RMNP, estes park car camp beta

this august my dad wants to meet me in estes park. the shocking part is that he wants to "camp-out", which is hard to believe, considering that the last time he roughed it just a little bit was 30 yrs. ago. he'll be driving out with his wife, and my brother who has a good supply of car-camping gear. i'll be bringing whatever gear i can fly in with.
    i was just wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some scenic, less-populated campgrounds, developed or not, in the RMNP "area"? i've only been thru that park once before. is trailridge rd. the only road into the park? we will be in a suv of some sort so 4x4 access would be ok too. i would rather steer them clear of the park due to thick aug. crowds if i could, but whatever, i can combat camp too....

Camping inside the park is pretty pricey and probably won't yield much seclusion. Around the Estes area they have really clamped down on the free camping too, although there is some which tends to attract a lot of red necks.

I usually camp in a forest service campground which is south of the Long's Peak trailhead, just south of the St. Malo church. I think it is called Olive Ridge, there are a couple campgrounds down in that area and I can't remember the exact names of each right now. You have good park access and the camping is pretty nice there too. PM me if you have specific questions, I can get you more specific info as your trip gets closer too.

P
    I don't like being outdoors Smithers, for one thing, there's too many fat children.

- Mr. Burns