Page 23 of 63 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    That's a good link.

I find the grill + stone does a far better job on the crust than an oven--just way too much air to heat up in an oven.
    That's the beauty of the skillet-broiler method; you're not heating up all the air in the oven. You're putting the pizza 1" below the broiler and just getting the direct blast of heat to the top that way (and the blast of heat to the bottom by preheating the iron pan on a burner). No need to preheat the oven at all.

I should experiment more with the grill. My problem was that, every time you open the top, you lose all the ambient heat and there's no heat source directly from above, so the bottom of the pizza cooks too fast and the top never gets nicely charred.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    That's the beauty of the skillet-broiler method; you're not heating up all the air in the oven. You're putting the pizza 1" below the broiler and just getting the direct blast of heat to the top that way (and the blast of heat to the bottom by preheating the iron pan on a burner). No need to preheat the oven at all.

I should experiment more with the grill. My problem was that, every time you open the top, you lose all the ambient heat and there's no heat source directly from above, so the bottom of the pizza cooks too fast and the top never gets nicely charred.
    Hmm...interesting--1" seems real close though. I'm afraid my electric convection oven would torch it?

I'm using a Weber propane with a ceramic stone (I've IR'd the stone and its about 700F before I toss the pizza on) and as long as I'm not loading up the top with watery toppings it cooks evenly. I've never made one in a charcoal or kettle type grill.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I did a fewonderful last weekend on the grill.

A chimney of lump charcoal, plus a hickory log chopped up. Once it burned down I had the thermometer pegged.

Cast iron stone.

Only problem was for some dumb reason I tried flour on the peel. It stuck a bit then. Instantly burned to the stone. Top easy great in 5 minutes, but had to scrape the black off.

Did another the next day with cornmeal, perfect.

get an avatar dude, we have no idea what you look like

First at bat with the new outdoor pizza oven and also tried to do the Neopolitain style. Both are a learning curve.

I ate pizza.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qffa70d.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	290760
    watch out for snakes

My family says there’s no such thing as bad pizza.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I had a bit too much charcoal in the bin, crust was too thick and the San Marzono diced maters added too much liquid. The crust char was actually tasty, basil pesto and sprinkles with the thick sliced mozz cheese worked well.

The gas burner may be the way to go, stone was a bit fiddly as room to maneuver is tight.

I really like the portability of the oven and was able to hit 850F+ on the fire box. My IR thermo is maxed out above 900F.
    watch out for snakes

watch out for snakes

So I made some pies with it and see the possibilities. I did the extended fridge time for the dough, not totally sure if it made a big enough difference. It was definitely harder to work with getting it off the peel and on to the stone. It is a bit tight for space but it does keep the heat in. I think I will go back to my regular way of doing the dough and work it to be closer to Neo style. I love the San Marzano maters and the chunk style mozz with basil. I ended up using basil pesto instead of basil leaf since I had a hard time finding basil leaf in any stores.

I am still getting used to using it but have made my first Neopolitain pies with it and plan to use it for more of the same. I did the first batch with charcoal and the second with the propane burner installed. I like the faster heat up of the burner and the control of turning it down to not burn the crust so much. The charcoal/wood is more traditional and I still plan to use it especially for travel mode. Which leads me to the fact that it is also fairly portable so a car camping trip or haul to a friends house would not be above its abilities.

Overall I like it but sure will like it better once I get it dialed in.
    watch out for snakes

Name:	WhJc3sg.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	854.6 KB 
ID:	292180

Another batch, getting better results each time. Used the gas burner again, this time I had SS 12" plates to use. First one went in all assembled. Dough did not quite get all the way done. Second one I put only the dough in for about a minute or so, turning as it was in. Pulled it out and back in to assemble then back in to finish. That seemed to work out better.

Both crusts got crispy and chewy, had them thin in the middle and thick on the outer edge. I made the dough two days before and went thru that process to be more authentic. I also added a few toppings, mushroom and garlic. The San Marzano maters are tasty but have a lot of excess water. I reckon I need to cook them ahead of time to boil off some of that liquid. I see Amazon has a San Marzano paste, might have to try that.

Any who, fun times in outdoor pizza oven experimentation land here in retirement wurld. At least I eat well.
    watch out for snakes

Two fer

Name:	GXZaSKk.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	948.2 KB 
ID:	293272
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Hmmm packing for a camping trip, I have a couple nice cast iron pans (no dutch oven ) think I could pull off a camp fire cast iron pizza?

Yeah! As long as you've got the kind with lids that are made for holding coals you ought to be good to good. I'd even consider preheating the lid on the fire before putting it on so you could get some good color on the toppings.

Ah, no I see no dutch oven. Then no, I doubt you could get the toppings cooked properly without having a heat source up above.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by ICantLogIn View Post
    Hmmm packing for a camping trip, I have a couple nice cast iron pans (no dutch oven ) think I could pull off a camp fire cast iron pizza?
    buy a dutch oven. Even if it is too late for this trip, buy a dutch oven. You can get a Lodge one for approximately $50 off Amazon, and, once you have it, you'll use it plenty--not just for camping. They work great in the oven, on the stovetop, in a grill, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I usually add warm Guiness and dried herbs into the dough.
    Finding the right Mozzarella is key, NO KRAFT PRODUCTS!!!
    Oven @ 500 on a stone.
    new to this part of TGR forums (DAMN YOU KQ), so just read first and last thread and apologize if this was pointed out in the intervening 21, but it's pretty easy to make mozzarella at home. Takes about an hour, requires a gallon of whole milk, rennet, citric acid and salt. You can order the middle 2 off Amazon for just a few bucks and you get many batches out of just a small amount. A gallon of milk uses 1/4 teaspoon of one and 1/4 teaspoon of the other. Give it a whirl, and you will hesitate to go back to storebought. It freezes fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    new to this part of TGR forums (DAMN YOU KQ), so just read first and last thread and apologize if this was pointed out in the intervening 21, but it's pretty easy to make mozzarella at home. Takes about an hour, requires a gallon of whole milk, rennet, citric acid and salt. You can order the middle 2 off Amazon for just a few bucks and you get many batches out of just a small amount. A gallon of milk uses 1/4 teaspoon of one and 1/4 teaspoon of the other. Give it a whirl, and you will hesitate to go back to storebought. It freezes fine too.
    Bwahahahaha... welcome to the dark side!

You need to post up a pic of that cool new outdoor oven you have.

Hey guys... check this out:

30%OFF on Cast Iron & Open-Fire Cooking Accessories
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Bwahahahaha... welcome to the dark side!

You need to post up a pic of that cool new outdoor oven you have.

Hey guys... check this out:

30%OFF on Cast Iron & Open-Fire Cooking Accessories
    well, ok then, although they will probably come out sideways.

Name:	oven 1.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	294501Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oven 2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	294502

ETA: Sure enough!

well, ok then, although they will probably come out sideways.

Name:	oven 1.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	294503

Name:	oven 2.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	294504

ETA: Sure enough!
    I got your back!
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

thanks! Hook me up in the summer camping pics thread too pls.

thanks! Hook me up in the summer camping pics thread too pls.
    I think we need some pics of that oven in action. Do you think you could bake bread in it? Seems like you could.

Quote Originally Posted by ICantLogIn View Post
    It worked, I cooked the crust for a bit first then added sauce and cheese. I used the lid from the lobsta pot and put coals on that. It was great.

Slowly getting my dough down. I need to bake the dough first next time and ill be content. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190930_194844.jpeg 
Views:	66 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	295932

Sent from my SM-G973U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by japanada View Post
    Slowly getting my dough down. I need to bake the dough first next time and ill be content. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190930_194844.jpeg 
Views:	66 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	295932
    That looks tasty!

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    I think we need some pics of that oven in action. Do you think you could bake bread in it? Seems like you could.
    Yes, I made bread in it the first weekend I had it in action, which was mid-July. I'm gonna get back at that thing in the next week or 2. It's finally forecast to cool down to something approaching normal Friday. Highs today, W and Th are 97, 99 and 98. Not exactly fire building weather.

Yes, I made bread in it the first weekend I had it in action, which was mid-July. I'm gonna get back at that thing in the next week or 2. It's finally forecast to cool down to something approaching normal Friday. Highs today, W and Th are 97, 99 and 98. Not exactly fire building weather.
    Wow, can't believe it's still that warm. We've been having freeze warnings at night and daytime highs in the mid-50s.