Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by somegeek View Post
    I've noticed that dough takes on a nice flavor after sitting in the fridge a few days to ferment.
    Hell yeah it does. It's amazing how much more flavor there is after 24h in the fridge. Any longer than that is probably bad as the bacteria will slowly start to decompose.

@JOnGaper: If you want to take your dough to the next level, drop the Costco flour. It's bleached and it makes a big difference in flavor development. It's definitely cheap though

Naw - you can leave it in there for a few days without worry. I've used dough after five days in the fridge. The yeast will consume more of the sugars but after five days of fermentation/retardation in the fridge, you still get some tasty crust.

On that note, I have a sourdough bread starter that's lived in my fridge for months with regular feedings. Folks keep these for years without issue.
    Huck the Joneses.

Yeah, but sourdough != pizza dough But I take your word, I'll try to retard my pizza dough for a few days next time see how that comes out.

I too have a sourdough culture which has survived months now with feedings & regular use.

I wish I could have something more to contribute here - the wife made an unreal pizza the other week, went a little something like this:

Whole wheat dough - spread thin (thin crust)
    homemade red sauce (no idea what's in it) spread lightly
    fresh mozzarella + provolone sliced thick
    artichokes with an xvergin olive oil/lemon sauce
    chicken spiced with the same olive oil/lemon/lemon pepper

I think that may be all, it sounds about right and was damn good.
    Before big games I shoot Rabies, it gives me the edge I need and it’s undetectable. Only idiot losers do steroids anymore...

I've been perfecting my dough since this thread's inception. I started out using cake yeast and got a nice dough, though I invariably got too much rise and not as much yeasty flavor as I would have liked. So, I made my own starter and tried again, still using a small amount of the cake yeast. I still got a bit too much rise, so tonight I went starter only and will see how it goes tomorrow for dinner. I'll say this, the starter dough was much tastier.

And, of course, here are a few shameless pizza pics. The first one is cake yeast only, the second two are probably 90/10 starter and cake yeast. The last one, while being the ugliest (and most lacking in cheese), was actually the best tasting due to the consistency of the crust. I'm cooking on a stone with the oven cranked to 600...usually about 5-6 minutes per pie.

Last edited by bagtagley; 02-04-2009 at 09:19 PM.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Couple questions.

Why the super high heat?

where do ya get the buffalo Mozz? theres expensive Mozz in our stores but they are usually very moist.

Does anyone throw a little corn meal on the stone before they toss the dough on?

Made a feta, bbq chicken, goat chease pizza last go round, I just can't seem to make a great thin crust.
    It’s the places you ride that are special, not you riding there.”

All stunts performed without a net!

SuperChief:

The high heat is the key to pizza. Check out Jeff Verasano's website - he's gone as far as rigging his oven door so he can cook with the ultra-hot cleaning cycle.

The Mozz is wet compared to what? I've had no problems with pretty moist cheese - I even use a tip from the above site - put a dab of sauce on each slice of Mozz to keep it a bit cooler and moist.

I never have trouble with my dough sticking to the stone (preheated in the oven), but it does want to stick to the counter or whatever surface I prep on.
    Youth is wasted on the young

So I have been broke lately and we had a bunch of a huge bag of mozzerella from Costco leftover from another thing. I have been making dough with whatever the cheapest "bread flour" from the store is that day. It's still pretty damn good.

I don't have a stone but I find if I set the oven at 475 (the highest my digital oven will let me go in bake mode) and let it preheat for 20 minutes, I can get a damn good crust on a cookie sheet with parchment underneath.

I add fresh basil, some real parmeggiano-reggiano, and then some sauce I have leftover from the above mentioned lasagna. I have also made a few pesto pies that are dank. I have enough dough to make another one tonight, I'll take a pic. Mmmmm....pizza.

slightly freeze the mozzarella prior to slicing if you want it thinner and more stable.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChief View Post
    Does anyone throw a little corn meal on the stone before they toss the dough on?.
    None on the stone, but I have to spread a little on the peel to keep the dough from sticking. I have a metal peel, which I think is part of the problem. I'll be getting a wooden deal one of these days.

That link Turd posted is pretty much what I've been following. I'm finding I disagree with a couple things he does, but for the most part it's a really solid guide. Ignore the part where he says that creating your own starter is 'alchemy', though. I created one with some advice from BurnHard and this guy, so it's not only possible, but also pretty simple.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Stoned Mntlion does not need to see this thread... this not he thread you are looking for (jedi hand wave)... you will go back to the couch and not ask Bee to make you pizza(jedi hand wave)... good Dave.

bump 4 Summer
    Basil Pesto & Turkey Sausage w/Onion
    "Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is" -Charles DeMar
    Never argue with an idiot..They always drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

oh man, i don't even want to wade into this pool.

i'll just let those who have indulged in my pizzatory creations chime in (BigKuba, V, Steven S. Dallas, Machlooney, Ottime and a few others).

i'm a little more bugged than all y'all and go for more "exotic" toppings like shitake mushrooms, beets, and edamame and i mess around with infusing my crusts (i only use whole wheat flour and then tweak it).

that said, GQ just published their Top 25 Pizzas in America article.

http://men.style.com/gq/features/lan...d=content_9178

other'n that, love the pix some of y'all posted...i haven't quite perfected the bubbling, airy crust yet, so those images are quite appealing.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

How is it that I missed this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by yonskion View Post
    bump 4 Summer
    Basil Pesto & Turkey Sausage w/Onion
    DING DING DING. We have a winner! DROOOOOOOOOOOOL

I've been grilling pizza for a couple of years, but recently I've moved away from sauce and just add thinly sliced romano's, garlic, basil, mozzarella and additional toppings if desired. Quick and easy.

simple but good

trader joes whole wheat dough
    italian pepperoni
    black olives
    (whish I had fresh shrooms )
    Newmans mushroom marinara
    small slice has dairy free cheese for gf

nice. but...

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    italian pepperoni
    Let's get this straight once and for all.

Italian peperoni =

Anyone have any tips/suggestions/thoughts on making the type of dough they use at Mellow Mushroom? I've done research, talked to employees, been directed towards the whole sale bakery that makes the dough, searched the internet, etc. but I still haven't had any success. I've heard "spring water" and molasses rather than sugar. Their dough is just so amazing and I want to figure out what it is. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Oh, yeah, I'll try to post some of my pizza pics later.

Both homemade dough, pizza pics:

Lots of stuff, though the crust was a little thin when it was put in the oven.

Homemade Pesto, Chicken, etc.

Going to try to make a calzone or two tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    Anyone have any tips/suggestions/thoughts on making the type of dough they use at Mellow Mushroom? I've done research, talked to employees, been directed towards the whole sale bakery that makes the dough, searched the internet, etc. but I still haven't had any success. I've heard "spring water" and molasses rather than sugar. Their dough is just so amazing and I want to figure out what it is. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Oh, yeah, I'll try to post some of my pizza pics later.
    Depends on just how mellow your mushrooms are, I guess. Try using some of their dough as a starter for your own? If it's their microflora culture that makes the dough special, that could help. Sugars other than refined table sugar do get munched by yeasts in different ways. Dough is as complex as beer -- lots of subtle changes can yield big differences.

Squirrelmurphy and I made pizza last night with this for toppings (plus homemade mozzarella):

and this crust:

and ended up with this:

full description on my blog here:

http://aggressivebaking.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Depends on just how mellow your mushrooms are, I guess. Try using some of their dough as a starter for your own? If it's their microflora culture that makes the dough special, that could help. Sugars other than refined table sugar do get munched by yeasts in different ways. Dough is as complex as beer -- lots of subtle changes can yield big differences.
    Interesting: thank you. I haven't done much with starter's and the like (been making dough on the "Artistan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day," which is awesome, by the way), but I'll give that some more investigation. Thanks.

-fool

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    Interesting: thank you. I haven't done much with starter's and the like (been making dough on the "Artistan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day," which is awesome, by the way), but I'll give that some more investigation. Thanks.

-fool
    When I think of Mellow Mushroom, I think of a sort of brittle, slightly hard shell on the crust. I'm pretty sure they give the crust a heavy dusting of corn meal to achieve that - is that what you're trying to do?

I'm not a big fan of their pizza, I prefer a thinner crust and fewer toppings - but I really miss their pretzels which I think is the same dough - if you figure the dough out, please post it here.
    Youth is wasted on the young

I see a lot of really great looking thin-crust pizzas here, but does anybody make Chicago-style deep dish? Bobby Flay made a pretty tasty looking pie on the Food Network last week.

Or am i only thinking about deep-dish pizza because i'm stuck on the couch, all hopped up on pain killers?
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot