Page 48 of 63 FirstFirst ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1555
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    That's a nice peel! What's the species of wood in the middle?

Tried to use my handmade wooden peel in the ooni and nearly caught it on fire. Evidently 850* is a little too warm for a wooden peel even for very brief contact as it instantly started smoking when it touched the stones. Still use my peel tons in the oven and on the grill but I had to switch to a metal one for the ooni.
    Paduk in the middle, walnut and maple on the edges. It's just as vibrant red as it is in the photo and the sawdust can stain. I almost have my garage cleaned back up after a month of chasing the dust around. Can't say I enjoyed working with it, but it looks good.

I'm only running a basic stone on the grill and keeping it around 425. It will smoke a tiny bit on pickup, but I made it to be used, not to be a show pony.

Keep in mind mineral oil (which wooden peels should be finished with) has a flash point around 325*F and will auto-ignite around 700*F. I wouldn't even think about a wooden peel in one of those super high temp ovens unless you want to be holding a torch.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

My wood peel is unfinished and still works after 25 years.

I’m getting better at recovering from sticky dough. I’m sure it’s due to poor technique and impatience, but it’s nice when a challenging launch doesn’t show in the final result.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9284.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	249.2 KB 
ID:	387931

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Gotta have a peel quiver,
    Agree about the mineral oil--no need.
    The purpose of mineral oil on kitchen products is to repel water, which isn't really necessary. and possibly stains.
    It doesn't keep the wood from drying out--wood, finished or not, will reach moisture equilibrium with the environment. Wood cracks when it expands and contracts due to changes in humidity.
    I lightly flour my wooden peel and use cornmeal. Wood for the in, metal for the out.
    Last edited by old goat; 10-05-2021 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    My wood peel is unfinished and still works after 25 years.
    And the wood hasn't dried out and split? Nice.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211008_175956_burst_01.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	898.9 KB 
ID:	388341
    Pizza night.

550 is not hot enough.....

Name:	IMG_20211010_190311695.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	388526

Sourdough starter is rolling good though. unintentionally did a wet rise and fermentation, this morning did a kneed with a little flour as it was so damn wet. Let it rise all day then got 2 pies.

Can someone edjumacate me on the advantages of starter or live yeast over dry active?

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post

Name:	IMG_20211010_190311695.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	388526

Sourdough starter is rolling good though. unintentionally did a wet rise and fermentation, this morning did a kneed with a little flour as it was so damn wet. Let it rise all day then got 2 pies.
    Get another oven thermometer. That pizza didn't come out of a true 550 degree oven unless it was only in there for about 4 minutes.

Anyone making "Detroit style" pizza at home and have a recipe/process? Just had a pretty decent one at a local spot and want to make at home. What kind of pan to use to start?

I've used this one for the dough itself: https://www.seriouseats.com/detroit-style-pizza-recipe

I use a normal square metal baking pan, I don't have the Detroit style one, and it's come out great. This is probably the most fool-proof style of at home pizza, also works well as GF if you have friends / fam that can't eat gluten.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Get another oven thermometer. That pizza didn't come out of a true 550 degree oven unless it was only in there for about 4 minutes.
    Agreed.

But that is the highest setting in the oven....

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Anyone making "Detroit style" pizza at home and have a recipe/process? Just had a pretty decent one at a local spot and want to make at home. What kind of pan to use to start?
    What is this “pan” you speak of?

If I were going to use a pan, I’d probably start with a 1-2” deep baking pan lined with parchment paper. If I were serious about it, I’d look into a stoneware or maybe cast iron pan.

I have nothing to contribute as far as recipes, other than the one vid I watched used EV olive oil in the dough and a little in the bottom of the pan.

Also, when using my kitchen oven which tops out around 550F, I’ll finish off under the broiler to get a little better top-browning.

Agreed.

But that is the highest setting in the oven....
    Try finishing the last couple minutes w/ the broiler on high.

I bought the Vevor Pizza Oven grill lid recently and have been pretty happy with the results. Use it to cook pizzas on the grill and get an even hotter temp (not sure exactly what I can get it to, but I believe hotter than 550). Way cheaper than Ooni. Lots of competitors or you could just make your own.

https://www.vevor.com/products/vevor...en-for-22grill

Maybe the problem is the wet dough. Is there sugar and oil in your dough? They can make the crust brown before it is really done.

The Home-made Pizza thread

This is just a rant, since I don't have any pics to share today. A while ago we had a pizza from a guy that sells in farmers markets and pop-up places (like taco truck nights at the park, etc). We thought it was one of the best pizzas we had tried (and he carries his awards in his stand, "Best pizza, 2020, by such and such magazine", etc)

Then the pandemic started and we decided to improve our pizza game. We make our sauces from scratch, with tomatoes and herbs from the garden when in season. For toppings, whatever is handy.

Last night we heard that there was going to be a food night at the park and that the pizza guy was going to be there. We decided to go and check it out, to see how we are doing. We thought that yeah, his crust is a little bit better than ours, and we use the regular kitchen oven so this doesn't help, but overall, the effort has been paying, our home made pizzas are close enough.

I may try 00 flour one day, and the Ooni oven sounds really good, but for now, I'm pretty happy with our pizzas. OK, rant over!

Edit: I found a picture of one of our recent dinners. Sautéed veggies topped with fresh arugula.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I have an Ooni but ever since we tried this recipe this is all we are eating…

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...=amp_playvideo

We even do the dough recipe in the food processor and turns out stellar every time…

Also, these are the pans we picked up from Amazon…:

Name:	Image1634612881.035082.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	333.8 KB 
ID:	389495

I grew up in Detroit but never had Detroit-style pizza. Never even heard of it. I worked at a pizzeria--I don't know what style of pizza. Back then pizza was pizza. The boss was a 30 something Italian immigrant but my guess is he learned to make pizza in the US. It definitely wasn't artisanal Neapolitan pizza. The first time I ever knew there was more than one kind of pizza was in my early 20's when I went to Chicago for a long weekend and ate at Due's.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I grew up in Detroit but never had Detroit-style pizza. Never even heard of it. I worked at a pizzeria--I don't know what style of pizza. Back then pizza was pizza. The boss was a 30 something Italian immigrant but my guess is he learned to make pizza in the US. It definitely wasn't artisanal Neapolitan pizza. The first time I ever knew there was more than one kind of pizza was in my early 20's when I went to Chicago for a long weekend and ate at Due's.
    Cool story boomer...

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    I have an Ooni but ever since we tried this recipe this is all we are eating…

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...=amp_playvideo

We even do the dough recipe in the food processor and turns out stellar every time…

Also, these are the pans we picked up from Amazon…:

Name:	Image1634612881.035082.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	333.8 KB 
ID:	389495

Yeah, this was the direction I was thinking. That recipe sounds pretty similar to what I had. Surely, I have a pan like that around here somewhere. Maybe I'll just make minis in a bread pan.

Pepperoni and pesto sourdough with a 72hr cold ferment on the dough. Anyone experimenting with letting their dough ferment more than 24hrs in the fridge?

Name:	IMG_6411.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	197.2 KB 
ID:	389960

Not experiment but I leave it in the fridge 24-72 hours or so, based more on when I feel like making dough and when I feel like making pizza. I can't say I notice any difference between 1 and 3 days but my sauce is spicy enough to hide any subtle flavors in the crust.

That is definitely one of the classier pizzas we've seen here. Certainly classier than miine.

Quote Originally Posted by devlinc View Post
    Pepperoni and pesto sourdough with a 72hr cold ferment on the dough. Anyone experimenting with letting their dough ferment more than 24hrs in the fridge?

Name:	IMG_6411.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	197.2 KB 
ID:	389960
    I do a bulk fermentation at room temp for 18 hours and then cold proof for about 60 hours. I can't tell much difference from the OG 72 hour recipe.
    Excellent results either way.

24 hrs at room temp, then either use immediately or fridge till needed, usually within 48 hrs.

I appreciate the shallow depth of field in devlinc’s photo. Classy pie, classier photo. Just needs a begging dog in the background, out of focus of course.