Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

No thread about the big inbound-slide on Blackcomb??

At 7pm I think three days ago there were this massive slide just under the glacier chair. Luckely this happened late after closing but still. If that would have happened during the day I bet someone would have got caught. It was really deep also.

wow, you know it was a rotten year in the NW when that kind of stuff rips out in area during the spring cycle.

woah! that's freaky-deaky! wet slide? who's got more info?

It'd gotta be a wet slab. There were freezing levels above 15,000 feet in Wa so I assume it was cooking there as well.

There's not too much to say. The snow's isothermic - it ain't getting any stronger and stuff like this is going to keep ripping out. I have pics emailed of Flute, Disease Ridge, Heavenly all going to the Dec 4th layer. Might do one more corn day in WB inbounds but otherwise its bike time

32 degrees celsius in Whistler Village this weekend. Crazy! The whole area was closed the day after anyhow. Both glacier chair and jearsey cream.

Some more spring carnage from the North Cascades

And looking for more:

You fuckers are still open?!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Damn - I called the snow phone this morning (by accident) and heard the alpine was closed for "extreme avalanche danger". They were not kidding. That is a huge slide, especially for in bounds. Be safe up there.

hey leelau, can you post those other pictures you have? i can't be bothered going back up the mountain at this point..

Wow they actually use a cannon to do avy control work! Thats incredible as well as that slide, good thing nobody was caught.

That is a scary slide. Very large crown.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Its not really that suprrising that those early season PWL are starting to pop out. they were bound to go at some time. its just taken a while for the snow to turn isothermal that deep

Quote Originally Posted by born2snowboard99 View Post
    Wow they actually use a cannon to do avy control work! Thats incredible as well as that slide, good thing nobody was caught.
    recoilless rifles are used as an integral part of a lot of government control programs in the states and even at some ski hills. in Canada they are only used on HWY1 trough Rogers Pass. I used to think hand charging was fun until I started working in the pass and went out to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by born2snowboard99 View Post
    They use a tank at Stevens Pass.

So where exactly was the Blackcomb slide? Is it somewhere around the Secret Bowl area?

Here's a closeup of the Heavenly Basin slide - that's just to skiers left of Glacier Chair - ran from just above the cat-track pretty far

Here's Flute - that went big and ran really far

and Disease ridge

crossing the cat track, thats something you don't see every day

wow, thats impressive. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eirikainersharp View Post
    recoilless rifles are used as an integral part of a lot of government control programs in the states and even at some ski hills. in Canada they are only used on HWY1 trough Rogers Pass. I used to think hand charging was fun until I started working in the pass and went out to shoot.

Just an FYI, that is NOT a recoilless rifle, it is a howitzer. I am not aware of recoilless rifles being used much anymore due to ammunition and safety issues.

Canadian Forces no longer use their 106mm recoilless rifle, retiring them from Reserve duty in 1988. I bet you were shooting a C2 or C3 105mm howitzer
    Last edited by Gripen; 05-22-2008 at 10:41 AM.

The propogation on those avalanches is crazy!!! And right to the Dec 4th crust .... holy!

Jesus, I just skied that run about 3 weeks ago. We knew it was going to be a bad slide period though in the PNW with the hot temps and still active Dec 5 crust. I guess it just shows how bad it can be right now; spooky.

Jersey Cream Bowl:

wow was skiing that the day before.... (looks like everything we were skiing went BIG)

Saw so many people with big packs headed out for over night trips while up there too..
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow"

Moment skis

Damn girl. Thanks for posting photos.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

forest Guest
    thats pretty scary. Thinking about how much skier compaction there has been on those slopes all year whatever layer it was is still in play. The Flute slide is nuts. Guess we'll be climbing in the dark and drinking beers in the parking lot by 9 AM this spring. Time to go Nocturnal.