the problem parts due to an installed lift. That's Nissan though.

loJack Guest
    thats interesting ... ever notice how the guys that run the shops that take yer money run stock vehicles?
    I gues you have never been to Les Schwab in Hailey,ID.

Quote Originally Posted by loJack View Post
    I gues you have never been to Les Schwab in Hailey,ID.
    Les Schwab is hardly a performance shop. 90% of those dweebs can't change their own oil... but they sure can install some bling-ass wheels!
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

Quote Originally Posted by nick > jesus View Post
    also (you might not care about this) it really drops your resale value

Actually what I have found it actually raises it if you get some nice tires and rims to go with the lift. get that bad boy lifted PHISH!!

Ohh yea and go to 4wheelparts.com , they have a headquarters in Denver I would recommend getting it lifted there. Best o' luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ImSearchingforPowder View Post
    Actually what I have found it actually raises it if you get some nice tires and rims to go with the lift. get that bad boy lifted PHISH!!

Ohh yea and go to 4wheelparts.com , they have a headquarters in Denver I would recommend getting it lifted there. Best o' luck.
    4Wheel Parts Wholesalers SUCKS. Don't go near there. (Any of them. They are a chain of suckitude.)

Find a local 4x4 club, ask them for recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by ImSearchingforPowder View Post
    Actually what I have found it actually raises it if you get some nice tires and rims to go with the lift.
    BS....take 2 identical trucks one lifted and one stock, and run them through the sale lanes at an auction. The stocker will bring more money every time.

I have found they do quality work, but people have different opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by jbc28 View Post
    BS....take 2 identical trucks one lifted and one stock, and run them through the sale lanes at an auction. The stocker will bring more money every time.

look on eGay the lifted are going for way more than stock/

Lifted

Stock

My point exactly.
    Last edited by ImSearchingforPowder; 05-22-2008 at 09:32 PM.

Ebay does not drive the market.

Quote Originally Posted by BakerBoy View Post
    ...You've been Gosey'd, and you need a phone call from Brett.
    That was funny.

Seems like if your really looking to wheel your new truck, I'd invest in some body protection first. Even with a mild lift and a bigger tire size, that long wheelbase truck will be vulnerable to getting bashed in. Some rock sliders for the side would be the wisest investment. But only if your really gonna wheel it.

That was the first modification I made with my truck and it has saved my doors and thousands of $$$ in body work many times.

Leveling kits for our trucks = bad news. All they are, are new torsion bar keys that reclock your springs and gain you some lift. While they do jack up the front end of the truck they also fuck up yoour suspension geometry because you didn't drop your diff or get longer upper A-arms. This will make it hard to align your front end properly and you'll wear out CV's and tires faster. Shocks too unless you get the proper length shocks for your new ride height. The Cognito leveling kit is an exception to this rule but for the amount of money they want for that you may as well lift the truck properly.

Body lifts can also be a pain in the rear. For one depending on how high you go things like your steering linkages, shift linkages, brake lines and other wires, etc will/may need to be lengthened. Also typically body lifts are just small pucks. so now all the weight of your cab and your bed is sitting on small plastic pucks instead of the length of the frame. Lots more PSI in a small area will eventually lead to your pucks punching holes in your body and your bed especially if you're driving loaded over rough terrain a lot. I've seen it happen more than once.

If you need to go higher do it right the first time and save yourself the money, hassle, and headaches that the cheaper "solutions" will end up giving you.

Which gm do you have? 1500? 2500hd?
    Last edited by PNW Skier; 05-22-2008 at 09:58 PM.

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Quote Originally Posted by PNW Skier View Post
    ...so now all the weight of your cab and your bed is sitting on small plastic pucks instead of the length of the frame. Lots more PSI in a small area will eventually lead to your pucks punching holes in your body and your bed especially if you're driving loaded over rough terrain a lot. I've seen it happen more than once.
    Your truck came from the factory with the body sitting on the body mounts, which are rubber and isolate the body from the frame to smooth out vibrations and allow the frame to flex independent of the body. The cab never sits on the length of the frame. Adding pucks just makes the body mounts taller, it's still attached the same way to the same points. The bed may have a few more points of contact with the frame which might no longer be in contact after installing a body lift, but if he ever decides to haul rock he can get some 3x3 square tubing welded to the top of the frame and get those points back in contact.
    The killer awoke before dawn.
    He put his boots on.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

I talked to a guy who runs a diesal shop doing engine mods ,he runs a stock 97 cummins ... sez there are no problems that way

The shop I go to built a truck that ran in Baja. His personal truck was used as the chase vehicle.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by khakis View Post
    Your truck came from the factory with the body sitting on the body mounts, which are rubber and isolate the body from the frame to smooth out vibrations and allow the frame to flex independent of the body. The cab never sits on the length of the frame. Adding pucks just makes the body mounts taller, it's still attached the same way to the same points. The bed may have a few more points of contact with the frame which might no longer be in contact after installing a body lift, but if he ever decides to haul rock he can get some 3x3 square tubing welded to the top of the frame and get those points back in contact.

Riight, good point. So the cab and bed are on rubber isolators. My bad. The point I was trying to make is that I've seen bad body lifts done and punch right through the floorboards. Last week my friends cab had a nice rearward lean to it because all of the body lift pucks on the back of the cab punched through the floor and it was hinging on the front body mounts. Made for some exciting noises driving down the road...