Page 35 of 63 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Haven't done this in a while, but I got my stone from my parents garage with a bunch of other stuff recently. A steel seems like a good upgrade, but the stone works. Gonna need to practice more until I'm happier with the results. Such a burden.

Beets, fennel, prosciutto, mozzarella, on pesto. The bottom crisped up nicely but I think I need to reconsider the toppings and moisture levels.Attachment 343432
    When I have topped with beets, I always enjoyed putting them down first, right on the crust and before the sauce and cheese, as they would "bleed" into the crust and leave behind cool patterns...
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    Have looked into the Ooni but have settled into a nice routine with current set up. I heat the stone @ 550* for an hour and then get the charcoal Weber set up. Right after dumping out the charcoal I put 3-4 baseball sized oak chunks on the coals then the grate and put the hot stone on. Cook the pizza with the grill top on, takes 4-6 min/ pizza and has that slight hint of smokiness I like.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

https://www.amazon.com/KettlePizza-P.../dp/B005SFJLOI
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

And here is the website for the company.
    Maybe not let Amazon get a piece of everything sold

https://www.kettlepizza.com/kettle-o...ill-inserts-2/

I have the Ooni Koda gas. When I first became aware of Ooni ovens, I was jonesing hard for the wood pellet one, believing it would be a night-and-day difference to gas. I got the Ooni Koda on black friday sale a year ago, and don't regret it one bit. The high heat and simplicity make up for being gas instead of wood. That's not to say I don't want a real, brick wood fired oven in my backyard at some point...

Even in my early days figuring the oven out, the pizzas were killer (no recent pics, sorry):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pizza3.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	448.6 KB 
ID:	349385

Name:	pizza2.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	509.9 KB 
ID:	349386

Name:	pizza1.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	559.3 KB 
ID:	349387

Name:	IMG_3803.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	349521

Sausage, mushrooms, caramelized red onions

That looks really good. I don't even care what the toppings are. Pizza!
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by BurnHard View Post
    I have the Ooni Koda gas. When I first became aware of Ooni ovens, I was jonesing hard for the wood pellet one, believing it would be a night-and-day difference to gas. I got the Ooni Koda on black friday sale a year ago, and don't regret it one bit. The high heat and simplicity make up for being gas instead of wood. That's not to say I don't want a real, brick wood fired oven in my backyard at some point...

Even in my early days figuring the oven out, the pizzas were killer (no recent pics, sorry):

Name:	pizza3.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	448.6 KB 
ID:	349385

Name:	pizza2.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	509.9 KB 
ID:	349386

Name:	pizza1.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	559.3 KB 
ID:	349387
    The Koda is sitting in my cart and am waiting to see what type of deal they offer on Black Friday... I have been using my Big Green Eggs for making pizzas and they do a decent job but the Ooni has intrigued the shit out of me... I have done a lot of digging into these and they just seem like an awesome cooking tool...

^^^ I've got the pro with the gas burner and have nothing but good things to say about it. Believe it or not, I actually have to turn the burner down cuz the stones will crest 1k if I keep it on high. Can cook pizzas for 2h straight with no fiddling. Do it!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    ^^^ I've got the pro with the gas burner and have nothing but good things to say about it. Believe it or not, I actually have to turn the burner down cuz the stones will crest 1k if I keep it on high. Can cook pizzas for 2h straight with no fiddling. Do it!
    Thanks Cruiser... I have watched about every YouTube video on the Ooni and there is a guy I now have subscribed to that gives the complete low down on the Do’s and Dont’s... He pre heats the atoms to around 800ish and as soon as he puts in a pie he lowers the flames to almost nothing... Once he pulls the pizza out he than raises the Ooni temp back up while he builds another pizza...

I have a 10% off coupon now but it looks like they do 20% on Black Friday... Either way I will have one ordered on Friday...

$100 off on the Koda 16, been looking at them for a while and just pulled the trigger. Ordered that and a 16” stainless peel. Looks like it'll be a while before I get it but I’ve got time. Looking forward to riverside pies at the Fonts this spring.

I bet a turkey and broccoli pie with some red pep flakes would be guuud.

are you ooni guys going 12 or 16?

Just placed my order for the Ooni 16... There are a couple of vids on YouTube comparing the 2 sizes that may be worth a look...

Doesn’t look like I will be getting mine for a couple of months...

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    A friend of mine is giving me one as thanks for a business referral. I went with the Karu 12 for the multi fuel option. I ordered the gas fitting thinking it might be more consistent. We played around with his a few weeks ago and had to keep feeding with wood to keep the heat high. (We did 6 pies) Also gas b/c of the fire bans we go thru here in the summer. Also checked with Ooni and pellets are also an optionn in this one.

Pizza Bianca. My wife is swearing off acidic foods for a while so no tomatoes. Pizza dough and diced bacon baked at 500 for 9 minutes. Cover with thinly sliced whole milk mozarella, carmelized onions in olive oil, bake another 2 minutes or so, cover with arugula and grated Peccorino Romano. My wife approves.

(I can put a little baking soda in tomato sauce to kill the acid but it also kills a lot of the flavor.)

You home-made pizza people should get over to the "Ask KQ Claus" thread and start posting up recs for pizza making gifts.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

There is no pizza making equipment in America that isn't sold out.

Pesto Garlic Shrimp last night. Should have thrown a few crushed tomatoes on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh hell ya. Add a few tomatoes and a little feta cheese too. And spinach if you want a party in your mouth.

I learned the hard way that putting too much stuff on a pizza isn't a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I learned the hard way that putting too much stuff on a pizza isn't a good idea.
    A little bit of each one is the trick.

Been eyeing the Ooni for a while now but just can't seem to justify the difference from my oven made pies. Using a Baking Steel and letting it heat at 550 for about 40 minutes yields great pizza IMO. So Ooni owners, convince me. Is it really that much better pizza/more convenient than oven style.
    Name:  IMG_2937.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  137.9 KB

That's a darn good looking pie. I think a lot of making a pie like that is technique, honed through experience. I don't think you could just buy an ooni and make better pizzas than that.

That said, the difference between cooking at 550 and 850 is not insignificant. The margin for error at 850 is lower for sure. But the upside is the ability to juxtapose textures in a way you simply couldn't at 550.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Higher temp / faster cook time definitely changes the texture of the dough. When you cook at +800F you get the moisture evaporating out of the dough much faster leading to a lighter chewier bread, larger air pockets making fluffy crust. More flavor develops in the dough too cooking hotter that does not happen when you’re around 500F. I was using a stone in the oven before and never realized how ‘dense’ the dough was before using my Ooni. Hands down my pizzas using the same dough are much better out of the Ooni.
    I’ve got a small take-n-bake pizza company in Tahoe, make a lot of pizzas in a standard oven, friends/customers love them. But when they get the Ooni pizzas I make at home it blows the take-n-bakes away. It also works great as a broiler for roasting veg/fish/meats real fast.
    Get the oven! Best $300 you’ll spend for an oven.

Quote Originally Posted by devlinc View Post
    Higher temp / faster cook time definitely changes the texture of the dough. When you cook at +800F you get the moisture evaporating out of the dough much faster leading to a lighter chewier bread, larger air pockets making fluffy crust. More flavor develops in the dough too cooking hotter that does not happen when you’re around 500F. I was using a stone in the oven before and never realized how ‘dense’ the dough was before using my Ooni. Hands down my pizzas using the same dough are much better out of the Ooni.
    I’ve got a small take-n-bake pizza company in Tahoe, make a lot of pizzas in a standard oven, friends/customers love them. But when they get the Ooni pizzas I make at home it blows the take-n-bakes away. It also works great as a broiler for roasting veg/fish/meats real fast.
    Get the oven! Best $300 you’ll spend for an oven.
    Great feedback, thanks. When you say "get the oven", you mean "get the ooni"?