Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by snowsprite View Post
    It's on though--I want to catch me a delicious bass--and I will!
    Another bass tip:
    Get yourself some SERIOUS spices....
    "Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

My Flickr Photostream

Yay! Weekend's coming...and there WILL be pics!

Sprite

Just not of any fish

our main boat is down for repairs...this is what we did having no motor for either..makes sense...when the weight of the world on your shoulders, what do you do???? hey let's paint the boat!!

Now who has a 15 or 20 hp outboard to sell us? I've been all over ebay and craigslist and these are as rare as a 3 armed acrobatic hooker.

There must be a boating-related-gear for sale forum for EC. But I'm too busy w/ school to look. Anyone w/ a linky, post it up please.

That was a hell of a fun paint job! I enjoyed the collaboration, EW. We could be on to something.

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

I got a line on an 18 hp....I think we're in the wrong thread...think I'll move the boat pics later

I also have dock space for rent on Lake Bomoseen. Who wants it?

My best tip for you is threefold

Bait- Slug-gos or Yamamotos. Jerk bait/soft stick bait is not only tough and can withstand multiple catches, the "dying minnow" is absolutely irresistable to bass, both large and small.

Geography- I look for weed beds in water between 6-8 feet deep for the 2-3 lb'ers, and off the shelves for the bigger guys. Also anyplace there's trees hanging far over the water, or fallen completely into it. Bass love cover. I was working bass weed beds this weekend in about 8-10 feet of water, with the weeds stopping about 2-3 feet under the surface and between me and a buddy we pulled out more than four dozen L&Smouths. It helps to have a boat.

Time of day- early morning or later afternoon is best, when the shadows start to creep away from the shore, and when the shadow's edge is about where you'd like to be casting, have at it. Work the jerkbait along the shadow's edge to flash the light, and the pwnage should unfurl before you. The sun is needed to make the bait flash, but the fish love the shadows.

Obviously, this is just a starter butit should get you moving. Good luck and if you ever want to come to MA for some back pond fishin' hit me up! I have a dingie and will show you the best spots 'round here!
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

I've used nothing but artificials since I was a kid.

I use 1 of the following 3 lures / methods to help establish what I *should* be using:

Texas-rigged Culprits: Motor Oil or Tomato. I do occasionally use a bullet weight depending on depth, but 90% of the time, it's weightless w/ nothing more than a Gamakatsu. A 6" culprit will yield the most action, but if I'm pulling 12"s-16"s, I'll go to a 7.5". I've tried a couple different salt-impregnated varieties & I do believe the bass hold onto those just a moment longer than unsalted/unscented..(imo)

Heddon Tiny Torpedos: I never lose with these & topwater for bass is by FAR some of the most exciting fishing. TT in both frog & perch colors. I've taken bass in everything from 6" of water to 20'+ with these. My favorite is to parallel cast along a log,brushpile,hydrilla shoreline, etc. Let it sit 15secs., then give it the slightest twitch & use a varied retreive. Just don't keep the line too slack, cuz they will bust this lure at any time.

(Along these same lines - I have great luck using Moss Mice or Moss Frogs. Throw it into the thickest, nastiest pads you can find & retrieve slowly. Oh...and hold on tight.)

Spinner baits: White or Chartreuse w/ both a Colorado & a willow blade. Rip it all the way in. (Keep it submerged, but w/ a fast retreive)

Take a dozen casts or so & see which style of bait & retreive is getting the most attention. Then keep a couple rods rigged up with the top 2 choices.
    We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need? ~ Lee Iacocca

obviously not a bass.... but to Spritey I'd like to say...yuk, yuk :-)))

edit:
    i’m totally baffled by the top pic...i was in the canoe alone fri evening out to catch bass and within minutes this rainbow takes the spinner bait, it’s a stocked fish and won’t survive the summer in this shallow lake anyway so I figured i’m gonna eat em but have no stringer, bucket or other. I was trying to figure out how to keep him fresh while i continue on the journey for bass....was coming up with zilch so fiured well at least take a shot for spritey who to this day goes troutless. In the second pic it’s obvious from the reflection in the water that my other pole was rigged with a jitterbug. In the first pic i’m holding the line in one hand and taking the shot with the camera in the other. I’d given up on finding anything to tie him off with...i’m baffled because i can’t figure out why in the first pic there appears to be a lure just to the left of said fish. There was no one on shore at the time casting towards me and as can be seen my only other other pole was rigged with a jitterbug...i don’t get it. fuckn weird. No stringer, nothing found or hanging ready to tie him off..wtf?

edit #2
    I went thru two lure boxes trying to find the lure in question...
    I have come to the only conclusion possible..
    it is evidence of a higher being....there is no doubt that on this eve the cosmos have conspired on this very lake to show there is meaning to all the madness of life on this planet by dangling a silver lure alongside the trout I was taking a pic of....
    I submit it is irrefutable proof
    Last edited by EarlyWood; 07-01-2008 at 05:14 AM.

Question

Not to refute your "higher being" claim, but....

I submit it's one of two things:

1) It CLEARLY looks like a silver spoon with a red bead tied off at the loop..You probably didn't find it because you were so excited about catching a trout on a friggin' bass-only lure that you begain flailing & sent the one & only silver spoon you had in your box to the bottom of the lake.

OR

2) Because of the angle, it LOOKS like a silver spoon (sans treble hook, might I add) when it FACT, it is a........................................I dunno. A thingamadoodad that's attached to another ITEM in your box? Like a manufacturer hang tag? Was it hanging from a line cutter? Was it hanging from a net??
    We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need? ~ Lee Iacocca

Quote Originally Posted by EPSkis View Post
    Not to refute your "higher being" claim, but....

1)You probably didn't find it because you were so excited about catching a trout on a friggin' bass-only lure that you begain flailing & sent the one & only silver spoon you had in your box to the bottom of the lake.

:-))))

nother weird thing in that pic very most upper left corner..i can't figure this shit out...there looks to be a pole...neither pole of mine in canoe are that color

anyway, i'm impressed EPSkis that you have taken the time to recognize the cosmic relevance ... like the virgin mary on a cracker

Quote Originally Posted by EarlyWood View Post

Are you sure it isn't just the blade (silver lure) and wire (pole) of your spinner bait? That's what it looks like to me.

Sorry, I don't meaning to douse your conjurings of a higher being.

Also, when I don't have a stringer and I want to keep a fish (rarely), I just snip a length of line off my spool and use that as a stringer.

----------------------------
    Oh yea, bass tips. Drop shot rig using mojo weights and Berkley Gulp minnows.

Holy fukn shit, hartzejr...that is so obvious. EPskis, where the fuck were you on that?
    I think I do see the virgin mary though

... yeah I was going to use some line but figured it'd rip the shit out him so I let him go

wow...i can't even back outta this one :-)))) i've lost all faith
    Last edited by EarlyWood; 07-01-2008 at 02:20 PM.

waiiiiiiiit. Now I see it

^^^^Now there's a quality bass lure!!!

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

Quote Originally Posted by hartzejr View Post
    waiiiiiiiit. Now I see it

LMAO!

I can't believe I didn't pick up on it being the spinner....Duh.

Hey snowsprite- I was just reading above and where you were talking about cookin up some delicious Bass- many people don't like bass, but I love it. It can be bland, but that's easy to get around. Here's my fav way to cook it. Real simple and always comes out awesome!

Note: Try to stress the fish as little as possible while handling it- when they get super stressed it makes their meat taste like hell. Livewells help, but try to be gentle even when you're planning to gut it in a few minutes.

Scramble eggs in bowl
    Spread breadcrumbs in plate
    dip fish (fillet, not the whole thing) in egg, then lay on breadcrumbs, effectively breading entire fillet.
    Pan fry in butter. Lots of butter.
    Voila! Super easy, gets nice and flaky/tender, tastes great, good for you (well, except for the butter but whatever).

Wish me luck- I'm headed up to Quabbin Resivoir next week to chase the state largemouth record (caught at Quabbin, I believe 22 lbs-WOW!) with one of my best friends and hardcore fishing partner. Not that I will be puling in a monster like that, but meh, it's nice to dream and fish for 12 hours!
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Something fearsome is going to break the water's surface this weekend. It better fkn work because the only bass I've caught so far was only like 4 inches and the little sucker jumped off my hook!

How's everyone else's bassing going?

btw...this little action I got was off a bent minnow shaped spoon lure w/ a triple hook. Oddly, it didn't pick up much in the way of weeds which was key as this little lake is quite weedy this summah.

Sprite

How's everyone else's bassing going?

About the same pretty soon I am going to have to buy a goddammed fish and put it on my hook.

Maybe I will have better luck this weekend.

always fashionable

I'm going to give you guys a bass fishing tip I just learned yesterday...

When pulling in a bass, don't let your greed and excitement get the best of you such that you yank the damned hook out of the fish's mouth.

This happpened twice. Two decent sized bass that would have been my only 2 decent bass of the season. GRRRRRRRR!!!!

Sprite

The best tip I can give is the secret of finess fishing. Take a bent shaft (forget the size but fairly large) tie on a worm, color is dependent on clarity of the water, just try several colors and figure it out. Anyways, cast it out there as far as you can, won't be very far since there is no weight. Let it sink for about 4 or 5 seconds and then jerk and take in the slack. Repeat till you get a bite. Set the hook to the side, up never works well. Works amazingly for spawning bass and times when they are lathargic (starting to get cold).

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by GoEhuge View Post
    5 inch Gary Yamamoto Senko. Color depends on where and when.. but I've always been a fan of the dark green w/ yellow tail, or pumkpin. These put most other soft plastics to shame.
    BINGO!
    HO-MO baits are just like fishing with M-80's
    or azar spook!
    T-slow retreve!
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

Live bait well

Cast Net

Threadfin Shad

Hook through nose using a #8 treble hook, no sinker.

Pitch into cover, retrieving slowly.

Hang on.

Although a lot of trouble to maintain, live bait always works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Turner View Post
    BINGO!
    HO-MO baits are just like fishing with M-80's
    or azar spook!
    T-slow retreve!

Yeah, Senkos are great fish catchers until you fish heavily pressured waters where everybody and their brother is throwing senkos. Then you gotta adapt. Throw a senko in the waters around where I live and the fish are all like "You gotta be fucking KIDDING me!!!"
    Of all the muthafuckas on earth, you the muthafuckest.

Quote Originally Posted by snow_slider View Post
    Yeah, Senkos are great fish catchers until you fish heavily pressured waters where everybody and their brother is throwing senkos. Then you gotta adapt. Throw a senko in the waters around where I live and the fish are all like "You gotta be fucking KIDDING me!!!"
    No, you just suck at bass fishing.