Page 43 of 63 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1555
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Saw a hint on stretching on a cooking show I need to try. They had the dough in a plastic container. After they took it out of the fridge and let it warm to room temp, they then put the container in a 100F water bath to warm the dough more. She used the fist method of stretching which I've tried but with my fists in the middle which is a no no. She had her fists near the edge of the dough as she turned it. Definitely rounder than my pizzas.
    So what you are saying is that she prefers the friction of the fists closer to the edges.

Skin isn’t the end of a dough ball. If it bothers you, you can roll it into the interior of the dough ball.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Skin isn’t the end of a dough ball. If it bothers you, you can roll it into the interior of the dough ball.
    Oh trust me, I did that. But, by working the dough to cover the skin it doesn’t stretch as well. I still cooked it and it was great, but it was pretty thicc, Booner style rather than MTM.

For my bypass balls I kinda use a tactic like Goat describes. I mix the dough in my kitchen aide, two hour room temp proof, then work it a bit, ball at 250g balls into individual tupperware containers and into the fridge for 24 hours or so.

I get up in the morning, microwave a couple of those fabric rice pouches, put them in the bottom of a cooler and put the tupperware containers on top of the warm rice pouches. Just enough heat in the cooler to keep the dough warm in all weather conditions.

So my Wife’s bday gift, the Ooni 16, showed up ! Unboxing tomorrow.
    Any advice as to dough? I get it that the Ooni is high temp Neapolitan style but if you don’t want that, how does it work?
    Lower temp? Less flop? How bout side to side, crust to crust toppings?
    Anyone fired up beef or pork at 900* with good results?

This was a better birthday gift than last years fancy vacuum! Unfortunately, I have to use bith

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    Any advice as to dough? I get it that the Ooni is high temp Neapolitan style but if you don’t want that, how does it work?

This was a better birthday gift than last years fancy vacuum! Unfortunately, I have to use bith
    If that oven works as well as our local pizza joint's woodfired one, you should try making pork shanks with roasted 'taters. Holy shit are those tasty...

It’s four ingredients, flour, water, salt, yeast. There are many variations of percentages and types of each, (other than water, although I’m sure some will think that matters as well), but it’s pretty simple. Like baking it’s more of a science than the art of cooking. Just experiment and see what works best for you.

I’m still trying to perfect neopolitan, after I get that shit dialed I’ll probably give NY style a try. I haven’t yet tried biga or poolish, but I’m sure I’ll eventually give it a go.

It’s fun and a new thing to try, mine has been camping riverside on the Green, tailgating at Snowbird and on our back patio. It travels well and doesn’t seem to mind banging around in the bed of a pickup. I’ve been rather surprised on how little of gas it uses, a cheapo exchange cylinder will last a lot of cooks!

I don’t have a temp gun, I just set a timer for 30 minutes after lighting it. I launch a pizza and turn it down to low. Cook that pie, extract, turn heat back up for next, repeat process. I haven’t cooked anything but pizza but if you peruse some of the Ooni FB groups you’ll find many people that have and recipes/tactics.

You’re gonna love it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8767.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	218.8 KB 
ID:	375141
    I need to order some 00, but had decent results with bread flour and some of the pro tips here. Stretching dough is tricky.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Y

Name:	20210523_190907-01.jpeg 
Views:	67 
Size:	236.0 KB 
ID:	375428
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    Oh trust me, I did that. But, by working the dough to cover the skin it doesn’t stretch as well. I still cooked it and it was great, but it was pretty thicc, Booner style rather than MTM.

For my bypass balls I kinda use a tactic like Goat describes. I mix the dough in my kitchen aide, two hour room temp proof, then work it a bit, ball at 250g balls into individual tupperware containers and into the fridge for 24 hours or so.

BobMc delivery service be like:

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post

I've used it to sear things like tbone steaks in a cast iron, or to melt some parmesan on top of asparagus. Basically it's like a high power broiler.

You can do new York style pizza in it, it requires lower stone temp, more turning and you want to turn the flame to the ultra low setting to achieve that.

https://youtu.be/024m_mahojo

Skip to 1:15 to see the ultra low flame setting "hack"

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Name:	20210606_180202-01.jpeg 
Views:	84 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	376542
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

camping pizza ftw

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Name:	IMG_8792.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	216.9 KB 
ID:	376712
    Zucchinironi

Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    camping pizza ftw

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    Looks great. But when you bring a $500 oven and an IR temp gun, can you really call it “camping pizza”?

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Looks great. But when you bring a $500 oven and an IR temp gun, can you really call it “camping pizza”?

If you step out of the van, it's camping.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Anyone have a crispy cracker thin crust recipe that they will share? I made the perfect thin and crispy once and can't replicate it, aka can't find the recipe I found while drunk. I can get great thin and crispy, but I want cracker like.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Pizza isn't the only pie. I used my baking stone to make the best pie crust I have ever managed--ie nice flaky bottom crust. I preheated a baking sheet on the pizza stone and put the pie on that--so the bottom crust cooks quickly. I also precooked the cherries and coated the bottom crust with an egg wash. How important each of these tricks was I don't know. Probably precooking the cherries to boil off some of the liquid. Oddly, this didn't seem to affect the baking time.

I have a stone and preheat at 550 for almost an hr. I get great crust, but I'm searching that thin, cracker, flaky crust from forever ago. Making dough rn, 24hr fridge rise, little room temp rest which I find leads to a thinner and crisper crust

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Pizza isn't the only pie. I used my baking stone to make the best pie crust I have ever managed--ie nice flaky bottom crust. I preheated a baking sheet on the pizza stone and put the pie on that--so the bottom crust cooks quickly. I also precooked the cherries and coated the bottom crust with an egg wash. How important each of these tricks was I don't know. Probably precooking the cherries to boil off some of the liquid. Oddly, this didn't seem to affect the baking time.
    I always keep the stone in the oven on the bottom rack for things like this...

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Last one of the night

Name:	20210612_204632-01.jpeg 
Views:	63 
Size:	174.8 KB 
ID:	377024

Burnt the $h1t out of my forearm turning the ooni off the other night. Holy moly, kids, be careful around that oven cuz it gets hot!

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Burnt the $h1t out of my forearm turning the ooni off the other night. Holy moly, kids, be careful around that oven cuz it gets hot!
    Tried to blow some of the excess flour off the front of the stone after taking a pie out...torched eye brows, half mustache gone, and front line of hair gone. Wicked hot.

Have about 2 months with it now and do pizza every friday...Have my dough recipe down and was blown away at how much of a difference 00 Caputo Pizza Flour makes compared to KA Bread Flour, believer now.

Finally succumbed to the super low hack of turning past high towards "off" definitely makes the best compromise of top cooked perfect and bottom cooked through. Heating for 20-30 up to 750-800 in the middle and then turning to low would give me a great top, but if I waited for the bottom to cook the top was char city. Have to go past high and then it cooks perfect.

This actually disappoints me about the product, you'd figure they would have tested and realized that you need a lower temp to get it cooked all the way through. All of the Youtube videos of people cooking in 90seconds on high are fucking suspect to me after my experiences.

Anyone with a steel tried to put it in the Ooni? I haven't even checked to see if mine will fit, but could help cook the bottom quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post

Name:	Image1623807349.396292.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	139.0 KB 
ID:	377258

Been there done that…. Cooking on the Ooni on a cold night and was wearing my beloved Patagucci…. I leaned over the Ooni (did not touch it) to grab an item and when I backed a way one of the kids said I was on fire…. This F’er gets hot and my beloved coat has now turned into a garage coat…

Anybody built a pizza oven at home? Mr Mike maybe? I've got a spot that could make sense to build one as I've been clearing my back yard. And a crate or two of bricks from a kiln I helped take down. But are the oonis or other portable/semi portable ovens good enough that I shouldn't consider it?