Page 27 of 63 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    It's a rectangle, how else would you do it?

I've heard about the steel vs stone argument--but it's usually the comparison done in an oven. I always make my pizza on the grill and the stone gets easily to 550+. My issue is more that the crust is done before the toppings.

Does a steel perform better on the grill as well?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Slicing a pizza in squares is an abomination.
    Pizza al taglio. Pretty widespread in Italy. And delicious with the right kind of pizza.

Heh. I remember in grade school trying to anticipate who was going to get served the corner slices of those big sheet tray abominations they made. Lots of jockeying in line based upon personal preference. The lunch ladies weren't stupid and would delight in mixing it up to negate any line switching we did.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Heh. I remember in grade school trying to anticipate who was going to get served the corner slices of those big sheet tray abominations they made. Lots of jockeying in line based upon personal preference. The lunch ladies weren't stupid and would delight in mixing it up to negate any line switching we did.
    Different school, exact same memory. Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by BurnHard View Post
    Pizza al taglio. Pretty widespread in Italy. And delicious with the right kind of pizza.
    A slice if pizza should have crust. That is the bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Different school, exact same memory. Crazy
    My preference was for edge, not corner IF they hadn't overcooked it and the edge was narrow, otherwise center all the way because moar calories from grease!

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post

I've heard about the steel vs stone argument--but it's usually the comparison done in an oven. I always make my pizza on the grill and the stone gets easily to 550+. My issue is more that the crust is done before the toppings.

Ran into this problem on my grill also. I think a lot of people put a stone above and below to help heat the top. I would just throw my pies under the broiler for a few mins.

Ha! A rectangle pie maximizes stone's acreage. Slices'd be .. 9" long and 1/2" wide at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Cheddar on a pizza?! The only way that's excusable is if there was a Canadian involved in making that pie.
    Oh man, try it. Sprinkling of Cabot white cheddar, between the sauce and W2W carpet of pepperoni. Other toppings above that, and mozz on top. like this:

Name:  IMG_8778.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  72.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Ran into this problem on my grill also. I think a lot of people put a stone above and below to help heat the top. I would just throw my pies under the broiler for a few mins.
    Gotcha. I just don't have a large upper shelf on my grill for this. I guess the broiler is an option but its just another step I'd like to avoid.

Gotcha. I just don't have a large upper shelf on my grill for this. I guess the broiler is an option but its just another step I'd like to avoid.
    I've thrown the empty crust directly on the grill grates at 425ish, let the bottom crisp .. remove, flip crust, install toppings, reinstall.
    Had the same problem with the stone getting too hot.

I would guess that your problem would be even worse with steel vs stone on the grill.
    Before I got the steel, stone on the grill was the only way that I'd get the bottom cooked properly. I would have the same issue with the top not getting done enough.
    Best strategy I found was put the stone on one side of the grill, turn all burners on high to heat up, then turn the burners under the stone down when I launch the za, leaving the other ones on high.

Now I've been going stone on the top rack of the oven, steel on the second rack. Pizza goes on the steel.
    Best pizzas I've made, hands down.

The stone vs. steel thing comes down to specific heat. The steel transfers heat faster.

As far as toppings not being 'done'.... I usually precook, depending on topping. Mushrooms are always sauted. Meat, other than pepperoni is cooked, etc. If the cheese isn't melty enough, maybe try putting some aluminum foil above the pizza to reflect heat back toward the top.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Having issues finding the cheese- Mozzarella or even the "pizza" cheese that is mixed Mozzarella is always sold out and not on the shelves when I go shopping lately. Looked yesterday and they had the small package of sliced Mozzarella only at the one store. Planty of shredded sharp cheese though.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Having issues finding the cheese- Mozzarella or even the "pizza" cheese that is mixed Mozzarella is always sold out and not on the shelves when I go shopping lately. Looked yesterday and they had the small package of sliced Mozzarella only at the one store. Planty of shredded sharp cheese though.
    I switched to sliced Boars Head whole milk mozzarella. It was a game changer. Ouie gouie stringy goodness.

Homemade sausage, homemade dough, homemade sauce. This was my first time trying the stone in the Weber. It seems to cook the crust much better but the toppings seem to cook better in the oven.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3DA2735C-12BC-4284-9302-5D3AB0593B47.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	209.2 KB 
ID:	324819

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Homemade sausage, homemade dough, homemade sauce. This was my first time trying the stone in the Weber. It seems to cook the crust much better but the toppings seem to cook better in the oven.

[ATTACH]324819[/

What? No homemade cheese? Slacker.
    Nice looking pie.

With some time on my hands for presumably the next month or so thought I’d take a stab at building a wood fired oven. I’d like to build it on a rolling cart which will need to be fairly sturdy given the assumed weight.

Has anyone done this before? This site seems like a good resource and then adapt to fit my needs.

https://www.fornobravo.com/pompeii-o...ii-oven-plans/

If anyone has any experience building one of these, any pointers would be appreciated.

2 thoughts:
    That is badass and everyone should want one of those in their yard.

That is going to need to sit on one hell of a sturdy cart cuz those ovens certainly weigh >1k#.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    2 thoughts:
    That is badass and everyone should want one of those in their yard.

That is going to need to sit on one hell of a sturdy cart cuz those ovens certainly weigh >1k#.
    Yeah that is my concern...have found some smaller versions made for a cart that would weigh significantly less but weight is a big deal.

https://www.instructables.com/id/My-...ed-Pizza-Oven/

This is more of a project to keep busy and if it’s great, then awesome. We’re going to do a major remodel in the next 24mo and will have a professionally installed version on the patio but thought this was a good covid-break project.

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    With some time on my hands for presumably the next month or so thought I’d take a stab at building a wood fired oven. I’d like to build it on a rolling cart which will need to be fairly sturdy given the assumed weight.

Has anyone done this before? This site seems like a good resource and then adapt to fit my needs.

https://www.fornobravo.com/pompeii-o...ii-oven-plans/

If anyone has any experience building one of these, any pointers would be appreciated.

I don't think you are going to be able to put it on something with wheels that will support it, and, if you do, I don't think you will be able to roll it. I don't have that one, but I have a similar one, and I could get a moving crew to even try it with it sitting on a pallet in my drive. A dude, a big, big dude, walked over to it, slipped a 2 x 4 into the pallet, and couldn't budge it an inch. He said we can't move that. I had to rent a pallet jack and get 2 guys to come move it into place using that.

where are you going to be moving this oven to and from?

you're going to need a flat solid surface to roll it on. concrete or asphalt will work here.

you're going to need a parking spot that can handle the load. concrete pad is better here. heavy things tend to sink when left in one spot on asphalt to long.

once you got that sorted, figure out what this oven is going to weigh. then get yourself some heavy duty metal castors that are rated for the load. like this sucker here.

https://www.castercity.com/heavy-duty-casters.htm

https://www.hamiltoncaster.com/Heavy-Duty-Casters

slap them puppies on and you'll be rollin' no matter how heavy the load...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    I don't think you are going to be able to put it on something with wheels that will support it, and, if you do, I don't think you will be able to roll it. I don't have that one, but I have a similar one, and I could get a moving crew to even try it with it sitting on a pallet in my drive. A dude, a big, big dude, walked over to it, slipped a 2 x 4 into the pallet, and couldn't budge it an inch. He said we can't move that. I had to rent a pallet jack and get 2 guys to come move it into place using that.
    What about 2 wheels elevated and only move like a dolly? That way the weight isnt sitting on the wheels. Seen many a big drill press and other machinery that has this setup. If not moved often should work.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    What about 2 wheels elevated and only move like a dolly? That way the weight isnt sitting on the wheels. Seen many a big drill press and other machinery that has this setup. If not moved often should work.

maybe, but I don't think one person to could lift the end of dolly with no wheels, and I'm not sure 2 could. I'm telling you, I was flabbergasted by the weight of that damn thing.

ETA: see post 569 of this thread for pics of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    maybe, but I don't think one person to could lift the end of dolly with no wheels, and I'm not sure 2 could. I'm telling you, I was flabbergasted by the weight of that damn thing.

ETA: see post 569 of this thread for pics of mine.
    Yeah moving a big drill press ain't easy either, but my idea should work with a few helpers when the time to move came. Surely not meant to be mobile. I have seen them on trailers a la food truck, but trailers are designed for weight, and honestly I never had a great pizza from one of them.