Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Maggot Fly Swap Thread

How about we start a new thread for this. Seems like there are a handful of us interested. Maybe more will join in.

Being that we are located all over, streamers of some sort would prolly be the best first swap, IMO. ???? Pretty universal unless you get into the salt specific shit.

What do you think? How many? Etc....

Fishing Forum's first Sticky?

Quote Originally Posted by 72Twenty View Post
    Fishing Forum's first Sticky?
    The Fishing Forum is taking over TGR.

i'm in for sure.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

count me in as well...who is going to run it? and what should our theme be? Streamers? Caddis? Stimulators?

I'm in but I don't tie many streamers, but now might be a good time to start. I do tie some mean caddis' though . What're the rules? Tie and trade 10 flies to one person and someone else sends you ten and so on? Give it a week and then get this show on the road? Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by hartzejr View Post
    I'm in but I don't tie many streamers, but now might be a good time to start. I do tie some mean caddis' though . What're the rules? Tie and trade 10 flies to one person and someone else sends you ten and so on? Give it a week and then get this show on the road? Thoughts?
    Well, I tie alotta woolly buggers and leaches, and I can always use some caddis... I just haven't attempted to tie the caddis pattern yet.

I'm voting for streamer patterns for the fist go around.

I'll be the organizer IF there are no other volunteers.

I agree we outta get the show on the road if it's going to happen.

Count me in. My flies aren't the greatest, but I'd give it a shot!

720-Caddis are probably my favorite tie. They are much easier than they look, and you can really be creative to match what ever bug your finding on the river (color, size, wing). I like to tie a low water version with hardly any hackle on the bottom of the fly with some antron hanging off the end. The antron is supposed to look like the shuck the fly just dropped (or so I was told).
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't
    help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs...

GGL - How's the fishin' out your way?

I would like to by some flies until i can get on the tying.
    Since then it's been a book you read in reverse, so you understand less as the pages turn.

The things you find on the net.

I'm in. I tie (and fish) streamers this time of year. Think classic New England/Maritimes patterns, new local patterns (Pink Floyd!), plus old reliable bucktails. I can also tie not-tiny nymphs and dries -- EHCs and featherwings, plus stimulator types.

I've done a swap before. Organizationally, we counted how many participants there were -- let's say N participants. Each person picked a pattern, and then tied 2*N flies of that pattern. All flies were mailed to the organizer, who then put 2 of each pattern together and mailed packets out to the participants. It worked well enough. This group uses a very similar method for tying contests, except you only send 2 exemplars to the organizer, who takes set-up photos and posts them online for forum members to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I'm in. I tie (and fish) streamers this time of year. Think classic New England/Maritimes patterns, new local patterns (Pink Floyd!), plus old reliable bucktails. I can also tie not-tiny nymphs and dries -- EHCs and featherwings, plus stimulator types.

I've done a swap before. Organizationally, we counted how many participants there were -- let's say N participants. Each person picked a pattern, and then tied 2*N flies of that pattern. All flies were mailed to the organizer, who then put 2 of each pattern together and mailed packets out to the participants. It worked well enough. This group uses a very similar method for tying contests, except you only send 2 exemplars to the organizer, who takes set-up photos and posts them online for forum members to vote.
    I like this idea.

Edit:

I can doo woolly buggers, San Juan Worms and/or scuds. That's about all I sorta have the hang of right now.

schwerty- no fishing here right now. Idaho rivers close for the months of April and May. Silver Creek should fish fantastic this spring (brown drakes should be awesome!), but the wood river will take until July to fish well. We've had a super cold spring so run off is going to take forever this year.
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't
    help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs...

That's what I figured GGL. Runoff is gonna be long over here too.

I vote for Yeti for the swap organizer.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    I vote for Yeti for the swap organizer.
    Seconded....

How should we organize the name list? Any ideas Yeti? Should we do it in a thread, or should we set up an email list and do it that way? I haven't done anything like this before, but I like the idea.

I've had good luck with the email list before.

Something tells me Yeti might be a bit surprised to find out he's in the front running as the organizer.

i have a crapload of saltwater flies that are just sitting around gathering dust. They were all purchased for bonefishing in Boca Paila, north of Ascension Bay, Mexico. Wish I could get back, but it might be a while.

bonefish flies
    permit flies
    tarpon flies

they're available for trade, I guess. Living in Oregon makes trout flies more appealing. So these are up for trade.

Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

^^^ Talk to Andy_B about those.

Ok, so let's get a count of who's in on the fly swap. I'm up for tying the 2 for each person thing, then sending them to an organizer that distributes them out to the participants. I'll do 2 sets of woolly buggers. I can also do 2 sets of San Juan worms, but that would mean I am contributing 4 flies to each person. Should we all do 4 flies? Like 2 sets of patterns?

Not sure what flies i would need to get yet for tarpon...

But... Why not set up a google document that every one can see?
    Since then it's been a book you read in reverse, so you understand less as the pages turn.

The things you find on the net.

I can probably do four depending on how many people sign up. I just started a new position and am working 10+ hr days including most Saturdays but if we set a deadline, I'll meet it.

How do you guys like this scenario. Working scenario but a start.

<10 people - 4 flies
    10 - 14 people - 3 flies
    15 - 25 people - 2 flies
    >25 people - 1 or 2 flies, tier's choice

Here's a list of who is in now.

1. Schwerty
    2.72twenty
    3. fez
    4.iskipowder21
    5. hartzejr
    6.G.Gordon Liddy
    7. Yeti
    8. Andy B (you can just buy some for the trade )
    Any others or anyone crapout who's currently in?

Quote Originally Posted by 72Twenty View Post
    ^^^ Talk to Andy_B about those.

Ok, so let's get a count of who's in on the fly swap. I'm up for tying the 2 for each person thing, then sending them to an organizer that distributes them out to the participants. I'll do 2 sets of woolly buggers. I can also do 2 sets of San Juan worms, but that would mean I am contributing 4 flies to each person. Should we all do 4 flies? Like 2 sets of patterns?
    I am down for the two sets as long as we keep the the number of people involved relatively low ie. 10 or less. Lets each do a streamer and then something else simple like a nymph or dry

So

72Twenty - woolly bugger and san juan worm
    iskipowder21-slump buster and soft hackle hares ear

hahaha little late with my post but hartzejr has the right idea!!

I'll do a parachute BWO and this jig head streamer that's killer in stillwater.