Page 34 of 63 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast
    Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Well boys she far exceeded my expectations on the maiden voyage. Cooked 10 pies in her tonight for a dinner party!

The seal around the top of the kettle wasn’t great so I’m sure I can get her up even hotter once I get the fit dialed. In fact one of my buddies is in manufacturing so we are going to work on the design and maybe make a few from steel. Anyone interested in one if we get the design dialed?

The shitty analog temp on the top got up to 675* and she was cooking 12” pies in 7-10 minutes.
    I have so many questions about this. Are you simply using concrete paving stones for the cooking surface or something else? charcoal for the fuel? Is it just a light gauge metal ring to raise the lid? It looks genius to me, especially if you can get temps over 650 degrees.

2nd attempt at the sheet pan method. This time 500* just crust for 12min. Top and return for another 10 min or so. I might go a little longer on the pre cook, but much better crust than last pie. I'll keep trying.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20200930_221350813.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	341909

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    I have so many questions about this. Are you simply using concrete paving stones for the cooking surface or something else? charcoal for the fuel? Is it just a light gauge metal ring to raise the lid? It looks genius to me, especially if you can get temps over 650 degrees.
    I assume it’s just a homebrewed version of the attachment you can buy:

KettlePizza Basic 22.5 - Pizza Oven Kit for 22.5 Inch Kettle Grills. Made in USA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005SFJLOI..._kcrDFb7364KWD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    2nd attempt at the sheet pan method. This time 500* just crust for 12min. Top and return for another 10 min or so. I might go a little longer on the pre cook, but much better crust than last pie. I'll keep trying.

I make a slightly thinner crust sheet pan pizza a few times a month, and I find pre-baking for about 3 minutes at 475 to be more than enough. Do you have an oven thermometer? How are your racks positioned in the oven while you're baking? That seems like a long time for a pre-bake.
    Last edited by glademaster; 09-30-2020 at 05:53 PM.

Yeah, 12m @ 500* should cook the hell out of an untopped crust. Need a couple of these cast iron pans and then you could preheat the crust in the pan on the stove before going into the oven.

https://www.lodgecastiron.com/produc...ron-baking-pan
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Local thrift shop has a wood handled aluminum Pizza Peel in mint condition for $3.99.
    Scooped!

In other news, just made a DIY baking steel with 14" x 19" 3/8" steel plate.
    Took a long time to get the edges smooth (and the sides properly rounded) and the scale off, but it is all pro after seasoning with 3 coats of Flax seed oil.

My math calculations are that it takes somewhere between 12 minutes and 28 minutes to heat the pizza steel to 500F in a convection oven.
    Not sure how long if it is right from turning the oven on. The oven still heats up normally in nearly the same time but that doesn't mean that the steel is in-fact heated throughout. In the process of sourcing an IR thermometer to make sure it is all baked in science.

If pre-cooks the crust lickity split.
    Pizza cooked fully topped and wettish with sauce in about 9 minutes.
    The dough literally rises the first 1 minutes after putting on the steel at 500F.

PS - I should add that it is 24.4 lbs. I put a good 2" space on all sides and large rounded corners to allow for lots of oven convection.

Name:  DWhlBpl.png
Views: 479
Size:  590.4 KB
    Last edited by puregravity; 09-30-2020 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I make a slightly thinner crust sheet pan pizza a few times a month, and I find pre-baking for about 3 minutes at 475 to be more than enough. Do you have an oven thermometer? How are your racks positioned in the oven while you're baking? That seems like a long time for a pre-bake.
    Crust turns out like a real "pan pizza" so pretty thick. I'll take pics next time of it cut, but I'd say 1/2" thick or more. The 10-12 min was for sure not too much.
    Stove is brand new frigidaire pro and I have a thermometer on the rack. It's for sure 500*. Rack is just 1 notch above middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    Yup 2 - 8”x16” got me a nice cooking surface that is nearly level to the lip of the kettle. For fuel I used 95% charcoal with a few hunks of dried applewood for a hint of smoke.

The metal is sheet aluminum from HD in the roofing section. Comes in 12” widths which I cut down to 8” tall and left the length the same. Measured out a slot the width of my peel and used sheet metal screws to finish.

Cost me $30 bucks tops.

For the price this think kicks ass!!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Ooni action

Name:  20201011_180200-01.jpeg
Views: 415
Size:  38.3 KB
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Ooni action

Name:  20201011_180200-01.jpeg
Views: 415
Size:  38.3 KB
    looks great! how do you like your ooni?

planning on getting one for my parents, would love some mag feedback

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

The Home-made Pizza thread

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    looks great! how do you like your ooni?

planning on getting one for my parents, would love some mag feedback

They are great as an oven. They are a lot of work and good luck eating with your dinner party if you are the one cooking. I’ve started setting it up where everyone is eating near the oven so I’m not just absent for the whole time. Assembly line works best when cooking many pies.

Damn good pizza though.

When using the wood pellets, get a good system to light it, or you’ll spend 15-20 minutes each time lighting it. It’s important to heat it up enough first to get the crisp crust on the bottom.

Get one with gas. Wood fired is such a massive PItA, I’m hoping I get the gas attachment for Christmas

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Just going to throw this channel out there:

North American Pizza & Culinary Academy
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7H...yBYL-TPkGxiHVw

This dude is waaaay better are presenting, explaining and teaching pizza making
    than the fancy pants so-called pizzaiolo super stars on the You Tubes.

The propane burner attachment on my ooni pro has been $$$. I crank it, let it run on full blast until it the stones are cresting 800* and then kick it back to 2/3 juice while I just hang out and cook pies for like 2 hours without messing with it. It's analogue for sure (with the associated learning curve) but not particularly fiddly in my experience.

Most people have never had pizza like it before though. People get all romantic about it but neapolitan pizza is burnt, just hopefully not too much. It's a bit of an acquired taste, especially for kids who are used to conveyor belt oven delivery pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    The propane burner attachment on my ooni pro has been $$$. I crank it, let it run on full blast until it the stones are cresting 800* and then kick it back to 2/3 juice while I just hang out and cook pies for like 2 hours without messing with it. It's analogue for sure (with the associated learning curve) but not particularly fiddly in my experience.

Most people have never had pizza like it before though. People get all romantic about it but neapolitan pizza is burnt, just hopefully not too much. It's a bit of an acquired taste, especially for kids who are used to conveyor belt oven delivery pizza.
    fucking killer

and yeah, I know what good pizza tastes like, and I love the taste of the combination of carbonized dough/dough/evoo/sauce/cheese; my only concern would be that the ooni wasn't capable of that style pizza. sounds like it is!

i'm buying this for my folks but with the possibility that if they don't like it, they'll give it to me. they camp in their trailer like 50 nights a year and it seems like a great thing to have handy.

gas burner was the plan, glad y'all confirmed. at just a few minutes baking time it's not like it takes on much of the smokey flavor anyway.

thanks for the great beta!!

I actually think the wood does give it a smokey and different taste.

I don’t burn it to the point of getting black. I like a good deep brown but try to avoid black. To do so you have to make sure the stone is and stays super hot. Otherwise the bottom won’t cook fast enough.

Haven't done this in a while, but I got my stone from my parents garage with a bunch of other stuff recently. A steel seems like a good upgrade, but the stone works. Gonna need to practice more until I'm happier with the results. Such a burden.

Beets, fennel, prosciutto, mozzarella, on pesto. The bottom crisped up nicely but I think I need to reconsider the toppings and moisture levels.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201013_211801.jpeg 
Views:	118 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	343432

You can always whack it under the broiler.

Yup, I probably should have but this is a start.

^^love the golden beets abraham, that looks absolutely delicious.

Name:	IMG_3526.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	343848

Name:	62451550963__9DAA6045-742E-46B2-81D7-902A8060CCEF.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	343849

The Home-made Pizza thread

Have looked into the Ooni but have settled into a nice routine with current set up. I heat the stone @ 550* for an hour and then get the charcoal Weber set up. Right after dumping out the charcoal I put 3-4 baseball sized oak chunks on the coals then the grate and put the hot stone on. Cook the pizza with the grill top on, takes 4-6 min/ pizza and has that slight hint of smokiness I like.

Spinach and hemp seed infused naan crust

Swiss, Irish Mild Cheddar, and Colby Jack cheeses.

Arugula and lemon slices

Homemade sauce (beets, carrots, celery, roma tomatoes, beefsteak tomatoes, tomatillos, onion, garlic, vinegar, lemon juice).

I baked the crust for 7-minutes at 500 degrees.
    Removed from oven.
    Then I laid down the cheese.
    Followed by the arugula and lemon slices.
    Then I covered it with the sauce and put a few leftover slices of cheese on top.
    Baked for another 5-minutes at 500 degrees.

I guess I will call this a "Truckee Deep Dish" as I still have not gotten a stone, so I rolled it out into a baking tray and the crust rose considerably during baking.

Name:	IMG_4891.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	348415
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Not quite as great as some here, but this one looks good. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20201122_175010889.jpeg 
Views:	78 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	349241